|Real Name||Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi|
|Party||Indian National Congress (INC)
|Political Journey||1970 to 1971: Served as President of Indian Youth Congress in West Bengal.
1971: Elected a Member of Lok Sabha from the South Calcutta Constituency.
1984: Again became a Lok Sabha Member from the Howrah Constituency.
1989: Lost the Lok Sabha Election from Howrah.
1991: Again lost the Lok Sabha Election from Howrah.
1996: Won the Lok Sabha Election from Howrah.
1999: Won the Lok Sabha Election from the Raiganj Constituency.
2004: Again won the Lok Sabha Election from Raiganj.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in feet inches- 5’ 4”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 65 kg
in pounds- 143 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||13 November 1945|
|Birth Place||Chirirbander, Bengal Presidency, British India
(now in Bangladesh)
|Date of Death||20th November 2017|
|Place of Death||New Delhi, India|
|Age (at the time of death)||72 Years|
|Death Cause||Died after 9 years he suffered a stroke in 2008 which left him paralysed|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Scorpio|
|Educational Qualification||M.A. from Calcutta University in 1967
LL.B. from Calcutta University in 1971
|Family||Father- Jatindra Nath Das Munsi
Mother- Name Not Known
Brother- Not Known
Sister- Not Known
|Address||6A Rani Bhabani Road, Kolkata-700026|
|Hobbies||Reading, Writing, Listening to Classical Indian Music|
|Controversies||• During the 1st term of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, when Munsi was the cabinet minister in Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs and Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, he took several controversial decisions, including several bans of Western television networks, including a 3-month ban on the Fashion TV and Sony-owned television network- AXN; on the pretext of "obscene."
• His decision requiring Indian sports broadcaster, Nimbus Communications to share broadcast rights for Indian cricket matches with the state television network, Doordarshan, was also controversial.
|Favourite Politician(s)||Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi, Manmohan Singh|
|Favourite Leader||Mahatma Gandhi|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife/Spouse||Deepa Dasmunsi (a social worker and politician)
|Marriage Date||15 April Year 1994|
|Children||Son- Priyadeep Dasmunshi (lives in London)
|Net Worth (approx.)||75 Lacs INR (as in 2004)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi
- Did Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi smoke?: Not Known
- Did Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Soon after his birth, his family moved to Calcutta (now Kolkata) from Chirirbander (now in Bangladesh).
- He was considered one of the prominent Congress leaders and was a member of Parliament from 1999 to 2009.
- For almost 20 years, Dasmunsi also served as the President of the All India Football Federation.
- He was the 1st Indian to serve as a Match Commissioner in a FIFA World Cup.
- On 12 October 2008, he suffered a massive stroke and paralysis, leaving him unable to speak or recognise anyone.
- Dasmunsi was admitted to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in New Delhi and was later shifted to Delhi’s Apollo Hospital.
- He was diagnosed with a complete failure of the left ventricular system and remained on life support.
- In November 2009, he underwent stem cell therapy Düsseldorf, Germany.
- Since his illness, Dasmunsi’s wife, Deepa has taken over his political mantle, and in 2009, she was elected to the Lok Sabha from Raiganj Constituency.
- On 10 October 2011, Delhi’s Indraprastha Apollo Hospital advised Dasmunsi’s family to take him home and care for him there.
- On 20 November 2017, Dasmunsi died after 8 years in the coma.