Nitish Kumar (Politician) Age, Caste, Wife, Family, Biography & More
Hometown: Bakhtiarpur, Bihar
Education: B.Sc. In Electrical Engineering
Age: 72 Years
|Nickname(s)||Munna, Sushasan Babu|
|Party||Janata Dal (United)
|Political Journey||1971: Became a member of Ram Manohar Lohia's youth wing, Samajwadi Yuvajan Sabha
1974: Joined the JP movement, arrested under the Maintenance of Internal Security Act
1975: Arrested during the infamous Emergency
1985: Became the member of the Bihar Legislative Assembly
1987: Became state president of Lok Dal
1989: Appointed as Secretary General of Janata Dal, Bihar. Elected as a Member of Parliament for the first time
1990: Union Minister of State for Agriculture and Cooperation
1995: Started the Samata party along with George Fernandes
1999: Union Minister for Surface Transport
2000: Union Minister of Agriculture. He also became the Chief Minister of Bihar for the 1st time for only 8 days as he couldn't prove majority
2001: Union Minister for Railways
2005: Sworn in as the Chief Minister of Bihar for the 2nd time with BJP's support
2010: Sworn in as the Chief Minister of Bihar for the 3rd time.
2014: Broke up with the long time partner BJP, after which his party was defeated badly in Lok Sabha elections and he resigned as CM.
2015: Sworn in as the Chief Minister for the 4th time. The same year he was sworn in as the Chief minister of Bihar for the 5th time and the government was, in fact, a coalition government, which was popularly termed as Mahagathbandhan that includes Rashtriya Janata Dal, Indian National Congress, and Janata Dal (United)
2017: Broke up with the Mahagathbandhan and sworn in as Chief Minister on 27 July 2015 for a record 6th time with BJP's support
2022: On 9 August, he ended his alliance with the BJP in Bihar and tendered his resignation as the Chief Minister of Bihar to Governor Phagu Chauhan following which he staked claim to form the government by submitting a letter of support of 160 MLAs. The Hindu
2022: On 10 August, he took oath as Bihar CM for a record eight-time. Business Line
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 8”
|Date of Birth||1 March 1951|
|Age (as of 2023)||72 Years|
|Birthplace||Bakhtiarpur, Bihar, India|
|Hometown||Bakhtiarpur, Bihar, India|
|School||Shree Ganesh High School, Bakhtiarpur
Patna Science College, Patna
|College||Bihar College of Engineering, Patna|
|Educational Qualification(s)||B.Sc. in Electrical Engineering from Bihar College of Engineering (1972)|
|Family||Father- Kaviraj Ram Lakhan Singh (Ayurvedist)
Mother- Parmeshwari Devi
Brother- Satish Kumar (Elder)
Sisters- Usha Devi (Elder), Indu Devi (Younger), and Prabha Devi (Younger)
|Caste||OBC (Kurmi) The Print|
|Address||1 Aney Marg, Patna, Bihar (as Chief Minister of Bihar)
Village - Hakikatpur, PO - Bakhtiarpur, District - Patna, Bihar (permanent address)
|Controversies||• He broke his alliance with BJP before 2014 general elections after Narendra Modi was chosen as the NDA's Prime Minister candidate.
• His alliance with his long time opposition RJD of Lalu Prasad Yadav and Congress in 2015 Bihar elections was highly criticized.
• He landed in a controversy after a video of him meeting a "tantrik" went viral during 2015 Bihar elections.
• After he sacked his Excise Minister Jamshed Ashraf in 2010, Ashraf alleged him in a scandal involving evasion of taxes on liquor that has led to revenue losses worth 500 crores (INR).
• Appointing and removing of Bihar's CM, Jitan Ram Manjhi created a lot of fire.
• Broke the alliance with RJD and INC and with in 24 hrs he formed the government in Bihar with the support of BJP and NDA.
|Food||Butter Masala Dosa|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife/Spouse||Late Manju Kumari Sinha (Teacher- m.1973-till her death in 2007)|
Son- Nishant Kumar (he considers himself an apolitical person and wants to lead a spiritual life) The Telegraph
|Salary (per month)||1 Lakh (INR)+ Other allowances|
|Net Worth (as in 2014)||2 Crore (INR)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Nitish Kumar
- Does Nitish Kumar smoke?: No
- Before politics, he worked in Bihar State Electricity Board for some time.
- In his younger days, he was highly influenced by Jayaprakash Narayan, Ram Manohar Lohia, Karpoori Thakur, S N Sinha and V.P. Singh.
- In 1985, he was first elected to the Bihar Legislative Assembly as an independent candidate.
- There are 2 biographies written on him: “Single Man: The Life And Times of Nitish Kumar of Bihar” by Sankarshan Thakur and “Nitish Kumar and The Rise of Bihar” by Arun Sinha.
- His only son, Nishant is a graduate from Birla Institute of Technology (BIT), Mesra.
- His work as the Union minister for railways from 1998 to 2004 was highly appreciated as he improved the condition of the railways during his tenure.
- His son, Nishant is 3 times richer than him.
- He received awards like “Business Reformer of the Year” and “The Best Politician of the Year.”
- His father, Kaviraj Ram Lakhan Singh was a freedom fighter in the struggle for India’s independence.
- His father left the Indian National Congress (INC) and joined the Janata Party because he wasn’t given a party ticket to contest in general elections of 1952.
- He introduced the “Jankari Scheme”, the electronic version of the RTI Act in Bihar.
- On 26 July 2017, he resigned as the Chief Minister of Bihar after breaking the alliance with RJD and INC.
- On 27 July 2017, fewer than 24 hours after resigning from the post of the Chief Minister of Bihar, Nitish Kumar was sworn in as the Chief Minister of Bihar for the 6th time with the support of the BJP and the NDA.