Age: 24 Years
Marital Status: Unmarried
|Full Name||Pusarla Venkata Sindhu|
|Profession||Indian Badminton player|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters- 179 cm
in meters- 1.79 m
in Feet Inches- 5' 10 1⁄2"
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 65 Kg
in Pounds- 150 lbs
|International Debut||2009 Sub-Junior Asian Badminton Championships in Colombo|
|Awards, Achievements (main ones)||• Sindhu won a Bronze medal at the 2009 Sub-Junior Asian Badminton Championships held in Colombo.
• The star player bagged Silver in the women's singles at Iran Fajr International Badminton Challenge in 2010.
• On 7 July 2012, she won the Asia Youth Under-19 Championship.
• Sindhu's performance at Malaysian open 2013 made her win the maiden Grand Prix Gold title.
• Arjuna Award (2013)
• Bagged Bronze medals at consecutive World Championship in 2013 & 2014.
• Won a Gold medal at the 2016 Guwahati South Asian Games (Women's Team).
• Secured a Silver at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
• Padma Shri (2015)
• Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award (2016)
• Won a Silver medal the at 2018 Asian Games in Women's singles.
• In 2018, she became the first sportsperson in Forbes India's first list of 22 Young Achievers.
• In 2018, she became the first Indian To Win BWF World Tour Finals.
|Career Turning Point||Winning a Gold at the 2011 Douglas Commonwealth Youth Games singles event|
|Highest Ranking||9 (in March 2014)|
|Date of Birth||5 July 1995|
|Age (as in 2019)||24 Years|
|School||Auxilium High School, Secunderabad|
|College||St. Ann's College for Women, Mehdipatnam|
|Family||Father- P. V. Ramana
Mother- P. Vijaya
Sister- Divyaram Pusarla (elder)
|Hobbies||Watching movies, Doing Yoga|
|Favourite Actor(s)||Mahesh Babu & Prabhas (Tollywood), Hrithik Roshan & Ranveer Singh (Bollywood)|
|Favourite Actress||Deepika Padukone|
|Favourite Food||Biryani, Ice-creams, Pasta, Pizza|
|Favourite Athlete(s)||Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Usain Bolt|
|Favourite Superhero||Wonder Woman|
|Boys, Affairs and More|
Some Lesser Known Facts About P. V. Sindhu
- Does P. V. Sindhu smoke: No
- Does P. V. Sindhu drink alcohol: Not Known
- In her childhood, Sindhu wanted to become a doctor.
- Sindhu’s elder sister, Divyaram Pusarla, was a national-level handball player who later became a doctor.
- She started playing badminton at the age of just 8 and a half year.
- Sindhu learned the basics of sports at the Indian Railway Institute in Secunderabad under the guidance of Mehboob Ali. Later she joined Pullela Gopichand’s badminton academy and is currently coached by him. Notably, Gopichand is also Indian Badminton team’s chief coach.
- She was named the 2014 NDTV Indian of the year.
- Sindhu’s Parents are former Volleyball players.
- In the year 2000, her father P. V. Ramana was awarded the Arjuna Award for his contribution in Volleyball.
- Her best performance came in 2012 Li Ning China Masters Super Series competition when she defeated the 2012 London Olympics gold medalist Li Xuerui of China.
- In 2013, she became the first Indian women’s singles player to win a medal at the Badminton World Championship.
- on 30 March 2015, she received India’s 4th highest civilian honour- Padma Shri.
- In 2016, Sindhu made her entry into the Rio Olympics finals by defeating Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara in the semifinals and became the first Indian shuttler to reach the finals of Olympics.
- In the finals of Rio Olympics, P. V. Sindhu was defeated by Spain’s Carolina Marin in the 83-minute match.
- Soon after her Silver win at the Rio Olympics, her caste became highly searched on Google.
- After her Silver at the 2016 Rio Olympics, the Andhra Pradesh Government appointed her as the Deputy Collector.
- Sindhu secured the World Tour title after defeating Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara in the 2018 World Tour final.
- In 2018, Forbes ranked her at seventh position in its list of “Highest-Paid Female Athletes.” The same year, she also stood first on the Forbes India’s first list of 22 Young Achievers.
- Sindhu considers Sachin Tendulkar her role model and her coach, Pullela Gopichand, inspiration.
- Sindhu has featured on the cover of many popular magazines including GRAZIA, JFW, and ELLE.