|Known for||Being the part of the Indian quartet that won the Lawn Bowls event at the Commonwealth Games 2022, defeating South Africa 17-10 in the final (India's first-ever medal in the sport) against New Zealand|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Gold Coast 2018 Height||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 5”
|Gold Coast 2018 Weight||in kilograms- 68 kg
in pounds- 154 lbs
|Medals||• Asia Pacific Bowls Championships (2009) held in Malaysia
Bronze in triples and fours
• Asia Pacific Bowls Championships (2019) held in Australia
Bronze in triples
• Commonwealth Games (2022) held in Birminghum
Gold in fours
|Coach||• Madhukant Pathak (a former cricket umpire)
• Richard Gayle
|Date of Birth||27 September 1987 (Sunday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||35 Years|
|School||St. Anne's Girls High School, Ranchi|
|College/University||• Indira Gandhi Institute of Physical Education & Sports Sciences, Delhi
• Gossner College, Ranchi
|Education Qualification||Bachelor of Arts in History|
|Address||Raja Bungalow Compound, Sujata Chowk|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||29 January 2022
|Husband/Spouse||Amrit Minj (engineer)|
|Parents||Father- Ujjwal Tirkey (worked in the office of the superintendent of railway police, Tatanagar)
Mother- Amita Tirkey (worked in a post office)
Note: After Ruparani’s father passed away, her mother was given the post office position, which was previously held by her father.
|Siblings||Sister- Raina Rani Tirkey (sports teacher at Tirkey Bishop School, Doranda)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Rupa Rani Tirkey
- Rupa Rani Tirkey is an Indian lawn bowler who is known for being the skipper of the Indian quartet that won a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games 2022. The women’s fours team at CWG 2022 comprised Lovely Choubey (lead), Pinki (second), Nayanmoni Saikia (third), and Rupa Rani Tirkey (skip). Rupa Rani works as the Director of Sports & Youth Affairs in West Singhbhum district, Jharkhand.
- Rupa did not start her career with lawn bowl. In an interview, she talked about this and said,
Before joining lawn balls, I played kabaddi and basketball at the national level. Meanwhile, a well-wisher told me about lawn ball. I didn’t know about this game then. I liked it when I started playing.”
- In an interview, Rupa Rani said that the position of a skipper in the team is very challenging. She said that they were provided coaching till 2018 but after the Covid-19 pandemic, due to a lack of funds at the federation, they trained themselves.
- In an interview, after winning the semi-final in CWG 2022, she expressed her happiness and said,
We cannot express our feelings in words. We have fought as a team and now our journey doesn’t end here. We have to play in a similar fashion against South Africa and do what hasn’t been done before.”
- In an interview, their team manager Anju Luthra talked about their win and said,
I am like their mother, I am attached with them since 2009. It’s a long journey, they’re like my daughters, my family. Getting a medal is important, because when we go back to India, the federation always says ‘what have you done?’, so we want to prove that we are not less than any other game.”
- After qualifying for the final in CWG, she expressed her disappointment over the fact that people only knew one sportsperson hailing from Ranchi which was MS Dhoni and nobody knew about her.
- The students of Gossner College, Ranchi have congratulated Roopa Rani Tirkey for her stupendous victory.