Preyen Dewani Age, Wife, Children, Family, Biography & More
Marital Status: Married
Father: Prakash Dewani
Age: 43 Years
|Known For||Being the brother of Shrien Dewani who was accused in his wife's (Anni Dewani) murder when they were on their honeymoon in South Africa in 2010.|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Date of Birth||April 1978|
|Age (as of 2021)||43 Years|
|School||Bristol Grammar School, England|
|Educational Qualification(s)||• School education at Bristol Grammar School, England
• Law graduation at Oxford University ENCA
|Relationships & More|
|Children||He has two daughters.|
|Parents||Father- Prakash Dewani (Founder and owner of PSP Healthcare in Bristol, England)
Mother- Snila Dewani
|Siblings||Brother- Shrien Dewani
Sister- Preyer Dewani
Some Lesser Known Facts About Preyen Dewani
- Preyen Dewani is an Indian British lawyer. Preyen is the brother of Shrien Dewani who was accused in his wife’s (Anni Dewani’s) murder case in 2010. Anni Dewani was Murdered by two gunmen when the car in which Anni and her husband Shrien Dewani were travelling was carjacked on 13 November 2010 in South Africa.
- In May 2010, all the arrangements of Shrien’s engagement at Paris were done by Preyen Dewani. According to Preyen Dewani, he set the surprise arrangements for the couple.
- After the kidnapping of Anni Dewani in Capetown on 13 November 2010, Preyen was the first person who was called by Shrien Dewani. Shrien narrated all the incidents to Preyen. Since then, Preyen was constantly in touch with the Capetown police for Anni’s kidnapping and murder case updates.
- After Anni’s death, her body was handed over to her family members including Shrien Dewani by the Capetown police on 17 November 2010. Her body was taken from South Africa to Bristol in England for the last rites. The arrangements of last rites and spreadsheet for Anni’s body was organised by Preyen Dewani.
- Preyen Dewani became the spokesperson for his brother and family members during the court trials in the Anni murder case. These trials were started after the Capetown police named Shrien Dewani as an accused in the Anni murder case in 2010.
- Soon after Shrien’s name got involved in the kidnapping and murder of Anni Dewani, Preyen Dewani relentlessly backed and helped Shrien Dewani to clear Shrien from all the accusations. Preyen as a lawyer played the role of a detective in this case and filed in the court that he was in the legal team of Shrien Dewani. Preyen was seen recreating the crime scene of the Anni Dewani murder case along with the lawyers’ team of Shrien Dewani.
- After Shrien’s name was involved by the Capetown police in the Anni kidnapping and murder case, Preyen fixed a meeting between both the Dewani and Hindocha families at Dewanis’ central London flat to unite them and settle down the misunderstandings. This meeting was arranged by Preyen after two days of Anni’s funeral. Sneha Mashru, the cousin of Anni Dewani, was also present in this meeting hide a tape recorder in her jacket, and she secretly recorded the conversation of Preyen Dewani with all the family members. It was later discovered from these talks that Preyen talked like an interrogator, diplomat, and alarmist to Anni’s parents.
- In this tape, Preyen pointed irresponsibly towards the people of South Africa. It was clear in the conversation that he tried to put the blame on the South African people while protecting his brother Shrien Dewani. Daily Mail He commented,
South Africa is not normal. These are black people. We are not dealing with anything normal here. We are dealing with South Africa. This is not Sweden or the UK where you have a robust police and court system. These are black people.”
- During the Anni murder case court trials, Preyen stated that there was no reason for Shrien to kill Anni as there was no life insurance policy involved and the wedding of Anni and Shrien was a heavy expenditure wedding, and there was no benefit involved in the killing. He said,
Why would you do such a big wedding, with everything that happened, why would, why would you, there is no life policy. You tell me – what is the benefit for Shrien there?”
- The media news put allegations on Dewani’s family that a huge amount of insurance policy was involved in the death of Anni Dewani. Preyen Dewani offered a big amount to the Hindocha family during the court trials while denying all the claims of the insurance policy. Preyen also cleared the fact that Dewani’s were doing great in their business and they were not facing any financial crises. He stated,
We are not in any financial difficulty whatsoever. .. if you want 5 million in cash, I can write you a cheque now. There is no problem with our company – the way we set and structure our company is very clever – because it is there to make sure we…”
- During the Anni Dewani murder case trials, Preyen Dewani put the blame for the murder on the South African police and government. Preyen stated that in order to protect the tourism revenue and reputation of South Africa, the government and police of South Africa tried to escape the murder charges from the gunmen of South Africa. He further added that due to political pressures, the police tried to accuse and forcefully linked Shrien Dewani with the Anni Dewani murder case. IOL
- Reportedly, Preyen Dewani took the help of renowned PR agencies to get rid of the murder accusations on Shrien Dewani.