Net Worth: Rs. 11.82 Crore
Age: 72 Years
|Real Name||Edvige Antonia Albina Màino|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress (INC)
|Political Journey||• In 1997, she joined Indian National Congress as a Primary Member.
• In 1998, she became Party Leader of Indian National Congress.
• In 1999, she contested Lok Sabha elections from Amethi Uttar Pradesh and Bellary Karnataka and won both the seats.
• In 1999, she was elected Leader of the Opposition of the 13th Lok Sabha.
• In the 2004 Lok Sabha Elections, she won the Lok Sabha seat from Raebareli Uttar Pradesh.
• On 16 May 2004, she was chosen the leader of a 15-party coalition government named as the United Progressive Alliance (UPA).
• In 2006, she was re-elected from her constituency Raebareli Uttar Pradesh.
• In 2009 Lok Sabha Elections, she was re-elected from Raebareli constituency for the third term.
• In 2014 Lok Sabha Elections, she won the Lok Sabha seat from Raebareli for the 4th term.
• In the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, she retained her seat of Raebareli by defeating BJP candidate Dinesh Pratap Singh by 1,67,178 votes.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 4”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 60 kg
in Pounds- 132 lbs
|Eye Colour||Hazel Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Blood Group||B (-ve)|
|Date of Birth||9 December 1946|
|Age (as in 2018)||72 Years|
|Birthplace||Lusiana, Veneto, Italy|
|Hometown||New Delhi, India (Ancestral origin - Lusiana, Italy)|
|School||Attended a Catholic School in Orbassano, a town near Turin, Italy|
|College/University||• Istituto Santa Teresa via Santa Teresa, 10 Turin, Italy
• Lennox Cook School, Cambridge
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Three Years Course in Foreign Languages (English & French) in 1964 at Istituto Santa Teresa via Santa Teresa, 10 Turin
• Certificate in English from Lennox Cook School, Cambridge in 1965
|Family||Father- Stefano Maino
Mother- Paola Maino
Sisters- Anushka (elder), Nadia (younger)
|Hobbies||Traveling, Reading, Cooking, Yoga, Interest in Modern Art|
|Major Controversies||• Throughout her career, she has been criticized for her involvement to cover-up the Bofors scam.
• During the tenure of Manmohan Singh's government, she was criticized for being the Super PM.
• She was also accused of helping her aid Ahmed Patel whose name appeared in the Augusta Westland chopper scam.
• She had to face embarrassment when her son-in-law's name (Robert Vadra) appeared in the real estate scam.
• In 2016, she had to appear in court in the National Herald Case in which she is accused of violating Income Tax Act 1961.
|Favourite Food||Ice-Creams, Salads|
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Marriage Date||25 February 1968|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||Franco Luison (Italian footballer, she allegedly dated him in the 60s; before she met Rajiv Gandhi)
|Husband||Rajiv Gandhi, Former Indian Prime Minister
|Children||Son- Rahul Gandhi (Indian member of Parliament)
Daughter- Priyanka Gandhi (Indian Politician)
|Car||Nil (as per her affidavit filed in the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections)|
|Assets/Properties||Bank Deposits: Rs. 16.59 Lakh
Bonds & Shares: Rs. 2.75 Crore
Gold Jewellery: 1267.30 gm Gold Worth Rs. 24 Lakh
Silver Jewellery: 88 kg Silver worth Rs. 35 Lakh
Agricultural Land: Worth Rs. 7.29 Crore (a 3 bigha land in village Deramandi, New Delhi & a 12 bigha land in Village Sultanpur, Mehrauli, New Delhi)
Residential Building: Share in the inherited property in Italy (value not given)
|Salary (as a Member of Parliament)||Rs. 1 Lakh + Other Allowances|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 11.82 Crore (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sonia Gandhi
- Does Sonia Gandhi smoke?: Not Known
- Does Sonia Gandhi drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Her father, Stefano Maino, fought alongside Hitler’s Army against the Soviet Military on the eastern front in World War II.
- Most of her adolescence was spent in Orbassano, a town near Turin in Italy and her mother and 2 sisters still live around Orbassano.
- Her school was famous for organizing various functions and she took part in most of them.
- In her childhood, she was very fond of Football and used to play Football with the children of her neighbourhood.
- In 1965, she went to the United Kingdom at the age of 18.
- At the age of 18, she met Rajiv Gandhi first at the Varsity Restaurant in Cambridge in 1965. Rajiv Gandhi was pursuing his Mechanical Engineering at the Trinity College at that time.
- At first, her father was very reluctant to her marriage with Rajiv as he was a foreigner and belonged to an alien country to him.
- When Rajiv Gandhi had scheduled her first meeting with his mother, Indira Gandhi, at London, Sonia Gandhi was so nervous that Rajiv Gandhi had to reschedule her meeting with his mother.
- Her first visit to India was on 13 January 1968 and she was fetched by Rajiv Gandhi, Sanjay Gandhi and Amitabh Bachchan at the Delhi airport.
- Before her marriage, she was staying with the Bachchans at their Wellington Crescent House.
- Sonia was engaged to Rajiv on 26 January 1968 (Republic Day of India) and was married to him On 25 February 1968, Vasant Panchami Day, the same day when Indira married Feroz Gandhi decades earlier.
- Her Mehandi Ceremony (a day before the marriage) took place at the Bachchans house.
- Before her marriage, she was well-versed in French and after her marriage, she learned Hindi, initially with a tutor at home and later at an institute.
- After her marriage, Rajiv and Sonia were often seen zipping around on a Lambretta scooter on the roads of Delhi.
- She had a miscarriage before her first child, Rahul, was born.
- Sonia has a great bonding with her mother-in-law Indira Gandhi whom she loved as her own mother.
- It was Sonia who first saw Indira Gandhi in blood-ridden when she was assassinated on 31 October 1984.
- After Indira’s death, when Rajiv was asked to become the Prime Minister of India, depressed Sonia begged him not to accept the post as she feared that he would be killed too.
- Her husband, Rajiv Gandhi, was brutally assassinated in 1991 at an election rally at Seriperimbudur in Tamil Nadu and after his death; she led a life of a recluse for almost 6 years.
- After much persuasion by her colleagues and other Congress workers, she joined politics in 1997.
- She has authored two books- Rajiv and Rajiv’s World.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)