Some Lesser Known Facts About Philippe Coutinho
- Does Philippe Coutinho smoke?: No
- He was the third son in the family and grew up with his two elder brothers who were his footballing inspirations growing up.
- Philippe grew up in Rocha, Rio de Janerio. His home was minutes away from the iconic “Maracana Stadium.”
- In his childhood, he was too shy to join the other children playing football. He used to watch his elder brothers playing football on a concrete pitch near his house.
- At the age of six, Philippe started playing football. It was not long when people started noticing his skills and talent. In an interview, he revealed that it was his friend’s grandmother who urged his father to enrol him in the local football academy.
- He started taking part in the local tournaments. He then fell in love with Futsal (A variant of a game of football. It is played on small pitches with lesser number of players). This improved his game a lot.
- Coutinho’s talent was spotted by the scouts. Vasco da Gama’s coaches approached his father and encouraged him to take Philippe to the club’s trials. When he joined the academy, he was very upset and didn’t want to play. He felt very out of place; as he was too shy to interact with his teammates. After a short while and much motivation, he started to get comfortable and lose his shyness.
- At the age of 13, he first thought of pursuing football professionally. He was then included in Brazil’s U-14 squad.
- At the age of 16, Italian giants Inter Milan bought Coutinho from Vasco for $7.7 Million. He was loaned to Vasco for two years and was to join Inter Milan when he would turn 18.
- On August 27, 2010, Philippe played his first game for Inter Milan. On May 8, 2011, he scored his first goal for the club from a free kick against Fiorentina.
- In the summer of 2012, he married his longtime girlfriend Aine.
- On January 30, 2013, Coutinho joined Liverpool. He made his debut with the club against West Bromwich Albion on February 11, the same year.
- He scored his first International goal for Brazil against Mexico on June 7, 2015.
- Philippe was voted as the “Man of the Match” for three matches in a row during the 2016–2017 season.
- On January 6, 2018, he joined the La Liga club Barcelona. He made his debut for the club on January 25, 2018, against Espanyol in the “Copa del Rey” quarter-finals.
- Coutinho was the best man at the wedding of his Brazilian teammate Roberto Firmino.
- He was included in Brazil’s squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup. He also scored the first two goals for the team in the tournament.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)