|Other name||Sabyasachi Chakraborty|
|Famous role||Feluda (an iconic fictional detective) in Feluda series, which was created by the distinguished filmmaker Satyajit Ray
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 188 cm
in meters- 1.88 m
in feet & inches- 6’ 2”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Debut||Television: Tero Parbon (1987) on Kolkata Doordarshan; as Gora
Film: Antardhan (1992); as a police inspector named Rohit
TV film: Jamai Elo Ghare (2019) on ZEE5; as father-in-law of the protagonist
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• BFJA 1995, 2000, and in 2003: Best Actor award in a Supporting Role
• BFJA 1996: Best Actor award for the film Kakababu Here Gelen
• Anandalok Awards 2002: Best Actor award for the Bengali film Ek Je Aachhe Kanya
• Anandalok Awards 2004: Best Actor for the Bengali film Bombaiyer Bombete
• BFJA 2005: Best Actor for the film Mahulbanir Sereng
• Los Angeles Film Awards 2019: Best Actor for the film Anurup
|Date of Birth||8 September 1956 (Saturday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||67 Years|
|Birthplace||Calcutta, West Bengal|
|School||Andrew's High School, Kolkata|
|College/University||Hansraj College, University of Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||A bachelor's degree in Science|
|Caste||He belongs to a Bengali Brahmin community.|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||8 March 1986|
|Wife/Spouse||Mithu Chakrabarty (Bengali TV actress and theatre artist)
|Children||He has two sons named Gaurav Chakrabarty and Arjun Chakrabarty
(Note: Image in Wife/Spouse section)
|Parents||Father- Jagadish Chandra Chakrabarty
Mother- Monica Chakrabarty
|Other relative(s)||• Uncle: Bijon Bhattacharjee (Indian theatre actor)
• Paternal aunt's husband: Jochhon Dastidar (Bengali theatre artist)
• Aunt: Chandra Dastidar (Bengali theatre artist)
Sreeja Sen (w/o Arjun Chakrabarty)
Ridhima Ghosh (w/o Gaurav Chakrabarty) (Indian film actress)
|Film(s)||The Lion King (2019) and The Jungle Book|
|Car collection||He owns a Mahindra Scorpio. The Telegraph|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sabyasachi Chakrabarty
- Sabyasachi Chakrabarty is a prominent Indian-Bengali actor who is known for his predominant work in the Bengali film industry. He has played the iconic character of Feluda in many films by Satyajit Ray, including Baksho Rahashya (1996), Bosepukure Khunkharapi (1997), Dr Munshir Diary (2000), Tintorettor Jishu (2008), and Double Feluda (2016).
- After completing his education in Delhi, he came back to Kolkata and joined Charbak, a theatre group, in 1983.
- In 1984, his father, Jagadish Chandra Chakrabarty, passed away following which Sabyasachi left his job. Later, he joined an audio-video production company, Sonex, which was formed by his uncle Jochhon Dastidar. The company produced television programmes for the Doordarshan channel. There, he worked as a technical director and was responsible for checking the camera and tripod and managing backstage work.
- Sabyasachi was then offered to work in a television series by Jochhon Dastidar and that is when he debuted as an actor in an Indian Bengali language TV drama titled Tero Parbon, which telecasted on the Kolkata Doordarshan channel. He became a household name and face after appearing in the show.
- In an interview, Sabyasachi said that Feluda is one of his idols and favourite heroes from a young age.
- Later, he appeared in many Bengali TV shows including Sey Shomoy (1989), Ekaki Aronye (2001), Ganer Opare (2010), In Their Life (2018), and Durga Soptosoti Sombhobami Juge Juge (2020).
- Sabyasachi has appeared in many Hindi films including Ascharya Deepak (1990), Dil Se (1998), Khakee (2004), Tarkash/Cell 3 (2000), and Parineeta (2005). In the film ‘Parineeta,’ he played the role of Navinchandra Roy and shared the screen with popular actors Vidya Balan, Saif Ali Khan, and Sanjay Dutt.
- In an interview, while talking about his comeback in the Feluda series, Sabyasachi said,
I don’t feel like working in movies or television or theatre anymore. It’s been more than 32 years now. I don’t feel like doing it anymore. There are 101 ways to earn money. I’ll act only when I feel like it. Don’t force me to act. I like doing Feluda. If Babuda (Satyajit Ray) calls me for the next Feluda film, then I’ll do it.”
- In an interview, while talking about the first time he read the Feluda series, Sabyasachi said,
I first read Gangtokey Gondogol in the late 1960s. I was about 13-14. Serious titles with big, difficult words would scare me. A title like Gangtokey Gondogol appealed to me, and I was bowled over. Then I read Feludar Goyendagiri. And I became even more engrossed. I was in Delhi. I would wait every year for the Feluda stories, and that’s how I got involved.”
- Chakrabarty is an ardent and enthusiastic lover of travelling, wildlife, and aircraft.