|Real Name||Pinarayi Vijayan|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 75 kg
in pounds- 165 lbs
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Political Party||Communist Party of India (Marxist)
|Political Journey||1964: Joined the Communist Party
1996-1998: Served as the Minister of Electricity and Co-operatives in the Kerala Government
1998-2015: Served as the secretary of Kerala State Committee of Communist Party of India (Marxist)
2016: Sworn-in as the 12th Chief Minister of Kerala after winning with a margin of 36,905 votes from Dharmadom constituency
|Biggest Rival||V S Achuthanandan (Communist Party of India (Marxist))|
|Date of Birth||21 March 1944|
|Age (as in 2018)||74 Years|
|Birthplace||Pinarayi, Madras Presidency, British India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Gemini|
|Hometown||Pinarayi, Madras Presidency, British India|
|College/University||Government Brennen College, Thalassery|
|Educational Qualification||Not Known|
|Hobbies||Reading, Watching Movies|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Under Cheif Ministership of Pinarayi Vijayan Kerala won India Today's Best Big State Award in governance category in 2017.
• Pinarayi Vijayan and Health Minister K. K. Shailaja were honoured by the Institute of Human Virology in Baltimore for the Kerala Government’s efforts in curbing the Nipah Virus outbreak.
|Controversies||• Vijayan was named as the 9th accused in the SNC-Lavalin Kerala hydroelectric scandal (reportedly, Vijayan had made a deal with Lavalin, a Canadian firm for reparing three generators at a total cost of ₹375 crores) in a report filed by the CBI on 21 January 2009. To which, his party, CPI(M) claimed as 'politically motivated.' The Governor of Kerala permitted the CBI to prosecute Vijayan, based on prima facie evidence despite the recommendations of the cabinet of Kerala to not to prosecute Vijayan in the case. Though, on 5 November 2013, the CBI special court dismissed Pinarayi Vijayan from the list of offenders in the SNC-Lavalin Case.
• He was held at the Chennai Airport by the airport security on 16 February 2007 for finding 5 bullets in Vijayan's baggage. After he provided a faxed copy of his license to airport security, he was allowed to go.
• Vijayan was once again caught amidst a controversy when he called 'Paul Chitilapally' (the bishop of Thamarassery in Kerala) "a wretched creature."
• In 2018, Flood hit state Kerala was already fighting the natural atrocities when its CM, Pinarayi Vijayan, claimed that an aid of ₹700 Crore was offered by UAE to India. The centre declined any such offer by the UAE and Kerala unit of the Bharatiya Janata Party asked Vijayan to reveal its sources. Vijayan revealed that he got to know about the funding from a Middle East businessman MA Yusuf Ali. He claimed that the aid was finalized between the Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the ruler of the Emirates.
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Kamala Vijayan (Retired Teacher)
|Children||Son- Vivek Kiran Vijayan (Works in HSBC bank, in Abu Dhabi)
Daughter- Veena Vijayan (Entrepreneur)
|Parents||Father- Mundayil Koran
|Favourite Food||Fish & Rice|
|Assets/Properties||Bonds, Debentures, Shares: ₹13 Lakhs
Jewellery: ₹2 Lakhs
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹1 Crore|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Pinarayi Vijayan
- He comes from a financially weak family. He was born in Pinarayi in the Kannur district.
- After completing his schooling, he worked as a handloom weaver for a year to financially aid his family.
- He was appointed as the Kannur district secretary of the Kerala Students Federation (KSF) at the age of 24, which went on to become the Students Federation of India (SFI). He, later on, became the President of the State committee.
- He was also appointed as the president of the Kerala state co-operative bank.
- During the National emergency of 1975, he was detained by the police, and as per the reports, he was also tortured in the jail. He was actually arrested because the communists were regulating the political activities from different hide-outs in Kerala. He once revealed in an interview that he was beaten up by six policemen mercilessly non-stop till he lost his consciousness and eventually fainted.
- The state achieved a remarkable development and improvement in the power generation capacity during his tenure as Electricity Minister by the augmentation of new projects and their timely execution.
- In 2002, he was elected to the Politburo of the CPI(M).
- On 26 May 2007, he, along with V. S. Achuthanandan, were suspended by the CPI(M) for making inappropriate comments against each other in the media. Vijayan was later reinstated in the party.
- In 2016, he became the leader of the Left Democratic Front (LDF), which is a coalition of two major political parties of Kerala, i.e. Communist Party of India (Marxist) (CPI(M)) and Communist Party of India (CPI). He became the 12th Chief Minister of Kerala on 25 May 2016.
- As a CM, he has introduced many schemes like Ardram Mission, Haritha Keralam Mission, Project LIFE, and Comprehensive Education Reforms.
- To determine the security of children and women in public places, he introduced India’s first ever, an all-woman police squad called the Pink Patrol.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)