Some Lesser Known Facts About Sonia Gandhi
- Does Sonia Gandhi smoke?: Not Known
- Does Sonia Gandhi drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Her father, Stefano Maino, fought alongside Hitler’s Army against the Soviet Military on the eastern front in World War II.
- Most of her adolescence was spent in Orbassano, a town near Turin in Italy and her mother and 2 sisters still live around Orbassano.
- Her school was famous for organizing various functions and she took part in most of them.
- In her childhood, she was very fond of Football and used to play Football with the children of her neighborhood.
- In 1965, she went to the United Kingdom at the age of 18.
- At the age of 18, she met Rajiv Gandhi first at the Varsity Restaurant in Cambridge in 1965. Rajiv Gandhi was pursuing his Mechanical Engineering at the Trinity College at that time.
- At first, her father was very reluctant to her marriage with Rajiv as he was a foreigner and belonged to an alien country to him.
- When Rajiv Gandhi had scheduled her first meeting with his mother, Indira Gandhi, at London, Sonia Gandhi was so nervous that Rajiv Gandhi had to reschedule her meeting with his mother.
- Her first visit to India was on 13 January 1968 and she was fetched by Rajiv Gandhi, Sanjay Gandhi and Amitabh Bachchan at the Delhi airport.
- Before her marriage, she was staying with the Bachchans at their Wellingdon Crescent House.
- Sonia was engaged to Rajiv on 26 January 1968 (Republic Day of India) and was married to him On 25 February 1968, Vasant Panchami Day, the same day when Indira married Feroz Gandhi decades earlier.
- Her Mehandi Ceremony (a day before the marriage) took place at the Bachchans house.
- Before her marriage she was well-versed in French and after her marriage she learned Hindi, initially with a tutor at home and later at an institute.
- After her marriage, Rajiv and Sonia were often seen zipping around on a Lambretta scooter on the roads of Delhi.
- She had a miscarriage before her first child, Rahul, was born.
- Sonia has a great bonding with her mother-in-law Indira Gandhi whom she loved as her own mother.
- It was Sonia who first saw Indira Gandhi in blood-ridden when she was assassinated on 31 October 1984.
- After Indira’s death, when Rajiv was asked to become the Prime Minister of India, depressed Sonia begged him not to accept the post as she feared that he would be killed too.
- Her husband, Rajiv Gandhi, was brutally assassinated in 1991 at an election rally at Seriperimbudur in Tamil Nadu and after his death; she led a life of recluse for almost 6 years.
- After much persuasion by her colleagues and other Congress workers, she joined politics in 1997.
- She has authored two books – Rajiv and Rajiv’s World.
📢⚡TRENDING: Watch the biography of REAL "Gully Boy" - Naezy⚡