Wife: Sadhana Singh
Hometown: Budhni, Madhya Pradesh
Age: 61 Years
|Nickname||Mama (fondly called in Madhya Pradesh)|
|Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||1972: Joined the Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS)
1975: Became the President of Students' Union of Model Higher Secondary School
1978: Became the organizing secretary of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP)
1978: Became the Joint Secretary of ABVP
1980: Became the General Secretary of ABVP
1982: Became the member of National Executive at ABVP
1984: Became the Joint Secretary of Bhartiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM)
1985: Became the General Secretary of BJYM
1988: Became the President of BJYM
1990: Elected to the State Assembly from Budni Constituency
1991: Became the Convener of ABVP
1991, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2004: Elected as a Member of Parliament (MP)
1992: Became the General Secretary of BJP in Madhya Pradesh
1993: Became the Member of Consultative Committee on Labor and Welfare
1994: Became the Member of Hindi Salahkar Samiti
1996, 1997: Became the Member of Committee on Urban and Rural Development
1997: Became the General Secretary of BJP in Madhya Pradesh
1998: Became the Member of Committee on Urban and Rural Development and its Sub-Committee on Ministry of Rural Areas and Employment
1999: Became the Member of Committee on Agriculture, and Public Undertakings
2000: Became the National President of Yuva Morcha
2000: Became the Chairman of House Committee and National Secretary, BJP
2005, 2009, 2014: Became the Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh
2020: On 23 March, he again took the oath as the Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 9”
|Date of Birth||5 March 1959|
|Age (as in 2020)||61 Years|
|Birthplace||Budhni, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|Hometown||Budhni, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|College/University||Barkatullah University, Bhopal|
|Educational Qualification||M.A. (Philosophy)|
|Family||Father- Prem Singh Chauhan
Mother- Sundar Bai Chauhan
Brothers- Narendra Singh Chouhan (Younger)
Surjit Singh Chouhan (Younger, Politician)
|Address||Village-Jait, Post-Sardar Nagar, Budhni, Sehore, Madhya Pradesh|
|Controversies||• Upon complaint of Congress leader and lawyer Ramesh Sahu, the Bhopal Court had ordered an inquiry against the Chief Minister and his wife Sadhna Singh in "Dumper scam" in 2007. Sadhna Singh had allegedly bought four dumpers for ₹2 crore and later leased them to a cement factory. She was later surrounded by the allegation that she provided a false residential address and named her husband as SR Singh. Thereafter, the Lokayukta police registered a case under IPC 420 and Prevention of Corruption Act against CM and his wife and began to probe the case. However, in 2011, the two were given clean-chit because of the inadequate evidence.
• In 2009, an Indore-based doctor and activist Dr. Anand Rai filed a PIL in the Madhya Pradesh high court, highlighting the malpractices in the examination and recruitment process by Vyapam. The PIL led Shivraj Singh Chouhan to set up an inquiry committee, which presented its report in 2011. In 2013, whistleblower Rai made shocking revelations by saying that many candidates had secured admission to medical colleges in Madhya Pradesh through fraudulent methods. The case was initially investigated by the Special Task Force (STF) under the supervision of the High Court. In 2015, the Supreme Court handed over the case to the CBI due to the alleged biases of the STF. Shivraj Singh Chouhan's name was also dragged in the Vyapam scam, but in 2017, the CBI gave a clean chit to him. However, the Vyapam whistleblowers questioned the credibility of CBI and said that CBI had tampered with evidence to save him.
• In November 2009, to promote regionalism he asked the industrialists of Madhya Pradesh to hire locals and not Biharis. His remarks were highly criticised all over India, especially by the politicians of Bihar. However, later he clarified his statement by saying that everyone was welcome in the state of Madhya Pradesh.
• In June 2017, 5 farmers killed in police firing when they were protesting in Mandsaur, Madhya Pradesh, demanding farm loan waivers and better rates for their farm produce. However, the state's home minister, Bhupendra Singh, said that it was not the police but the anti-social elements in the crowd that fired bullets. A few days later, the Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan did a fast that lasted nearly 28 hours, at Dussehra Maidan in Bhopal, as a damage repair attempt to appease the agitated farmers in the state. However, the Congress Party called it a "nautanki" (drama), and an act of regret for his faults that set Madhya Pradesh on fire.
• In January 2018, he landed himself in a controversy after an undated video of him slapping his alleged bodyguard came out in media, that took place during a roadshow in Sardarpur.
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Sadhana Singh (Worked as secretary of Late Pramod Mahajan)|
|Wife/Spouse||Sadhana Singh (m. 1992 - present)
|Children||Sons- Kartikey Chouhan, Kunal Chouhan
Daughter- 1 (adopted)
|Salary||₹2 lakh/month + Other allowances|
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹6 crore (as in 2013)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shivraj Singh Chouhan
- Shivraj was born into a middle-class family with a farming background.
- As a kid, he used to spend a good amount of time swimming in the serene waters of river Narmada as he was very much attached to the river.
- At the age of 9, he showed promising signs of leadership quality from the very beginning as he fought for the rights of agricultural labourers of his village, and managed to raise their wages by twice.
- His teenage interest in politics made him join Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) in the early 70s.
- Due to his excellent speeching skills and great awareness about the socio-economic and political issues, he became a popular teenage leader, and at the age of 16, he became the President of Model Higher Secondary School Students’ Union.
- Between 1976-77, he was imprisoned in Bhopal jail for his participation in an underground movement against Emergency.
- He is a gold medalist in M. A. (Philosophy) and is an agriculturist by profession.
- He met his wife Sadhna Singh Chauhan, a Maharashtrian Rajput when she used to work as the secretary of Late Pramod Mahajan. Shivraj and Sadhana came close to each other during the election campaigns, and soon after, they married.
- He was named the Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh in 2005, a chair he has not left aside since then.
- He won the Krishi Karman award for delivering highest production of wheat in the year 2011-12.
- The same year, he won the Indian of the year award by NDTV.
- In 2012, he won the United Nations Public Service Award for Madhya Pradesh Public Service Guarantee Act.
- Chouhan was once considered “Mr. Clean’ inside the party, but the image shattered with certain scams that got opened up in the media. It is also believed that he is not directly involved in any of the wrongdoings, but his wife has tarnished his image.