|Other name||Manjula Swaroop (after marriage) Marriage Divorce|
|Profession(s)||Director, Producer, Actor|
|Known For||• Being the daughter of the late Telugu actor Krishna
• Being the sister of Mahesh Babu, a Tollywood Superstar
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 5”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt and Pepper|
|Debut||As an Actor
• Malayalam- Summer in Bethlehem (1998) as Aparna
• Tamil- Rajasthan (1999) as Terrorist Shabana
• Telugu- Show (2002) as Ridhima
As a Producer
• Telugu- Balachandrudu (1990)
As a Director
• Telugu- Manasuku Nachindi (2018)
|Awards||• Nandi Special Jury Award for Best Producer for the Telugu film Show (2001)
• 49th National Film Awards for the Telugu film Show (2001)
|Date of Birth||8 November 1970 (Sunday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||52 Years|
|Birthplace||Madras (now Chennai), Tamil Nadu, India|
|Hometown||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|Educational Qualification||She is a graduate Manjula Ghattamaneni's official website|
|Caste||Chowdhary (Kamma) The News Minute|
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||Sanjay Swaroop (producer and actor)
|Marriage Date||Year, 1999|
|Husband/Spouse||Sanjay Swaroop (producer and actor)
|Children||Daughter- Jhanavi Swaroop
|Parents||Father- Ghattamaneni Siva Rama Krishna Murthy (aka Krishna) (deceased) (actor)
Mother- Indira Devi (deceased) (homemaker)
• Ramesh Babu (elder; actor) (deceased)
• Mahesh Babu (younger; actor, and producer)
• Padmavathi Ghattamaneni (elder; producer)
• Priyadarshini Ghattamaneni (younger)
|Other Relatives||Stepmother- Vijaya Nirmala (actress, director, and producer) (deceased)
Stepbrother- Vijaya Krishna Naresh (elder; actor, politician, and social activist)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Manjula Ghattamaneni
- Manjula Ghattamaneni is an Indian businesswoman, actor, producer, and director, who has worked in several well-known Telugu films. She is known to be the daughter of the Telugu superstar Krishna, who died on 15 November 2022 in a hospital in Hyderabad, Telangana, India. NDTV
- After completing her formal education, Manjula Ghattamaneni began working as an assistant director with her father. In 1990, she assisted Krishna in directing the Telugu films Balachandrudu and Anna Thammudu.
- Later, Manjula Ghattamaneni expressed her desire of pursuing a career as an actor; however, her father rejected the idea of her becoming an actress. After her idea was rejected by her father, Manjula continued to work with her father as an Assistant Director. Talking about it in a blog post, she said,
My interest in acting became a strong desire now. Gathering all my guts, I broke the news to my dad and family that I want to be an actress. They told me firmly that under no circumstances can this happen. So, I continued my journey as an assistant director.”
- While working as an Assistant Director, Manjula prepared a portfolio of herself and showed it to her father after which she once again requested him to let her become an actress. This time, however, her father accepted her request and publically announced that he would be launching her as an actress in a film. The announcement of Manjula becoming an actress did not go well with the public, who resented it as a result of which Krishna had to withdraw the announcement.
- Later, Manjula shifted to Bombay, where she, with the help of a friend, tried to circulate her photographs in different advertisement agencies to get a break.
- Later, Krishna announced that he would launch Manjula in a film; however, he once again had to take back the announcement as it received public criticism. Talking about it, she said,
Realizing how much it meant to me to be an actress, once again, my dad planned my movie career as an actress. He set up a great project and made an announcement again that I was going to be acting. The minute the news was out, thousands of my dad’s fans came to his studio with black clothes and kerosene bottles, saying that they were going to burn themselves if he did not take back the announcement he made about me. Padmalaya studio was filled with fans staging a dharna. My dad had no choice but to take back the announcement.”
- Later, Manjula received an acting offer; however, it could not materialise as her brother Mahesh Babu was about to make a debut as a lead actor in the Telugu film industry.
- In 1998, Manjula made her acting debut with the Malayalam film Summer in Bethlehem, where she played the role of a character named Aparna.
- Later, she founded Indira Productions after which she produced and acted in the Telugu film Show. The film was awarded the National Film Award for being the Best Feature Film in 2001.
- In 2004, Manjula produced Naani, a Telugu film featuring Mahesh Babu and Ameesha Patel. The film, however, was a flop. Talking about the film, Manjula said,
I put a project together with the powerhouse of the best talents onboard- Mahesh Babu, AR Rahman, Ameesha Patel, and S J Surya. I didn’t imagine even in my wildest dreams that this movie would be a flop. So when it flopped, it hurt me. Failure hurts badly.”
- In 2006, Manjula co-produced a Telugu film titled Pokiri, which won the Nandi Award for Best Popular Feature Film in the same year.
- In 2009, she played the role of Pooja in the Telugu film Kavya’s Diary. Manjula co-produced the film with her husband, Sanjay Swaroop.
- In 2010, Manjula was seen in the Telugu film Orange in which she played the role of Ram’s sister. The role of Ram was played by Ram Charan.
- In the same year, Manjula co-produced a romantic drama Telugu film titled Ye Maaya Chesave.
- In 2013, Manjula appeared in the Telugu vigilante film Sevakudu. In the film, she played the role of a character named after herself.
- Manjula made her directorial debut in 2018 with Manasuku Nachindi, which is a Telugu romantic drama film.
- In 2019, Manjula announced that she is producing a Telugu web series titled Nasha in which she will be playing an important role alongside Hansika Motwani.
- In 2021, Manjula played the role of a therapist named Dr Mitra in the Telugu film Malli Modalaindi.
- While talking about her acting career, Manjula once claimed that when her dreams of becoming an actress weren’t materialising, she got depressed for a long while. To get over depression, she began practising yoga and meditation. Talking about it, she said,
I had a dream of becoming an actor. Fans didn’t want me to act as they respected my dad so much that they couldn’t accept his daughter to be romancing and running around trees with other heroes. Not just the fans but also the rest of my family, relatives, and society – no one could accept me becoming an actress. I felt victimized and could not accept it. The idea of giving up acting was so depressing that I just couldn’t cope up. I hit the rock bottom of my life. I lost all confidence as a person. I thought I was useless, a failure. I struggled to get out of bed every morning. I could not do even small things. To overcome this, I read books, attended transformational classes. They helped me to some extent but could not give me all the answers. One night, just out of sheer frustration, I started praying. As I started meditating regularly, I understood my belief about acting was contradictory to what I wanted. I want to be an actress, but somewhere I had this incorrect belief that it was not respectable for girls to act. For the first time in my life, I became aware of it. The minute I realized this belief in me, I gradually started changing my belief to – “it is okay for women to be in the movies.”
- While talking about her husband Sanjay Swaroop, Manjula said that she fell in love with him when they first met. She also said that since Sanjay was from a different caste, her parents opposed their marriage. It took Manjula seven years to convince her parents. During an interview, she said,
My dad and the rest of the family were against our love as Sanjay, and I are from different castes. It took me seven years to convince my family, and with the blessings of our families, we are married. Sanjay is my best friend, my soul mate, and my perfect partner.”
- Manjula is an avid dog lover. She has a pet dog named snowy.
- While giving an interview, Manjula said that she has been practising meditation for the last 30 years and has mediated for over 10,000 hours. Talking about it, she said,
I have invested over 30 years of my life in self development. On this journey of self development, I met many Masters and teachers who taught me great truths about life. I meditated for 20 years and also have completed more than 10,000 hours of meditation.”
- Manjula is a businesswoman. She owns Sow Fresh.