Some Lesser Known Facts About Arindam Bagchi
- Arindam Bagchi is an Indian diplomat and civil services officer, who is appointed as the Spokesperson of the Ministry of External Affairs, India in March 2021.
- He is an Indian Foreign Service officer of the 1995 batch.
- In 1997, he was appointed as the Third Secretary/Second Secretary at the Embassy of India in Madrid, Spain, where he held the position for more than two years.
- In 2000, he began to serve as the Second Secretary/First Secretary at the Embassy of India in Lima, Peru.
- In 2004, after he returned to India, he began to serve as the Deputy Secretary at the Ministry of External Affairs.
- In May 2007, he began to serve as the First Secretary/Counsellor at the Permanent Mission of India to the UN, New York, USA; he held the position for about three years.
- In 2010, after he returned to India, he was appointed as the Director at the Prime Minister’s Office.
- In June 2014, he held the position of Deputy High Commissioner in the High Commission of India in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- In November 2018, he was appointed as the Ambassador at the Embassy of India in Zagreb, Croatia.
- In 2019, he was invited to the Croatia Grand Chess Tour in Zagreb in which the Indian Chess Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand was one of the participants.
- In June 2020, he was appointed as the Joint Secretary at the Ministry of External Affairs in India.
- On 14 March 2021, he began to serve as the Spokesperson of the Ministry of External Affairs in India.
- In April 2022, Ilhan Omar, a US Congresswoman, visited Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK), on her four-day trip to Pakistan. PoK is considered a disputable region in Kashmir between India and Pakistan. India called her visit a narrow-minded politics. Before her visit to Pakistan, she had often raised human rights violations in India. In a press meeting at the Ministry of External Affairs, India, while talking about her trip to Pakistan and visiting PoK, Arindam Bagchi criticised her and said,
We have noted that she has visited a part of the Indian union territory of Jammu & Kashmir that is currently illegally occupied by Pakistan. If such a politician wishes to practice her narrow-minded politics at home that may be her business but violating our territorial integrity and sovereignty in its pursuit makes this ours and we think the visit is condemnable.”