|Full Name||Raja Virbhadra Singh|
|Famous For||Being the Former Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Eye Colour||Hazel Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress
|Political Journey||• He elected in the 1962 Indian General Elections and won a seat in the Lok Sabha.
• He again won in the Indian General Elections of 1967 and 1971.
• In 1976, he was appointed as a member of the Indian Delegation to the General Assembly of the UN (United Nations).
• In 1983, he became the Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh for the first time and won his seat from the Jubbal-Kotkhai constituency.
• He was appointed as the President of the Himachal Pradesh Congress Committee from February 1992 to September 1994.
• He again elected in the 2017 state assembly elections and lost.
|Biggest Rival||Prem Kumar Dhumal|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Silver Elephant for Contribution in Scouts and Guides Movement
• Golden Peacock Environment Leadership Award by London based institute of Directors For Contribution in Promotion of Environment, Eco-Tourism, Wild Life, Environment Governance, and Banning of plastic bags in HP
• National Award of Excellence in Agricultural Marketing
|Date of Birth||23 June 1934|
|Age (as in 2018)||84 Years|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Cancer|
|Hometown||Sarahan, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh|
|School||Bishop Cotton School, Shimla|
|College||St. Stephen's College, Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||BA (Hons)|
|Address||Holly Lodge, Jakhoo Shimla-171001|
|Hobbies||Reading, Listening to Music|
|Controversies||• One charge related to forgery (IPC Section-465).
• One charge related to using a forged document as genuine one or electronic record (IPC Section-471).
• In 2016, The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) filed a charge sheet against Virbhadra Singh and his wife in connection with a disproportionate assets case.
• He was again in the news for his controversial statements on Gudiya Rape Case (2017) and over the death of people due to swine flu.
• In 2018, Virbhadra Singh's nephew, Rajeshwar Singh, filed an FIR against Virbhadra Singh and his son in property dispute case.
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||• Rajkumari Rattan Kumari (m. 28 May 1954; till her death on 27 September 1983)
• Pratibha Singh (Politician) (m. 28 November 1985)
• Vikramaditya Singh (Politician) (with Pratibha Singh)
• Rajkumari Jyotsna Kumari (with Rajkumari Rattan Kumari)
• Rajkumari Anuradha Kumari (Died) (with Rajkumari Rattan Kumari)
• Rajkumari Abhilasha Kumari (Judge) (with Rajkumari Rattan Kumari)
• Rajkumari Meenakshi Kumari (with Rajkumari Rattan Kumari)
• Aparajita Singh (with Pratibha Singh)
|Parents||Father- Late Raja Padam Singh
Mother- Late Rani Shanti Devi
|Siblings||Brother- Rajkumar Rajendra Singh
Sister- Not Known
|Cars Collection||Skoda, Toyota Fortuner, Toyota Camry, SUV Mercedes-Benz GL-Class|
• Cash- ₹6 Lakh
• Deposits in Banks & Non-Banking Companies- ₹6.5 Crore
• Bonds, Debentures and Shares in companies- ₹7 Lakh
• NSS, Postal Savings- ₹16 Lakh
• LIC or other Insurance Policies- ₹2 Crore
• Jewellery- ₹97 Lakh
• Agricultural Land worth ₹18.5 Crore
• Non Agricultural Land worth ₹2.5 Crore
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹27.5 Crore (as of 2014)|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Virbhadra Singh
- Does Virbhadra Singh Smoke?: Not Known
- Does Virbhadra Singh Drink Alcohol?: Not Known
- He was born into the royal family of Rampur Bushahr, Himachal Pradesh. The family which is traditionally believed to be found by Pradhuman (son of Lord Krishna).
- In Himachal Pradesh, he is famous by the name, Raja Sahib.
- He was never interested in politics. He always wanted to be a professor. In 1962, he received a phone call from Lal Bahadur Shastri, which changed his life completely. In an interview, he told that
“Shashtri ji said I had to meet Pandit Nehru. I didn’t know what I had done, but I came to Delhi and went to Teen Murti Marg where Indiraji met me and took me to Panditji. He was a clever man, he quizzed me, tested my knowledge with questions about Himachal Pradesh, about democracy and the next thing I knew I was given a ticket to fight the Lok Sabha election which I won. I was only 25 then.”
- In 1962, he elected for the Lok Sabha seat at the age of 28 and the first Prime Minister of India, Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru was the person who asked him to contest.
- From 1976 to 1977, he has served as a Deputy Minister for Tourism and Civil Aviation in central cabinet.
- From 1980 to 1983, he was appointed as the Minister of State for Industries & Production.
- Later, he held the cabinet post of Minister for Steel from May 2009 to January 2011.
- From 19 January 2011 to 26 June 2012, he was chosen as the Minister of Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises for the country.
- He has served six times as the Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh and has been selected five times as a member of parliament (Lok Sabha).
- He has been an honorary Captain in the Indian Army.
- He was also appointed as the Education Minister of HP while being serving as the CM of the state simultaneously.
- He is the fourth and longest serving Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh with 7680 days in office.
- He is associated with several social and cultural organizations including Friends of the Soviet Union, Indo-Soviet Friendship Society, and President Sanskrit Sahitya Sammelan, Himachal Pradesh.
- In 2015, a biopic titled ‘Virbhadra Singh: Icon of the Era’ got released. The biopic is based on his personal and political life.
- His wife, Pratibha Singh, was also a member of Lok Sabha from Mandi.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)
- His son, Vikramaditya Singh, has served as the President of HP State Youth Congress.