Age: 38 Years
Hometown: Udham Singh Nagar, Uttarakhand
Husband: Rizwan Ahmed
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shayara Bano
- Soon after she got married to Rizwan Ahmed of Uttar Pradesh, a property dealer by profession, in 2002, her in-laws began to demand more money and a car. She would always be threatened by her husband for the divorce whenever he finds some fault in her.
- She was not even allowed to attend her sister’s marriage, and never got to visit her, even when she was in the same city.
- Bano alleged her in-laws stating that she underwent six abortions under their pressure. She said, their intention was to kill her.
- After her husband sent her a note which contained the word ‘talaq’ written thrice in it, when she visited her parents in October 2015, she filed a petition in the Supreme Court to impose a ban on instantaneous triple talaq, polygamy, and nikah halala.
- Her husband took away both their kids with him after getting divorced. All this situation forced her into depression. She later had to get treated for the same and some other ailments.
- In late August 2017, the Supreme Court of India gave its final go on the case that was under the watch of the whole nation. The 5-judge bench, which included J. S. Khehar, the then Chief Justice of India, in its 3:2 verdict ruled the centuries-old practice to be violative of Article 14 and 21 of the Indian Constitution, and that the triple talaq was against the basic tenets of the Quran.
- Soon after joing the BJP in October 2020, the BJP government in Uttarakhand gave her minister of state status. Ms. Bano was the first Muslim woman to question the constitutionality of the practice of triple talaq in the Supreme Court.