Wife: Sushma Vaidya
Education: Diploma In Music
Age: 59 Years
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mohan Vaidya
- He was born and brought up in Purasawalkam, Tamil Nadu.
- Mohan Vaidya comes from a family having a background in the field of music. His father, K.M. Vaidyanathan was a Ghatam Vidwan and his mother, Vasantha Vaidyanathan was a Vainika.
- It was his father who brought Mohan and his siblings into the musical world. However, it was his uncle, G. Ramanathan, celebrated film composer, who had a greater influence on his music career.
- Mohan’s voice did not break until he reached his late 20s. On the change of his voice’s pitch, Mohan says-
I had a clearly feminine voice and even sang for Kamesh’s light music troupe when I was in Class 6. In fact, my nickname those days was ‘Mayil. In college, my voice came in handy when my friends had to call their girlfriends!”
- After his college, Mohan learned violin from Radha Sundaresan followed by vocal lessons from various gurus such as Tiruvavur Sethuraman, Srirangam Ranganathan, K.C. Thyagarajan (he did Gurukulam for six years with him) and Anayampati Ganesan.
- Thereafter, he went to Delhi, where he met dancer Saroja Vaidyanathan and started singing for her. He went on to lend his voice to Vilasini Natyam exponent Swapnasundari, Leela Samson, Yamini Krishnamurthy and Bharathi Shivaji.
- With these associations, Mohan got attracted to dancing and started learning the art.
- He also appeared in the show ‘Sevikkum Suvaikkum’ where he combined ragas and recipes.
- Thereafter he returned to Chennai where ‘Ragam Sangeetham’ happened.
- In 2002, he appeared as Abitha’s uncle in the Telugu Film “Seshu.”
- He has also judged the Zee Tamil TV show “Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge.”
- In 2005, he did the role of Krishna in the Tamil Film “Anniyan.”
- He is the owner of Chennai’s Mohan Vaithya Anusham Academy and Sai Sishya Music Schools, where they teach children B-Boying, Hip-Hop, Locking Popping, Zumba, Kathak, Salsa, Contemporary and Hula Hoop.
- Mohan was also honoured by the then President of India, A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.
- He loves cooking, and in 2015, he appeared in the Celebrity Kitchen Show.