Some Lesser Known Facts About Swapna Suresh
- Swapna Suresh is an Indian IT professional and entrepreneur. In June 2022, she hit the headlines when her name got involved in the 2020 Kerala gold smuggling case.
- Reportedly, on 5 July 2020, the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs seized 30 kilograms (66 lb) of 24-carat gold worth ₹14.82 crores from the suspects of gold smuggling.
- According to some media sources, soon after finishing her studies, Swapna started working at Abu Dhabi airport in the passenger service department. She then returned to India and worked with a travel agency in Thiruvanthapura for 2 years. Thereafter, she started working as an HR executive at Air India Sats in 2013. Reportedly, at Air India Stats, she started conspiring to frame an airport staff with the help of some other senior executive at the firm in a sexual harassment case by developing the bogus signatures of the women employees. According to some media reports, she forged seventeen complaints against the person. This person later filed a police complaint to seek a probe into the conspiracy. However, the investigation was stopped due to her influence. Indian Express
- In 2016, she began working as a secretary of the Consulate General in the UAE Consulate when its branch opened in the state capital. In the firm, she started making links in social, bureaucratic, and political circles pretending herself as a diplomat. However, a year ago, she was dismissed from the office of the Consulate General due to her involvement in a criminal case.
- Later, she began working as a marketing executive at Kerala State Information Technology Infrastructure Limited (KSITIL) on the recommendation of a senior IAS officer and IT secretary, M Sivasankar, as its chairman. Indian Express
- The family of Swapna Suresh belongs to Balaramapuram, Thiruvanthapuram, Kerala, India.
- In 2020, Swapna Suresh was the second accused in the diplomatic baggage gold smuggling case. Sarith Kumar, Fazil Farid, Sandeep Nair, M.Sivasankar, and Rashed Khamis Ali Musaiqri Alshemeli were the other suspects in the 2020 Kerala gold smuggling case. M Sivasankar was suspended from the ministry of Kerala soon after it was confirmed that Swapna Suresh had links with M Sivasankar, the principal secretary of the Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
- During the smuggling incident, Swapna Suresh was working as a business development manager under a project undertaken by Space Park under Kerala State Information Technology Infrastructure Limited. The Indian Express She was appointed as a temporary contractual employee at PricewaterhouseCoopers. It was revealed during the investigation that she was recommended by M Sivasankar for this post, and for her appointment to this post, she submitted the fake documents. A police investigation was initiated by KSITIL to seek a probe against PwC for appointing her. The New Indian Express Indian Express KSITIL officials claimed,
Suresh, a graduate, was qualified for the job, her brother living abroad told the media she hadn’t even completed the state school board exam. One of her former colleagues at a travel agency also doubted about her qualification, saying she had completed only Class XII.”
- During the same investigation, it was disclosed that in an apartment construction project in Vadakanchery, Swapna was accused of initiating financial discrepancies. The New Indian Express
- On 5 October 2020, Swapna Suresh was granted bail.
- In June 2022, the former minister KT Jaleel filed a new conspiracy case against her. During the investigation, on 27 August 2020, a TV journalist and coordinating editor of Janam TV, Anil Nambiar, was also questioned by the Enforcement Directorate of India in the 2020 Kerala gold smuggling case. It was stated by police that he was in contact with Swapna Suresh on 5 July 2020 when the Customs retrieved the smuggled gold.
- Swapna Suresh is well versed in Arabic, Hindi, and English languages.