|Politician, Former journalist
|Being selected as the AAP’s Chief Ministerial candidate from Khambhalia for the 2022 Gujarat Legislative Assembly elections
|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 9”
|Aam Aadmi Party
|• June 2021: Joined the AAP
• June 2022: Appointed as the National Joint General Secretary of the party
• 4 November 2022: Selected as the Chief Minister candidate from Khambhalia of AAP for the 2022 Gujarat Legislative Assembly elections
• 8 December 2022: Lost his seat by 19,000 votes to a BJP candidate in the Gujarat assembly election NDTV
|Date of Birth
|10 January 1982 (Sunday)
|Age (as of 2023)
|Gujarat Vidyapith, Ahmedabad
|Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication The Wire
|Follower of Kamai Mataji The Print
|OBC The Indian Express
|• Isudan attacked by BJP goons
In June 2022, some of Gadhvi's convoys were attacked by BJP members during the ‘Jan Samvad Yatra’ in Junagadh. After the attack, Arvind Kejriwal spoke to Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani and urged him to file an FIR and arrest the culprits to ensure the protection of AAP leaders and workers in Gujarat. In a Twitter post, he wrote,
If people like Isudan and Mahesh Bhai are being attacked openly in Gujarat then no one is safe in Gujarat." India Today
• Put behind jail for protesting against BJP and being drunk during the assembly meeting
In December 2021, Isudan was put in jail with other AAP leaders for eleven days because of his protest at BJP’s headquarters in Gandhinagar against the question paper leak in a recruitment examination. In 2022, Infocity police of Gandhinagar booked Isudan for attending an unlawful assembly in an inebriated condition. After the investigation, it was confirmed that he was drunk during the assembly. The Indian Express
• Police case for making claims against Prime Minister Narendra Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
On 29 April 2023, Ahmedabad police registered a case against Gadhvi after he claimed through a tweet that the Centre had spent Rs 830 crore of the taxpayers' money on 100 episodes of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' radio programme. Reportedly, the case was registered after it was found that Mr Gadhvi made the claim without any relevant data to support it. In his tweet, Mr Gadhvi claimed, "One episode of Mann Ki Baat costs ₹ 8.3 crore! Which means that the Centre has spent ₹ 830 crore on 100 episodes so far. This is too much. BJP workers should register their protest, because mostly they listen to this programme." While taking cognisance of the tweet, the Ahmedabad Cyber Crime Branch registered an FIR against Gadhvi under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and the Information Technology Act. NDTV
|Relationships & More
|Father- Kherajbhai Gadhvi (farmer)
|Movable assets (with wife): Rs 15.61 lakh
Immovable assets (with wife): Rs 95.25 lakh The Indian Express
|Net Worth (as of 2022)
|Rs. 60.41 Lakh The Indian Express
Some Lesser Known Facts About Isudan Gadhvi
- Isudan Gadhvi is an Indian politician and former journalist who is known for being selected as the Chief Ministerial candidate of the AAP from Khambhalia for the 2022 Gujarat Legislative Assembly election, which he lost to a BJP candidate by 19,000 votes. NDTV
- At the beginning of his career as a journalist, Gadhvi appeared in a Doordarshan show called ‘Yojana’. From 2007 to 2011, he worked as an on-field journalist in Porbandar at ETV Gujarati. In a show that he hosted on ETV Gujarati, he exposed an Rs. 150 crore scam of illegal deforestation in Dang and Kaparada talukas of Gujarat. Later, he worked in various locations in Gujarat including Vapi, Porbandar, Jamnagar, Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar as an on-field journalist.
- In 2015, he joined VTV Gujarati, becoming the youngest channel head in Gujarati media. Until 2021, he hosted the popular prime-time TV show ‘Mahamanthan’ on VTV Gujarati. In the programme, he used to debate on various social issues. The show became so famous that the duration was increased from one hour to one and a half hours.
- Gadhvi became popular by the names ‘people’s journalist’ or ‘khedut no patrakaar’ (journalist of the rural masses) for majorly discussing farmer’s issues on the show.
- On the weekends, he used to conduct a show to promote Hindu culture and discussed topics like ‘Lord Hanuman’s history’, ‘Karma ka Siddhant’ (principles of Karma), and ‘old-age homes.’
- Gadhvi made a lot of contributions to help people during the COVID-19 pandemic. He got an ambulance officer arrested because he did not allow a woman to enter the hospital because she did not use the government ambulance. Gadhvi exposed the number of the police officer in public. In the interview, he talked about this and said,
The officer got 10,000 calls on his mobile. He went to the high court for reprieve. It was after that incident that I started thinking that I had to do something beyond journalism.”
- In 2021, Arvind Kejriwal talked about Isudan joining AAP and said,
It is a huge sacrifice of a promising career to clean the mess that the ruling party, together with the Congress, had created in Gujarat. Gadhvi has left a plum career for AAP…You can bring a change from outside the system, but there is a limitation to this. So, Gadhvi decided to join the system and clean the mess.”
Talking about this, Isudan said,
I joined the media to serve people and the people of Gujarat liked me. I found that by remaining in the media industry, I can serve only a few people, so I left the industry and joined politics so that I can work for large number of people.”
- In 2021, he talked about the Jan Ashirwad campaign started by BJP and said that BJP was careless during the pandemic. In an interview, he said,
The BJP has been in power in Gujarat for the past two-and-a-half decades… lakhs of people in Gujarat died of Covid owing to lack of oxygen, medicines, hospital beds and policies such as no admission in hospitals without ambulance support. But the government had hidden the figures…. At the time when people were running from pillar to post for medicines and oxygen cylinders, none of these BJP leaders answered their phone calls… worse, they switched off their mobile phones or gave rude reply to people asking for help.” The Indian Express
- According to him, he smoked tobacco only once in college. Vibes of India In another interview, he said, he is a teetotaler. Vibes of India
- He announced that he would work as a politician for ten years if his party won and then retire.
- He refers to himself as ‘Nayak’ from an Anil Kapoor starrer Bollywood film.