Mehbooba Mufti Age, Husband, Children, Family, Biography & More
Marital Status: Divorced
Hometown: Anantnag, J&K
Age: 61 Years
|Full Name||Mehbooba Mufti Sayeed|
|Nickname||"Daddy's Girl" (in Kashmir)|
|Political Party||Jammu and Kashmir People's Democratic Party
|Political Journey||1996: Became an MLA from Bijbehara on an Indian National Congress ticket.
1999: Became Vice-President of the Jammu and Kashmir Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). The same year she contested the parliamentary elections from Srinagar, where she lost to the sitting member Omar Abdullah.
2002: She again became an M.L.A. from Pahalgam, defeating Rafi Ahmed Mir.
2004: She was elected a Member of Parliament from Anantnag.
2014: She was again elected a Member of Parliament from Anantnag.
2016: On 4 April, she became the 1st woman Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir.
2018: On 19 June 2018, she resigned from the post of Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir; as the BJP pulled out of the coalition with the People's Democratic Party (PDP) in Jammu and Kashmir.
2021: On 22 February, she was re-elected as the president of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).
|Biggest Rival||Omar Abdullah|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 161 cm
in meters- 1.61 m
in feet inches- 5’ 3”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 60 kg
in pounds- 132 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||22 May 1959|
|Age (as of 2020)||61 Years|
|Birthplace||Bijbehara, Jammu and Kashmir, India|
|Hometown||Anantnag, J&K, India|
|College/University||The University of Kashmir|
|Educational Qualification||B.A. from the University of Kashmir
LLB from the University of Kashmir
|Family||Father- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed (Politician)
Mother- Gulshan Ara (Politician)
Brother- Mufti Tasaduq Sayeed (Cinematographer)
Sister- Rubaiyya Sayeed
|Address||Fair View Gupkar Road, Srinagar- 3, Anantnag, J&K, India|
|Hobbies||Reading, Writing, Travelling|
|Controversies||• In 2016, she attracted controversy when she decided to approve compensation for Khalid Muzaffar Wani’s family. Khalid was the brother of slain Hizbul Mujahideen militant Burhan Wani who was killed by the security forces on 8 July 2016. She said, “Militant Aur Militant Ki Family Mein Hume Farq Karna Padega, Unko Ek hi Nazar Se Nahin Dekh Sakte (We have to differentiate between militants, and their families. (We) cannot look at both in the same manner).” Mufti's statement was condemned by a majority of political parties including the BJP and the Congress.
• In July 2016, she again fell prey to the controversy by making a statement inside the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly in which she quoted, "they [Kashmiri Pandits] can’t return to their original homes in the current atmosphere." She likened their homecoming to "throwing pigeons among the cats." Mufti drew a lot of flak from various quarters, for this erroneous "pigeon-cat" analogy.
• In August 2019, she was detained after the central government had ended Jammu and Kashmir's special status under Article 370 and bifurcated the state into two Union Territories. NDTV
• In October 2020, the central government called off her detention, and while speaking to media for the first time after her release, she said that she would not fly the national flag of India until the changes made by the central government in August 2019 were rolled back, she also demanded the restoration of Jammu and Kashmir's separate flag. Her statement was considered derogatory to the Indian national flag and various protests across against her statement took place across the country. On 27 October 2020, three leaders, TS Bajwa, Ved Mahajan, and Hussain A Waffa, quit Mehbooba Mufti's People's Democratic Party (PDP) in Jammu and Kashmir saying her remarks on the national flag had "hurt patriotic sentiments." NDTV
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Husband/Spouse||Javed Iqbal Shah (animal rights activist)
|Marriage Date||Year 1984|
Daughters- Irtiqa Iqbal (Indian Foreign Service Officer), Iltija Iqbal (Works in Film Industry)
|Net Worth||Rs. 52 lakh (as of 2014)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mehbooba Mufti
- She was born in a rich Kashmiri Saeed family in Akhran Nowpora, J&K.
- She was a brilliant student and was the topper of her school.
- Initially, Mehbooba had no interest in politics. However, she came into the limelight after the kidnapping of her sister Rubiya Saeed in 1989. At that time, her father, Mufti Mohammad Sayeed, was the Union Home Minister in the V. P. Singh Government. She became famous in media at that time because she was giving lots of interviews to the media.
- Her sister was released when, after a hectic drama for a few days, 5 terrorists were released in exchange of Rubiya.
- It was in 1996 that she actively involved in the politics. Her father had joined the Congress and Congress gave her a ticket to fight Assembly election from Bijbehara, which she won comfortably.
- However, 3 years later, Mufti Mohammed Saeed quit Congress and formed his own party- PDP. He appointed Mehbooba the Vice President of the party.
- Mehbooba’s mother is also a politician and had contested the 1996 J&K Assembly elections. However, she had lost that election.
- Her brother, Mufti Tasaduq Sayeed, has no interest in politics and is working as Cinematographer. His work was appreciated in Vishal Bhardwaj‘s films Omkara and Kaminey.
- Mehbooba doesn’t enjoy a successful marriage life as she is a divorcee. She has 2 daughters, Irtiqa Iqbal and Iltija Iqbal. Irtiqa works in London at the Indian High Commission while Iltija is involved in the Indian Film Industry.