|Nickname||Lal Pari Mastani|
|Profession||Singer, Music Composer, Lyricist|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in Feet Inches- 5' 7”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 66 kg
in Pounds- 146 lbs
|Figure Measurements (approx.)||34-26-34|
|Hair Colour||Black (Dyed Brown)|
|Date of Birth||17 June 1976|
|Age (as in 2018)||42 Years|
|Birth Place||Cuttack, Odisha|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Gemini|
|School||Kendra Vidhyalaya, Bhubaneswar|
|College||College of Engineering and Technology, Bhubaneswar
Symbiosis Centre for Management & HRD, Pune
|Educational Qualification||B.Tech in Instrumentation & Electronics Engineering
MBA in Marketing
|Singing Debut||Bollywood: 'Lori' from the movie- Family (2006)
Album: Sona (2007)
|Family||Father- Dilip Mohapatra (an officer in the Indian Navy)
Mother- Nayantara Mohapatra
Sister- Pratichee Mohapatra (Singer), Madhumita Mohapatra
Brother- Not Known
|Controversies||• Sona Mohapatra had to bear the brunt of Salman Khan's fans on twitter after the former posted a controversial tweet in response to Salman Khan's "I felt like a raped woman" statement. Her tweet read:
• In December 2016, the 'Ambarsariya' singer made headlines again when she posted an open letter on Facebook, slamming the highly reputed educational institution, IIT Bombay, for their 'blatant sexism towards female artists.' In the letter, Mohapatra claimed that she was approached by the institute's management with an offer to perform at their annual cultural fest, Mood Indigo. However, the offer had a condition that Mohapatra could not perform alone and was supposed to team up with any male artist. 'Feminist' Mohapatra then took to social media to display her frustration.
• Adhyan Suman, son of actor-comedian Shekhar Suman, once revealed horrific details about his relationship with ex-girlfriend, Kangana Ranaut, in an interview. The actor revealed that Kangana abused her not only mentally but also physically. He even went on to drop some hints pointing Kangana's love for black magic rituals. However, Kangana's close friend Sona Mohapatra did not like her friend's image being tarnished. As revenge, she then took to Twitter and indulged in a war of words with the 'victim' actor.
• In 2018, during the MeToo campaign, she alleged that she was sexually harassed by Kailash Kher and also said that Anu Malik is a 'serial predator.'
• In 2018, Sona faced huge criticism in Odisha after she sang the devotional song "Ahe Nila Saila," which was written by the saint-poet, Bhakta Salabega, in the 17th century. Odia people claimed that she had horribly mispronounced many words in the song including the name of the poet. Moreover, her choice of clothes for a devotional song was questioned by the people. Later, she tweeted that her haters should stop criticising her or else she would go naked. Her sentence sparked rage across the state and an FIR was registered against her. Her effigies were also burnt on the streets of the city.
• In 2019, Mohapatra lashed out at Salman Khan for criticising Priyanka Chopra for leaving the film "Bharat." Following which, she received a death threat from one of Salman's fans. After the incident, she shared the screenshots of the threats. The person later apologised for his act.
|Favourite Singers/Music Composers||Nusrat Fateh Ali, Sting, Bebe, Girija Devi, Pt Channulal Mishra, A. R. Rahman|
|Favourite Rock Band||Ojos de Brujo|
|Favourite Songs||Abhi naa Jaao Chodhkar from the movie Hum Dono (1961), (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" by Aretha Franklin|
|Favourite Attires||Ikat dhotis, Tunics, Jumpsuits, Stoles, Jackets|
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Husband||Ram Sampath (Music composer)
|Marriage Date||Year- 2005|
|Children||Son- Not Known
Daughter- Not Known
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sona Mohapatra
- Does Sona Mohapatra smoke: Not Known
- Does Sona Mohapatra drink alcohol: Not Known
- She spent her childhood at different places including Cochin, Pune, Hyderabad, and Nigeria as her father was an officer in the Indian Navy.
- Sona Mohapatra started her career as a brand manager in an FMCG company named Marico, where she managed brands like Mediker and Parachute.
- Sona, however, gave up her job and started looking for opportunities to make a name in the singing industry.
- Her mini-breakthrough came when she sang the Jingle ‘Paas Aao Na’ for the Toothpaste brand, Close-Up. In addition, she also gave her voice for Tata Salt’s ‘Kal Ka Bharat Hai’ jingle.
- Although she has lent her voice to a number of successful Bollywood songs, she is best remembered for the song Ambarsariya from the film- Fukrey (2013).
- She became a household name after featuring as a lead singer and performer in Aamir Khan’s Satyamev Jayate TV series. Her song, Mujhe Kya Bechega Rupaiya, from one of the episodes, became an instant success on YouTube, garnering as many as 5 million hits in the first week only. Notably, Mohapatra and her husband Ram Sampath were co-producers of the show’s musical project.
- The couple now owns many studios in Mumbai and also runs a music production house by the name of OmGrown Music.
- Also an avid live performer, Mohapatra now performs regularly at various musical fests and concerts.
- In 2018, Sona launched her show ‘Lal Pari Mastani’ that aired on “Red FM.”
- She is fond of jackets and has a huge collection of them.