|Full Name||Chungneijang Mary Kom Hmangte|
|Nickname||Mary Kom, Magnificent Mary|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 160 cm
in meters- 1.60 m
in feet inches- 5’ 3”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 60 kg
in pounds- 132 lbs
|Date of Birth||1 March 1983|
|Age (as in 2018)||35 Years|
|Birth Place||Kangathei, Manipur, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Pisces|
|Hometown||Kangathei, Manipur, India|
|School||Loktak Christian Model High School, Moirang, Manipur, India
St. Xavier Catholic School, Moirang, Manipur, India
Adimjati High School, Imphal, India
|College||Churachandpur College, Manipur, India (Manipur University)|
|First Coach||K. Kosana Meitei (Imphal, India)|
|Debut||Domestic: State Boxing Championship (2000)
International: Women's World Amateur Boxing Championship (2001)
|Career Turning Point||Summer Olympics 2012|
|Family||Father- Mangte Tonpa Kom (Farmer, Ex- Wrestler)
Mother- Mangte Akham Kom
Siblings- Chung, Nei, Jang (Younger)
|Hobbies||Martial Arts, Travelling, Watching TV, Singing|
|Favourite Food||'Tahini', 'Falafel'|
|Favourite Actress||Priyanka Chopra|
|Favourite Singer||Lata Mangeshkar|
|Favourite Sports||Volleyball, Football, Athletics, Wrestling|
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Affair/Boyfriend||Karung Onkholer Kom (Footballer)|
|Husband/Spouse||Karung Onkholer Kom (Footballer)|
|Children||Sons- Rechungvar Kom, Khupneivar Kom (Twins- b.2007), Prince Kom (b.2013)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mary Kom
- Does Mary Kom smoke?: Not Known
- Does Mary Kom drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Mary Kom is an Indian boxer who belongs to Kom tribal community in the north-eastern state of Manipur.
- She came from a poor family where her parents worked for Jhum cultivation.
- Up to 8th standard, she studied in the village school and later in the 9th and 10th standard moved to Imphal. However, when she failed in her exams, she dropped out of school and decided to give her 10th exams privately.
- From her childhood, she was good at sports and got inspired by Indian boxer Dingko Singh, finally, at the age of 15, she decided to pursue the boxing as a career.
- She kept her interest towards boxing a secret from her father as he was concerned that boxing would hurt her face and spoil her chances of marriage.
- In 2001, when she participated in the national games, she met her husband Onler who was a law student at the Delhi University where they fell in love and got married in 2005.
- After marriage, she blessed with twin boys (2007), another son (2013) and took a break from boxing and soon resumed the boxing and won a silver medal in Asian Woman’s Boxing Championship in 2008.
- She is the only woman boxer who won a medal in each one of the six world championships and a 5 times ‘World Amateur Boxing Champion’.
- She has also been ranked as No. 4 in AIBA World Women’s Ranking Flyweight category.
- She has been honoured with the 3rd highest civilian award of India- ‘Padma Bhushan’, apart from several awards and accolades, she has also been awarded with National awards like ‘Arjuna Award’ and ‘Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna’.
- She is the brand ambassador for ‘Super Fight League’ and has also appeared on its final episode.
- On 26 April 2016, she was nominated by the President of India as a member of the Parliament in the Rajya Sabha.
- In March 2017, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India, designated her, along with Indian boxer Akhil Kumar, as a national observer for boxing.
- Apart from boxing, she has also done several ad campaigns.
- Here is the detailed interview with ‘Magnificent Mary’:
- Besides being a boxing champion, she has also got a melodious voice, and in 2018, she took social media by storm by singing Lata Mangeshkar‘s popular song “Ajeeb Dastan Hai Ye.”
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)