Age: 49 Years
Wife: G. R. Sailaja
|Full Name||Vangipurapu Venkata Sai Laxman|
|Nickname||Very Very Special, Lachu Bhai|
|Profession||Former Indian Cricketer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 185 cm
in meters- 1.85 m
in Feet Inches- 6’ 1”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 72 kg
in Pounds- 159 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx.)||- Chest: 42 Inches
- Waist: 36 Inches
- Biceps: 14 Inches
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|International Debut||Test- 20 November 1996 vs South Africa at Ahmedabad
ODI- 9 April 1998 vs Zimbabwe at Cuttac
|International Retirement||Test- 24 January 2012 vs Australia at Adelaide
ODI- 3 December 2006 vs South Africa at Centurion
|Domestic/State Team||Deccan Chargers, Hyderabad (India), Kochi Tuskers Kerala, Lancashire|
|Nature on field||Cool
|Likes to play against||Australia
|Favourite Shot||Leg Flick|
|Records (main ones)||• His knock of 281 runs against Australia in 2001 is rated as the greatest Test performance of the last fifty years.
• He is one among the few cricketers to score 3 centuries in a single ODI Series.
• He holds the record of maximum catches (12) by a non wicket-keeper in a single ODI Series.
• He share the world record for the highest partnership (376 runs) along with Rahul Dravid in the third inning of a Test match.
• By scoring 1217 runs at Eden Gardens, he became the second Indian cricketer to score 1000 or more runs with an average more than 100 at a single ground.
|Career Turning Point||In 2001, when he knocked 281 runs against Australia at the Eden Gardens.|
|Date of Birth||1 November 1974 (Friday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||49 Years|
|Birthplace||Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh (now Telangana)|
|Hometown||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|School||Little Flower High School, Hyderabad
Note: He scored 98% marks in the Andhra Pradesh board exams in science stream. The Hindu
|College/University||Teri University, New Delhi|
|Educational Qualifications||Honorary Doctorate Degree|
|Family||Father- Dr. V. Shantaram (Physician)
Mother- Dr. V. Satyabhama (Physician)
Brother- VVS Ramakrishna
|Hobbies||Playing Badminton and Sqash, Watching Lawn Tennis matches, Reading|
|Food||Continental Foods, South Indian Cuisines|
|Cricket Ground||Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bangalore,
Eden Gardens, Kolkata
|Actor(s)||Amitabh Bachchan and Aamir Khan|
|Girls, Family & More|
|Wife||G. R. Sailaja, Post Graduate in Computer Applications (married 2004)|
|Children||Daughter- Achinthya Laxman
Son- Sarvajit Laxman
Some Lesser Known Facts About V. V. S. Laxman
- Does V. V. S. Laxman smoke?: No
- Does V. V. S. Laxman drink alcohol?: No
- Laxman’s parents are noted physicians.
- Before coming into cricket, he had to opt between the fields of medicine and cricket, and he went for the latter.
- He is the great-grand-nephew of India’s second President Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.
- Laxman had to wait 3 years for his first Test Century.
- His uncle, Baba Krishna Mohan, has a great contribution to shaping his cricket career.
- In the Under-19 International Game, Laxman and Brett Lee played their first match in the same match against each other.
- His first and the last ODI match ended with a duck.
- Laxman is an ardent devotee of Sathya Sai Baba.
- He never got a chance to play in a World Cup Match.
- In 2002, he was named one of the Wisden Cricketers of the Year.
- In 2021, he was appointed as the head of the National Cricket Academy, Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- In July 2022, Laxman was appointed to the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Men’s Cricket Committee along with former New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori. Hindustan Times
- During a 2007 test match in Cape Town against South Africa, the batting order for the Indian team had VVS Laxman slated to bat at Number 5 and Sourav Ganguly at Number 6. However, a few Indian wickets fell rapidly, causing chaos in the dressing room. Meanwhile, due to technical reasons, Sachin Tendulkar was delayed from taking the field for a few more minutes. Unexpectedly, it was Laxman’s turn to bat sooner than anticipated, but he was in the shower at that moment. Rahul Dravid, the non-striking batsman, was expecting Sachin Tendulkar to join him on the field, but instead, it was Sourav Ganguly who emerged from the pavilion. This was revealed in the book ‘’281 and Beyond’’ written by Laxman with R. Kaushik. The Hindu
- In 2023, Laxman was named the coach of India’s men’s cricket team for the Asian Games 2023.