Education: IIT Roorkee
Hometown: Etah, Uttar Pradesh
Age: 48 Years
Some Lesser Known Facts About Navniet Sekera
- Navniet Sekera was born into a middle-class farmer family.
- Navniet Sekera’s wife, Dr Puja Thakur Sekera is a Social Activist, Motivational Speaker, Philanthropist, and a Counsellor for Empowering Women against Harassment.
- Navniet Sekera studied in all-boys Hindi-medium schools till 12th grade.
- Upon attaining good scores in his 12th standard exams, Sekera decided to pursue BSc. He went to Hansraj College in Delhi seeking for an admission form, but just because Sekera lacked English speaking skills, he was humiliatingly turned out of the office.
- Navniet prepared for the IIT-JEE entrance exam and cleared it on his first attempt. The kid, who was once denied the admission form for a normal engineering college went on to enrol himself at IIT, the pioneer of the engineering in India.
- While Sekera was doing his post-graduation, there was an incident which made him quit his master’s course in-between. Once, Sekera and his father went to a police station to report a complaint about a piece of their land being illegally captured by a local criminal, but, instead of lodging an FIR, they were disgracefully ejected from the police station. Sekera couldn’t endure the embarrassment of his father; he embarked on the preparation for the UPSC exam and cleared it on his first attempt, to enter the Indian Police Service (IPS), in 1996.
- Sekera’s UPSC final results rank could have allowed him to enter the Indian Administrative Service, but, he decided on the Indian Police Service. He was given his home cadre, his first posting was as the Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) of Gorakhpur.
- In 2001, Software Engineer Navniet Sekera was rewarded with a cash prize of Rs. 5 lakh by the then CM of UP Rajnath Singh, for developing GPS-GIS based Automatic Vehicle Location System (AVLS) during his service as the SP of Technical Services.
- Navniet Sekera became the youngest police chief (SSP) of the state capital Lucknow, at the age of 32.
- Sekera is focused on the empowerment of women and the girl child. He was the person who developed and organised the concept of ‘Women Power Line 1090,’ which was started by the UP government in 2012.
- Sekera is a Keynote Speaker, Corporate Mentor, Growth Hacker, Public Servant, Woman Empowerment Practitioner, and a Policy Designing expert.
- Sekera is an active member of the Indian film writer’s Association.
- In his meritorious career, the supercop has shot down around 60 criminals in different police encounters.
- An MX player web series “Bhaukaal” has been released on the internet, inspired by the real-life incidents of Navniet Sekera during his posting as the SSP, Muzaffarnagar, in 2004. The story displays the battle of an IAS officer Naveen Sekhera (Navniet Sekera) against the mafia rule in Muzaffarnagar, and how he brings down two of the most prominent gangster associations, Shokeen khan gang & Dedha brothers. Watch the full web series for free, on the official site of MX Player. mxplayer.in
- Here’s an interesting video about Navniet Sekera’s biography:
References/Sources: [ + ]