Age: 72 Years
Wife: Kaisa Rio
|Political Party||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party|
|Political Journey||1989: Picked as a Congress candidate to the Nagaland Legislative Assembly from the Northern Angami-II constituency and appointed the minister of sports, school education, arts & culture, and higher education
1984-1987: Served as a chairman of Northern Area Angami Council
1993: Became a member of the All India Congress Committee
1993: Appointed as the Minister for Works & Housing
1998: Appointed as the Home Minister of Nagaland
2002: In September, resigned from the Nagaland Home Ministry
2002: In November, resigned from the Nagaland Legislative Assembly
2003: On 6 March, sworn as the Chief Minister of Nagaland
2008: On 3 January, dismissed from the post of Chief Minister; after President's imposed ruling in Nagaland. On 12 March, reelected to the assembly as a leader of the DAN, and appointed as the Chief Minister of Nagaland
2013: Re-elected as the Nagaland Chief Minister for a third term
2014: In September, appointed as a member of Consultative Committee, Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region
2014-2016: A member of the Standing Committee on Coal and Steel
2014-2018: A member of the Committee on Public Accounts
2015-2018: A member of the Standing Committee on Agriculture
2018: Became the Chief Minister of Nagaland after TR Zeliang.
2023: Took oath as the Chief Minister of Nagaland for the fifth term The Hindu
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet inches- 5’ 6”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 65 kg
in pounds- 143.3 lbs
|Hair Colour||Black (Semi Bald)|
|Date of Birth||11 November 1950|
|Age (as of 2022)||72 Years|
|Birthplace||Tuophema, Kohima (Nagaland)|
|School||Baptist English School, Kohima
Sainik School, Purulia, West Bengal
|College/University||St Joseph's College, Darjeeling
Arts College, Kohima
|Educational Qualification||Graduation (BA)|
|Address||Vill. Tuophema Basa, Kohima-797001, Nagaland|
|Hobbies||Gardening, Music, Reading, Travelling and playing tennis|
|Awards/Honours/Achievements||The Mother Teresa Millennium award 2007 (for exceptional leadership and contributions to the politics in Kolkata)|
|Controversies||Corruption allegations have been made against him for illegally siphoning government funds.|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Marriage Date||23 August 1975|
|Parents||Father- Late Shri Guolhoulie Rio
Mother- Smt. Kevilhou Rio
|Brother||Zhaleo Rio (Deputy Commissioner of Kohima)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs 30 crore|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Neiphiu Rio
- He has been appointed as the chief minister of Nagaland for three times (2003–08, 2008–13 and 2013–14).
- He belongs to the Angami Naga tribe.
- He joined politics at an early age.
- In 1974, he has worked as the President of Kohima United Democratic Front (UDF) Youth Wing.
- He has also designated the Vice President of Indian Red Cross Society Nagaland.
- He also worked as the chairman of Nagaland industrial development corporation, khadi & village industries board, and development authority of Nagaland.
- On 30 May 1995, he has survived a sudden attack by some armed persons at Dimapur. His driver was killed, whereas his bodyguards were injured in this attack.
- In 2002, he resigned from the post of Nagaland’s Home Minister due to the negligence of the negotiated settlement of the Naga issues by Chief Minister S. C. Jamir.
- In November 2002, with the help of Naga people’s front party, he formed the Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) and won the 2003 state elections.
- He is interested in the areas of environmental protection, and biodiversity.
- He has been the President of Nagaland Cricket Association and Olympic Association, Archery.
- He promotes culture, sports, creative fields like art, music and also supports youth empowerment.