|Real Name||Ranjan Gogoi|
|Famous For||Being the Chief Justice of India|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.7 m
in feet inches- 5’ 7”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 70 kg
in pounds- 155 lbs
|Date of Birth||18 November 1954|
|Age (as in 2018)||64 Years|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Scorpio|
|School||Don Bosco High School|
|College/University||St. Stephens College, Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||Not Known|
|Enrolled at Bar||1978|
|Controversies||• He and the bench received a lot of criticism on the Judgement of Soumya Murder and Rape Case after they set aside the life imprisonment awarded by the trial court to the accused.
• In the first time of the Supreme Court's history, a press conference was held by Gogoi and the three other Supreme Court Judges; questioning the working of the Supreme Court and handling of the CBI Judge B.H.Loya's Murder Case by the then Chief Justice Mishra. Justice Mishra, post the conference, condemned the actions of the judges to tarnish his image.
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Name Not Known|
|Children||Son- Raktim Gogoi
|Parents||Father- Kesab Chandra Gogoi (Politician)
Mother- Name Not Known
|Siblings||Brother- Anjan Gogoi
Sister- Not Known
|Salary (approx.)||₹2.5 Lakh|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Not Known|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ranjan Gogoi
- His father, Keshab Chandra Gogoi was the Chief Minister of Assam for two months in 1982.
- Before enrolling into a school, Ranjan and his brother Anjan did a toss to determine who goes to Sainik School. Anjan won the toss and went to Sainik School while Ranjan went to Don Bosco School.
- His brother, in an interview, revealed that Ranjan cleared the UPSC exam but didn’t see his future in it and told his father that he wanted to study law.
- In 1978, he was enrolled in the bar and started with the Gauhati High Court.
- On 5 August 1998, he lost his father.
- On 28th February 2001, he was appointed as a Permanent Judge of the Gauhati High Court.
- On 9th September 2010, he was transferred to the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
- In five months on 12 February 2011, he was made the Chief Justice of the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
- He was elevated to the Judge of the Supreme Court on 23 April 2012.
- He has been involved in many high profile cases. He dismissed Reliance Communication’s appeal; challenging the demand of the Gujarat government seeking ₹13 Crore as property tax.
- A bench led by Justice Gogoi also handled the case of JNU student Kanhaiya Kumar. He dismissed the petition; seeking a probe on the incidents of attack on Kanhaiya.
- He presided the bench that passed the judgment to introduce new electoral reforms by ruling that no one can contest elections without making a full and honest disclosure about his/her assets, educational, and criminal antecedents.
- He was also part of the bench that restricted ruling parties from publishing images of prominent persons or political leaders in government-funded advertisements.
- He is known for his strict conduct in the court.
- His bench received a lot of criticism on the judgment of Soumya Rape and Murder Case. The bench had set aside the murder charges and sentenced seven years of rigorous imprisonment to the culprits; against the sentence of life imprisonment awarded by the Trial Court.
- In January 2018, Gogoi with three other judges held an unprecedented press conference underlining the problems plaguing the Supreme Court. They accused Justice Mishra of not handling the case of the death of CBI Judge B.H.Loya. Post the conference, Justice Mishra condemned the press conference and accused the judges of tarnishing his image.
- On 14 September 2018, he was appointed as the Chief Justice of India with the term ranging from 3 October 2018 to 17 November 2019.
📢⚡TRENDING: URI is surging to become a Blockbuster, check the salary of Uri actors here⚡