Some Lesser Known Facts About Monali Thakur
- Monali Thakur is a well-known Indian singer.
- She was born in a Hindu Bengali family.
- She did her first recording for a song at the age of 6.
- She got training in Hindustani classical music under Pandit Ajoy Chakraborty and Late Pandit Jagdish Prasad.
- She has also trained in Bharatanatyam, Hip-hop, and Salsa dance forms.
- At the age of 14, she received the Best Playback Singer award at the Anandalok Awards for the Bengali serial, Sri Ramkrishna.
- While she was in school and college, she participated in various singing competitions.
- She participated as a contestant in the popular singing TV reality show, ‘Indian Idol 2′ (2005) and stood at ninth position. The title was won by the late Indian singer, Sandeep Acharya.
- After 2005, she struggled to get work in Mumbai but didn’t get any work, so she left back to Kolkata (her home). She came back to Mumbai in 2008 when she got a chance to sing two very popular songs- “Zara Zara Touch Me” and “Khwaab Dekhe (Sexy Lady)” in the film “Race.”
- Some of her popular Bollywood songs are “Tu Mohabbat Hai” from Tere Naal Love Ho Gaya (2012), “Moh Moh Ke Dhaage” from Dum Laga Ke Haisha (2015), and “Ho Jaa Awara” from Pal Pal Dil Ke Paas (2019).
- She has lent her voice for various Bengali songs, including “Sonali Rodudure” from Dujone (2009), “O Yaara Ve” from Dui Prithibi (2010), “Give Me Freedom” from Bhorer Alo (2011), “He Naropishach” from Arundhati (2014), and “Bolo Na Radhika” from Shahjahan Regency (2019).
- She has also sung non-filmy songs like “Woh Pehli Bar” for Indian Idol Season 2 (2006), “Ye Mera India Anthem” (2015), “Googly Woogly Wooksh” for the Ponds’ cream TV commercial (2015), “Naamkarann Title Track” (2016), “Shy Mora Saiyaan” (2018), “Kare Naina” (2019), “Pani Pani Re” (2019), and “Swachh Bharat Anthem” (2019).
- She has judged a few singing TV reality shows, including ‘Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Bangla’ (2009-2011), ‘Sa Re Ga Ma Pa L’il Champs’ (2014), ‘Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Bangla’ (2014), ‘Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Sangeet er Sera Mancha’ (2016), ‘Rising Star India 2’ (2018), and ‘MTV Youth’ (2019).
- She has also appeared in the popular Bollywood film, “PK” (2014), in which she played the role of a Kashmiri Muslim girl.
- In 2020, she revealed that she had been married to her Swiss boyfriend, Maik Richter, three years back, she said,
During 2016, we were supposed to come to Spain for the IIFA. But before that, my girlfriends and I decided to do a backpacking trip somewhere nearby. So for that, we came to Switzerland. That’s when I met Maik who was my Airbnb host. We had a crush thing happening. Six months later, he proposed to me on Christmas eve, and I said yes to him. It was bitter cold weather. I actually didn’t know if I was shivering out of cold, or because he had proposed to me (laughs). The day Maik was coming to India to do the registration, it was a hilarious episode. We thought we would not get married only. Maik came to India without a visa. Since he had a German passport, some fool told him that he doesn’t need a visa. He was not allowed to enter the country. He was thrown out of India. And I was waiting there in the registration office.”
- She is an animal lover and owns a pet dog.
- In 2020, Monali, along with her husband Maik Richter, appeared in the music video, ‘Dil Ka Fitoor.’