Hometown: Jhajjar, Haryana
Age: 19 Years
|Famous For||Winning a Gold Medal and setting a new Commonwealth Games record at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in feet inches- 5’ 4”
|Event(s)||• 10 m Air Pistol
• 25 m Air Pistol
• In 10 m air pistol at the 2018 Guadalajara ISSF World Cup
• In 10 m air pistol mixed team at the 2018 Guadalajara ISSF World Cup
• In 10 m air pistol at the 2018 Buenos Aires Youth Olympic Games
• In 10 m air pistol at the 2018 Goldcoast Commonwealth games
• In 10 m air pistol mixed team at the 2019 New Delhi ISSF World Cup
• In 10m air pistol mixed team at the 2019 Beijing ISSF World Cup
• In 10m air pistol mixed team at the 2019 Munich ISSF World Cup
• In 10m air pistol mixed team at the 2019 Rio de Janeiro ISSF World Cup
• In 10m air pistol at the 2019 Doha Asian Shooting Championships
• In 10 m air pistol mixed team at the 2019 Doha Asian Shooting Championships
• In 10m air pistol at the 2019 Putian China ISSF World Cup
• In 10 m air pistol mixed team at the 2018 Buenos Aires Youth Olympic Games
|Records (main ones)||• Youngest Indian to win a gold medal at the ISSF World Cup (at the 2018 ISSF World Cup)
• Second Youngest Indian to win a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games (at the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games)
• At the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, she set a new Commonwealth Games record of 240.9 points
• She broke the junior world record with her score 244.7 to win a gold medal in 10m air pistol at the 2019 Putian China ISSF World Cup
|Date of Birth||18 February 2002|
|Age (as of 2021)||19 Years|
|Birthplace||Goria village, Jhajjar, Haryana|
|School||Universal Public Senior Secondary School, Jhajjar, Haryana|
|Hobbies||Doing needle-work, bungee-jumping, ice-skating|
|Controversy||On 4 January 2019, she posted screenshots of Haryana sports minister Anil Vij' tweet in which he had promised her cash award of ₹2 crore on behalf of the Haryana government. Later, the minister slammed her for creating controversy over prize money.
|Boys, Affairs & More|
|Parents||Father- Ram Kishan Bhaker (a chief engineer in the Merchant Navy)
Mother- Sumedha (a school teacher)
|Siblings||Brother- Akhil (image in the Parents' section)
|Shooter(s)||Jaspla Rana, Heena Sidhu|
|Food(s)||Namkeen Rice, Gajjar Ka Raita, Choorma|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Manu Bhaker
- Manu Bhaker was born to a Merchant Navy Chief Engineer in a village in the Jhajjar district of Haryana.
- She has a great inclination towards sport since her childhood.
- Before joining Pistol Shooting, she was interested in Cricket and had also joined Virender Sehwag‘s coaching school in Jhajjar.
- Earlier, she also used to do Boxing and Kick-Boxing as well. She was inspired by Mary Kom‘s Olympic bronze.
- She decided to quit boxing after she had a swollen eye while playing volleyball as a warm-up routine for boxing.
- Then, Manu Bhaker switched to Thang-Ta, a popular martial art form of Manipur.
- Soon, she also left Thang-Ta, after she was robbed of a medal during a tournament in Delhi.
- The next day of quitting Thang-Ta, Manu Bhaker enrolled at a judo academy near Dadri. However, it didn’t excite her as much, and she left Judo also.
- Then on one day, she visited her school’s shooting range and casually took a pistol and straightaway shot 7.5. The coach was astonished as it normally takes 6-months to a year to shoot so accurately.
- Since her first tryst with a pistol, Manu Bhaker has been raved about as India’s next big shooting sensation.
- With her father’s ₹1.5 lakh investment to undergo competitive shooting, Manu’s first international success came in 2017 when she won the silver medal at the 2017 Asian Junior Championships.
- At the 2017 National games held in Kerala, she won 9 gold medals, there, she also defeated Heena Sidhu (multiple World Cup medalist), and also broke Sidhu’s record of 240.8 points, scoring 242.3 points in the final.
- At the 2018 International Shooting Sport Federation World Cup held in Guadalajara, Mexico, Manu Bhaker defeated Mexico’s Alejandra Zavala (a two-time champion) and won the gold medal in the Women’s 10-meter air pistol. She also became the youngest Indian to win a gold medal at the World Cup.
- At the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, Manu Bhaker set a new Commonwealth Games record of 240.9 points.
- Manu Bhaker’s parents say that she is such an adventurous and fearless girl that once during a bungee-jumping in Shimla, she didn’t even wait for the instructor’s advice to jump off the platform.
- During an interview, she revealed that she hates talking about her chances of being on the podium.
- Manu’s father is not fully convinced that she would stick to shooting forever. He further says, “I wouldn’t be surprised if she tells me one day that she wants to quit the sport, even if she has won an Olympic medal. Woh alag type ki ladki hai.”
- Here’s an interesting video about Manu Bhaker’s biography: