|Being the executive director of the Wagh Bakri Tea Group
|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 7”
|2023: Most Enduring Brand Award at Family Business Award
|Date of Birth
|Date of Death
|22 October 2023
|Place of Death
|Zydus Hospital, Ahmedabad
|Age (at the time of death)
|Brain Haemorrhage NDTV
|Long Island University, USA
|Master of Business Administration Business Today
|Relationships & More
|Marital Status (at the time of death)
|Daughter- Parisha Desai
|Father- Rasesh Desai (managing director of the Wagh Bakri Tea Group)
|Hollywood: Independence Day (1996), The Jurassic Park series
Bollywood: Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (2011)
|Samsung Galaxy E5, HTC M8, iPad Air
|The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
|Zara, Marks & Spencer, Nautica, Selfridges
Some Lesser Known Facts About Parag Desai
- Parag Desai was an Indian businessman who is known for being the executive director of the Wagh Bakri Tea Group. On 22 October 2023, Parag died after suffering a brain haemorrhage while he was trying to escape street dogs that attacked him on 15 October 2023.
- Parag joined the business in 1995. When he joined, the company was worth Rs. 100 crore. As of 2023, the company has a turnover of Rs. 2,000 crore. The tea distribution of the company is over 50 million kg. The company works across 24 Indian states and exports to 60 countries.
- He was a member of the fourth generation of the Desai family who contributed to the family business.
- According to Parag, Wagh Bakri was the first company to sell packaged tea in India. After joining the company, he hired professionals for branding, marketing, and packaging. In an interview, he added that they faced difficulty because people were not ready to buy packaged and branded items. He only saw some success after the 1985 riots in Ahmedabad when people realized that the quality of packaged tea was equal to loose tea available in shops. In the interview, he further added,
We launched our packet in other parts of Gujarat, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh. In those days, expansion was an issue as sales tax differed from state to state.”
- Parag used to lead the company’s sales, marketing, and export departments. He was responsible for launching tea lounges and strengthening digital and social media presence.
- He adopted innovative marketing, branding and packaging strategies for which he was awarded by Ahmedabad Management Association.
- He also expanded the brand into products like iced tea and coffee.
- He was an expert tea taster and evaluator. He was part of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII). He used to taste 700 cups of tea every day.
- He sold the first container of tea in the US when he was on a family holiday in 1990. He observed that Indians living in the country bought tea for themselves but they had to buy 20 kg minimum. So, he realized that he could sell their 5 kg tea bag there. He met a Gujarati man who ran a grocery store and convinced him to buy their tea bag.
- He expanded his sales to the UK as well. He saw that there were a large number of Gujarati immigrants from Uganda who liked Indian tea. He met a man who ran many stores there and Parag sold his tea to him.
- In 2020, the company completed 100 years. The logo of the company is unique. It consists of a tiger (representing the British) and a goat (symbolising Indians) having tea from the same cup.
- Parag was attacked by street dogs on 15 October 2023 outside his residence while he was on a morning walk. When he tried to escape, he fell and suffered various injuries. A security guard informed the family about the incident, and he was taken to Shalby Hospital and kept under observation. After one day, he was shifted to Zydus Hospital for surgery. He was kept on a ventilator for a week and died on 22 October 2023 due to a brain haemorrhage. His last rites were conducted at the Thaltej crematorium.
- After his death, Shaktisinh Gohil, Rajya Sabha MP and Gujarat Congress chief expressed condolences taking to X and wrote,
Very sad news coming in. Parag Desai, Director and owner Wagh Bakri Tea passed away. He had a brain hemorrhage following a fall. May his soul rest in peace. My condolences to the entire Wagh Bakri family across India.”
- He had an interest in travel and wildlife, and he also participated in sustainability projects.
- Parag did charity for groups like the Blind People’s Association (BPA) and Jivdaya Charitable Trust, which runs an animal hospital in Ahmedabad.