Age: 32 Years
Caste: Bhumihar Community
Hometown: Bihat Village, Begusarai, Bihar
Some Lesser Known Facts About Kanhaiya Kumar
- Kanhaiya Kumar is the former President of the Jawaharlal Nehru University Students’ Union (JNUSU). He was the first member of the AISF to be elected as the President of the JNUSU. He was arrested in 2016 because of the alleged anti-national slogans which were being shouted in an event in JNU; which Kanhaiya Kumar was addressing.
- He has always been a bright student. He scored well regularly and had stood first in the entrance exam of the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) for his PhD.
- He had an interest in theatre and took part in several plays and activities organized by the Indian People’s Theatre Association (IPTA); which is the oldest association of theatre artist’s in India.
- He completed his PhD in African Studies from JNU.
- On 9 February 2016, students of the JNU had organized an event on campus, and Kanhaiya Kumar was addressing the gathering. A video of the event surfaced on news channels; in which the students were protesting against the execution of terrorist Afzal Guru and shouting anti-national slogans.
- On 12 February 2016, Kanhaiya was arrested and charged with sedition of raising anti-India slogans in a student rally but was released later on bail as there was no evidence. The video which had surfaced on the News Channels was later found to be doctored and it was revealed that people who shouted the slogans were outsiders and not the students of JNU.
- Kanhaiya’s childhood friend Shanawaz said, “Kanhaiya is a very social person. His ability to connect with people is heartwarming and he is known for being very considerate. He is politically sound and his strength in all this is that he knows he has not done anything wrong”.
- On 15 February 2016, Kanhaiya was beaten up by a group of lawyers in the Patiala House Court while Kanhaiya was being taken for his hearing by the police. Later a sting operation was done in which 3 lawyers accepted that it was a planned attack.
- After Kanhaiya’s arrest, JNU students protested and demanded that Kanhaiya and the two students arrested with him should be released with all the charges dropped; as they had done nothing wrong and were being framed by politicians for political gain.
- After his arrest, his parents said: “Kanhaiya can never disrespect his country by chanting anti-national slogans, forget country, he has never ever disrespected us in life”.
- His father who was suffering from paralysis and had been bedridden for several years passed away just a few months after his arrest.
- His mother works at an Anganwadi and earns a monthly salary of INR 3,000.
- After getting released from Tihar Jail on 3rd March 2016, Kanhaiya gave a speech in the JNU campus to all the students. They welcomed him back wholeheartedly and supported him in his fight for the future. In that speech, Kanhaiya stated that he wanted Freedom Within India.
- Kanhaiya garnered support from all over the world, while he was in jail. Many countries condemned India for arresting Kanhaiya and called it suppression of political dissent. Senior journalists and JNU Alumni criticized the whole incident and stated that such excessive use of police action in a college was not justified.
- Over 130 renowned scholars from all over the world issued a joint statement; calling the JNU incident a “shameful act of the Indian government” to invoke sedition laws formulated during colonial times to silence criticism. They also criticized “the culture of authoritarian menace that the present government in India has generated”
- On 29 April 2018, he was elected to the 125 member council of the Communist Party of India (CPI). He contested the 2019 General Elections from the Begusarai seat in Bihar on a CPI ticket.
- In February 2019, he received his doctorate degree.
- He raised over INR 70 Lacs through crowdfunding for his election campaign.
- On 9th April 2019, when Kanhaiya Kumar filed his nomination for the Begusarai seat, Bollywood actress Swara Bhaskar accompanied him. She stated that she went along with Kumar as a responsible citizen.