Ram Chandra Poudel Age, Caste, Wife, Children, Family, Biography & More
Age: 78 Years
Wife: Savita Poudel
|Nickname||Ram Chandra Dai|
|Famous for||President of Nepal|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 65 kg
in pounds- 143 lbs
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Political Party||Nepali Congress|
|Political Journey||• In 1977, he was elected as a member of the Nepali Congress Tanahun District Committee.
• In 1979, he was elected as vice president of the Nepali Congress Tanahun District Committee.
• In 1980, he was elected as he was elected as the president of the Tanahun District Multy Party Campaigning committee.
• In 1983, he was selected as the coordinator of the Nepali Congress's Central Publicity Committee
• In 1987, he became the president of its central-level Publicity Bureau.
• In 1991, he became a Member of Parliament from Tanahun Constituency No. 1.
• On 29 May 1991, he became the the Minister for Local Development and Agriculture and served till 1994.
• In 1994, he became a Member of Parliament from Tanahun Constituency No. 2.
• On 18 December 1994, he became the speaker of the lower house (Pratinidhi Sabha) of the House of Representatives and served till 23 March 1999.
• In 1999, he became a Member of Parliament from Tanahun Constituency No. 2.
• In 1999, he became the Deputy Prime Minister along with portfolio of Home and Communications and served till 2002.
• In 2006, he became the general secretary of the Nepali Congress's Central Committee.
• In 2006, he became the coordinator of the Peace Secretariat.
• In 2007, he became the Minister for Peace and Reconstruction and served till 2008.
• In 2008, he became the vice president of the Nepali Congress's Central Committee.
• In 2009, he became a Member of Parliament from Tanahun Constituency No. 2.
• On 20 June 2009, he became the Congress parliamentary party leader.
• In 2009, he became the vice president of the Nepali Congress.
• In 2013, he became a Member of Parliament from Tanahun Constituency No. 2.
• In November 2022, he became a Member of Parliament of lower house from Tanahun Constituency No. 2.
• On 9 March 2023, he became the third President of Nepal.
|Awards||• Mahendra Bikram Shah Prize in 1987 for an article titled Human Rights Condition in Nepal
• Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun from Japan in 2020 for his contributions to enhancing Nepal-Japan ties
|Date of Birth||14 October 1944 (Saturday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||78 Years|
|Birthplace||Satiswara village in Bahunpokhari, Tanahun district of Nepal|
|College/University||Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu|
|Educational Qualification||He holds Sastri (Bachelor's degree) in Sanksrit literature (1967) and a master's degree in arts in Nepali language (1970) from Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu.|
|Controversies||• Causing UML Split in 1998
Former PM of Nepal and President of Communist Party of Nepal (Unified Marxist–Leninist) (CPN - UML) K P Sharma Oli said in a function that Ram Chandra Poudel caused the split in UML in 1998 by instigating UML's RK Mainali, CP Mainali, and Bam Dev Gautam, who broke away with many other UML leaders to establish Communist Party of Nepal–Marxist Leninist (CPN-ML).
• Supporting Sher Bahadur Deuba in the 2021
A few leaders of Nepali Congress accused Poudel of taking back support from a rebel candidate and supporting former PM of India Sher Bahadur Deuba instead after he came to know that he cannot became the President of Congress and Deuba assured Poudel of supporting him during the Presidental elections.
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year: 1960|
Daughters- Sharmila, Sangya, Anugya, and Awagya
|Parents||Father- Durga Prasad Poudel
Mother- Rishi Maya Poudel
|Siblings||He has four younger sisters.|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ram Chandra Poudel
- Ram Chandra Poudel is a Nepali politician who has served as President of the Nepali Congress, speaker of the lower house (Pratinidhi Sabha) of Nepal parliament, Deputy Prime Minister of Nepal, and third President of Nepal. He actively took part in all Nepali political movements since the 1960s and is one of the most reputed politicians in Nepal.
- He entered politics at the age of sixteen to oppose the imprisonment of then Nepali PM B. P. Koirala.
- He was very active in student politics and started Free Student Movement in 1962. He became the Saraswati College Student Union’s President in 1966 and became the founder-president of the Gandaki Student committee in the same year. He became the Democratic Socialist Youth League’s General Secretary in 1967. He founded Nepal Student Union in 1970.
- He worked very closely with the former Nepali PM Girija Prasad Koirala after Koirala returned from India to Nepal.
- He played a very determining role as the mediator to establish peace in Nepal in the mid-2000s.
- In 2010, he contested the parliamentary elections to become the Prime Minister of Nepal; however, he lost in all 17 rounds of voting. Two other candidates were Pushpa Kamal Dahal from the UCPN-Maoist and Jhala Nath Khanal from the UML. Khanal became the Prime Minister after securing a majority in the 17th round of voting.
- In 2017, He lost in the elections to the communist alliance’s Krishna Kumar Shrestha from Tanahun Constituency No. 1.
- He has written many books, articles, and editorials related to society and politics in Nepal. He has won many awards for his writings. Some of his books are Journey of Faith in 1996 and Socialism – In New Context in 2012.
- He defeated Subash Chandra Nembang to become the third President of Nepal and got 214 votes out of 332 Parliamentary votes and 352 votes out of 550 provincial votes from seven provinces in Nepal. He succeeded Bidya Devi Bhandari.
Nepali presidential election on Thursday (3/9) came with an expected result. Ram Chandra Poudel, a former parliament speaker and senior leader of the opposition Nepali Congress Party, was declared the winner after five hours of voting.#SEAToday #SEATodayNews #Nepal #Election pic.twitter.com/79IyY23dhv
— SEA Today News (@seatodaynews) March 10, 2023
- He has also been jailed for more than a combined period of 15 years during his life.