|Famous for||Being the first scheduled caste Chief Minister of Punjab|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet inches- 5’ 7”
|Political Party||Indian National Congress
|Political Journey||• 20 September 2021: Chief Minister of Punjab
• 16 March 2017: Cabinet Minister, Government of Punjab
• 11 December 2015 – 11 November 2016: Leader of opposition in Punjab assembly
• 2007: Member of the Legislative Assembly, Punjab
• He lost the 2022 Punjab assembly election from both the seats that he contested from - Chamkaur Sahib and Bhadaur. In Bhadaur, he lost to the Aam Aadmi Party's Labh Singh Ugoke, while in Chamkaur Sahib, he lost to the Aam Aadmi Party's Charanjit Singh. NDTV
|Date of Birth||1 March 1963 (Friday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||58 Years|
|Birthplace||Village Makrona Kalan, Chamkaur Sahib, Punjab|
|Hometown||Chamkaur Sahib, Punjab|
|School||Khalsa Senior Secondary School, Kharar|
|College/University||• Sri Guru Gobind Singh College, Chandigarh
• Panjab University, Chandigarh
• Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar, Punjab
|Educational Qualification(s)||• School education from Khalsa Senior Secondary School, Kharar The Indian Express
• Post-graduation in political science from Panjab University, Chandigarh The Indian Express
• BA and LLB from Panjab University, Chandigarh
• MBA from Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar, Punjab My Neta
• PhD in Political Science from Panjab University, Chandigarh The Indian Express
|Caste||Ramdasia community (Scheduled Caste) The Indian Express|
|Address||House No 1661, Gurdwara Road, Kharar, District Mohali, Punjab My Neta|
|Controversies||• After he was inducted into the cabinet of Punjab government in 2017, Channi constructed an illegal road from a park outside his house on the advice of his astrologer, who advised Channi to do so to improve his political career. Soon, the road was demolished by the local authorities. During the same time, Channi also took a ride of an elephant in his home lawns on the advice of his astrologer. The Statesman
• In February 2018, Channi attracted controversy when one of his videos went viral on social media in which he was seen flipping a coin to toss between two lecturer candidates for one post. The opposition parties of Punjab like BJP and Shiromani Akali Dal accused him of the same. Channi, later, clarified that both the candidates were equally eligible for the post, and he was asked to do the same by the candidates themselves. NDTV
• In March 2018, Channi was accused by Sukhpal Khaira of the Aam Aadmi Party of an illegal sand mining case. Later, Channi stated and clarified that the images shown by Khaira were from a public function. He also added that his family was also not involved in any illegal sand mining. The Times of India
• In 2018, Channi was accused of recommending an IAS officer's transfer. The reason behind the accusation was that Channi did not like the officer. Hindustan Times
• In 2018, Charanjit Singh Channi was accused of sending indecent messages to an IAS officer named Kavita Singh and the case was unfolded again under the #MeToo Movement in May 2021 by Punjab Women Commission. Deccan Herald
|Relationships & More|
|Wife||Dr. Kamaljit Kaur (Doctor)
• Navjit Singh (a passed out student from PEC University, and a Law student)
• Rhythmjit Singh
|Parents||Father- S. Harsa Singh
Mother- Late Ajmer Kaur
• Manmohan Singh (retired chief engineer)
• Dr Manohar Singh (a medical specialist in the Punjab government)
• Sukhwant Singh (a budding leader)
Sisters- The name of one of his sisters is Surinder Kaur.
• Cash: Rs 4,50,000
• Deposits in Banks: Rs 42,64,000
• NSS, Postal Savings: Rs 5,00,000
• Motor Vehicles: Rs 37,00,000
• Jewellery: Rs 42,00,000
Gross Total Value: Rs 1,31,14,000 My Neta
• Agricultural Land: Rs 9,20,00,000
• Commercial Buildings: Rs 2,50,00,000
• Residential Buildings: Rs 1,50,00,000
Total Immovable Assets: Rs 13,20,00,000 My Neta
• Loans from Banks: Rs 10,84,000
Total Liabilities: Rs 10,84,000 My Neta
|Net Worth as in 2017 (approx.)||Rs. 14.40 Crores My Neta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Charanjit Singh Channi
- Charanjit Singh Channi is an Indian politician. He became the 16th Chief Minister of Punjab, India on 20 September 2021. He is a member of the Indian National Congress.
- He took the oath as the first Dalit Sikh Chief Minister of Punjab, India on 20 September 2021 at the Raj Bhavan in Chandigarh.
- To take the oath at Panjab Bhavan on 20 September 2020, Channi came as a pillion rider on a motorcycle, which was driven by the former PPCC (Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee) chief Sunil Jakhar. The Indian Express
- Charanjit Singh Channi’s father belonged to a very poor family of Punjab, who went to Malaysia when he was young. He worked hard there and returned back to India after becoming a wealthy person. In India, he started a tent house business in which Charanjit Singh Channi, in childhood, used to help his father as a tent boy. Later, his father contested the local elections of his native village and served as a Sarpanch and a Member of Block Samiti.
- Channi obtained his primary school education at a local government school in his village.
- Charanjit Singh Channi is excelled at bhangra and handball. He represented Panjab University three times in handball. The Indian Express He won a gold medal in the Inter-University Sports Meet during his studies at Panjab University and was a national-level handball player. During his academics, Channi actively participated in NCC, NSS, debate competitions, and other cultural activities.
- Charanjit Singh Channi was elected as the leader of the student union when he was studying in the tenth standard in Khalsa Senior Secondary School, Kharar. He won the student elections in school by 472 votes out of 1000.
- He contested and won the elections held for the general secretary of the students’ union at Sri Guru Gobind Singh College, Chandigarh, when he was pursuing his graduation.
- Charanjit Singh Channi is known for holding multiple degrees including a master’s degree in political science and an MBA degree. In a conversation with a media house, he narrated his love for studies. The Indian Express He said,
I study for the love of education, not qualification.”
- According to Charanjit Singh Channi, he was inspired to excel in studies by his elder brother Manmohan Singh who is known for his higher academics. In an interview with a media house, Channi revealed that his elder brother earned these degrees while he was working in a government department.
- Charanjit Singh Channi served as a member of PPCC (Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee) and General Secretary of Punjab Youth Congress during his college days.
- In 2002, Channi began his political career when he was elected as the opposition leader in the 14th Punjab Vidhan Sabha. He served as the President of Municipal Council, Kharar for two years, and for three years, he took the charge as the Municipal Councillor of Kharar. Later, he served as a Member of the Committee on Public Undertakings, Committee on Subordinate Legislation, Committee on Public Accounts and Privileges Committee of Punjab Vidhan Sabha.
- In 2007, Charanjit Singh Channi was elected as a Member of the Punjab Legislative Assembly. In 2012 and 2017, he was re-elected as a Member of the Punjab Legislative Assembly from the Chamkaur Sahib constituency.
- In 2007, Channi contested against a Congress candidate for Chamkaur Sahib constituency. In these elections, Channi won the seat independently. After winning, he became an associate member of the Shiromani Akali Dal in the Assembly. It was Captain Amarinder Singh who helped Charanjit Singh Channi to return back to the Indian National Congress in December 2010.
- In 2015 and 2016, Charanjit Singh Channi served as the leader of opposition in the Punjab Legislative Assembly.
- After Channi’s return to the Indian National Congress in 2010, Channi tried to make good relations with Rahul Gandhi with the help of the senior Congress leader CP Joshi.
- On 16 March 2017, Charanjit Singh Channi was elected as the Minister of Technical Education & Industrial Traning and Employment Generation and Training, Tourism and Culture Affairs in the Cabinet of the Government of Punjab.
- In September 2021, he succeeded Captain Amrinder Singh as Chief Minister of Punjab. Captain Amarinder Singh resigned from the post of Chief Minister on 18 September 2021. Sukhjinder Randhawa and OP Soni were appointed as the Deputy Chief Ministers of Punjab.
- Senior Congress leader Harish Rawat announced on 19 September 2021 on his Twitter account about the selection of Charanjit Singh Channi as the 16th Chief Minister of Punjab. He tweeted,
It gives me immense pleasure to announce that Sh. Charanjit Singh Channi has been unanimously elected as the Leader of the Congress Legislature Party of Punjab.”
On being elected as the Chief Minister of Punjab, Charanjit Singh Channi Tweeted,
Heartfelt gratitude and thanks to the top leadership for appointing me Chief Minister of Punjab…I will always work for the welfare of the people and to give new energy and momentum to the sustainable development journey of the state.”
- According to Charanjit Singh Channi, he loves travelling, and when it comes to his favourite travel destinations, then these are South Korea, Dubai, Singapore, and England.
- Charanjit Channi has a strong faith in astrology. His friends often state that he does ‘weird’ things to keep shining in politics. In 2017, when he was elected as a cabinet minister of Punjab, he did an illegal construction outside his house just to follow his astrologer’s advice. He was once seen riding an elephant at his home, and this act went viral on social media that left many people amused. NDTV
- Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati congratulated Charanjit Singh Channi on 20 September 2021 and penned for him a note that stated,
I congratulate Charanjit Singh Channi on becoming Punjab CM. It would have been better if he had been appointed as CM earlier. Channi’s appointment as CM a few months ahead of Punjab assembly elections appears to be a poll gimmick. I have also come to know through media that the next Punjab assembly elections will be fought under the leadership of a non-dalit. This means that Congress still does not fully trust the dalits. Congress is also scared of the SAD-BSP alliance in Punjab.” The Times of India
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted a congratulation note to Charanjit Singh Channi on 20 September 2021.
- Rahul Gandhi also tweeted a congratulation note to Charanjit Singh Channi when he was elected as the 16th Chief Minister of Punjab.
- Navjot Singh Sidhu also congratulated Charanjit Singh for being chosen as the first Dalit Chief Minister of Punjab.
- Barely a few days after becoming the Chief Minister, Channi attended an event in Kapurthala, Punjab, where he did the Bhangra. Soon, a video of his dance went viral on the internet in which the newly-elected CM was seen exhibiting his dance moves on stage with folk dancers.
- On 11 March 2022, Channi submitted his resignation to the Punjab governor, Banwarilal Purohit, after Congress’ defeat in the Assembly elections in March 2022. In the elections, he lost from both Chamkaur Sahib and Bhadaur contituencies.