|• Venture capitalist
• Fashion designer
|Being the daughter of Infosys co-founder, N. R. Narayana Murthy and wife of Rishi Sunak, the first person of color to become prime minister in British history
|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 4”
|Date of Birth
|Age (as of 2022)
|Bangalore (now Bengaluru), Karnataka
|Baldwin Girls High School, Bangalore
|• Claremont McKenna College, California
• Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising, California
• Stanford University Graduate School of Business, California
|• Bachelor of Arts in Economics & French
• Diploma in Apparel Manufacturing Technology
• Master of Business Administration Linkedin
|On 7 April 2022, many British neswpapers reported that Akshata Murty claimed a non-domiciled tax status in the UK. Acording to British law, this means that she does not have to pay taxes on dividend benefits received from overseas companies. Moreover, amid the Russia-Ukraine War, the opposition questioned Ms. Murthy’s income from Infosys that was still operating some of its functions in Russia; this was when her husband, Mr. Sunak, himself regularly urged British companies to exit Russia to “inflict maximum economic pain” on the Vladimir Putin administration. Later, it was reported that Infosys had decided to nwithdraw its services from Russia. The Hindu
|Relationships & More
|Rishi Sunak (a British politician of British Conservative Party)
|30 August 2009
|Daughter(s)- Krishna Sunak, Anoushka Sunak
|Father- N. R. Narayana Murthy (Co-Founder of Infosys)
Mother- Sudha Murthy (Co-Founder of Infosys Foundation)
|Brother- Rohan Murty (Founder of the Murty Classical Library of India)
|• A 12-acre Georgian Manor house in the Yorkshire village of Kirby Sigston worth around £1.5 million. According to sources, this property is owned by Akshata Murty.
• A penthouse apartment on Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica, California worth £7.5 million. This property is registered under Akshata’s name.
• A mews mansion in Kensington, West London worth £6.6 million. This property is owned by her husband, Rishi Sunak.
• A first-floor flat in Old Brompton Road, Kensington worth $300,000. Rishi Sunak owns this property. Daily Express Housing
|Net Worth (approx.)
|• £200 million (individual net worth) (as of 2022)
• £730 million (collective net worth along with his wife) (as of 2022) Forbes The Times
Some Lesser Known Facts About Akshata Murty
- Akshata Murty is the daughter of Infosys co-founder N. R. Narayana Murthy. Her husband, Rishi Sunak, is the first person of colour to become prime minister in British history. The New York Times
- She is a Britain-based Indian businesswoman and fashion designer. She has been seen at several high-profile events, often wearing designer clothing and accessories.
- She was brought up by her grandparents in Hubli; as her parents were struggling with their professional life.
- She completed her schooling in India and pursued her further education in California.
- After completing her studies, Akshata worked for a short period at Infosys before leaving to pursue her own entrepreneurial ventures. She co-founded a company called Sandstone, which is a home decor and furnishings business. Akshata is also involved in philanthropy and serves on the board of trustees for the Murthy Classical Library of India.
- In an interview, her husband, Rishi Sunak, talked about him being very organised and Akshata being very spontaneous and unorganised. He said,
- In 2007, she started working as a marketing director at Tendris, a Dutch cleantech Incubator Fund.
- Akshata and Rishi Sunak met each other when they were doing their MBA in California. They became good friends and dated for a few years.
- She worked at Unilever and Deloitte for a while, before doing MBA.
- In 2007, she began working as a marketing director at Tendris, a Dutch cleantech Incubator Fund.
- In 2009, they tied the knot at Leela Palace Hotel, Old Airport Road, Bangalore. It was a very simple wedding which was attended by a few renowned people including Azim Premji, Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Anil Kumble, Nandan M Nilekani, Captain G.R. Gopinath, Prakash Padukone, Syed Kirmani, and Girish Karnad.
- In 2009, Akshata started her own clothing line named ‘Akshata Designs’ in California. On starting her own business, she said in an interview,
I understand that there may be some curiosity around what I’m doing given my parents’ achievements, but I hope that one day this business is able to stand on its own feet and I’m able to speak on its merit rather than anything else. This is my passion and I couldn’t imagine being engaged in anything else but the business of this venture.” The Times of India
- In 2013, she started working as the Director of Catamaran Ventures in the UK.
- Since 2017, she has been working as a member of the Board of Claremont McKenna College and the San Francisco Exploratorium.
- She is a fashion designer and reportedly, she represents her creativity by fusing Indian and western cultures together and designing clothes by working with craftsmen living in remote villages in India.
- Since she has been living outside of India for a long time, she still has Indian citizenship. In an interview, when she was asked if she has any further plans to change her citizenship, her spokesperson said,
- Akshata is one of the individual shareholders of Infosys owning 0.81 per cent of the shares. Money Control
- In 2022, Akshata Murty and Rishi Sunak were ranked 222 on Sunday Times Rich List.
- Her father wrote a heartwarming letter to her, which was published in Sudha Menon’s ‘Legacy: Letters from eminent parents to their daughters.’ A few lines of the letter are,
Becoming a father transformed me in ways that I could never have thought possible. I could never go back to being the person I used to be before. Your arrival in my life brought unimaginable joy and a larger responsibility. I was no more just a husband, a son, or a promising employee of a fast-growing company. I was a father, who had to measure up to the expectations his daughter would have of him at every stage of her life.”