Age: 51 Years
Wife: Priyadarshini Raje Scindia
|Full Name||Jyotiraditya Madhavrao Scindia|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet inches- 5’ 6”
|Political Party||• Indian National Congress (INC); 18 December 2011 - 9 March 2020)
• Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP); 11 March 2020 - present
|Political Journey||2001: Joined the Indian National Congress on 18 December.
2002: Elected to the Lok Sabha from the Guna constituency of Madhya Pradesh.
2004: Re-elected to the Lok Sabha.
2007: Became a member of Union Council of Ministers as the Minister of State for Communications and Information Technology.
2009: Elected to the Lok Sabha for the third time and also took charge as the Minister of State for Commerce and Industry.
2012: Became the Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power.
2013: Became the Chief of the Campaign Committee, Madhya Pradesh.
2014: Elected to the Lok Sabha from Guna.
2019: Lost the Guna Lok Sabha seat to Krishna Pal Singh Yadav of BJP.
2020: Resigned from the Indian National Congress on 9 March and joined the BJP on 11 March.
2021: He took oath as a Cabinet Minister in Narendra Modi's Council of Ministers on 7 July.
2022: He assumed the additional charge of the Steel Ministry after R.C.P. Singh resigned from the post on 6 July, a day before the completion of his Rajya Sabha term. The Hindu
|Date of Birth||1 January 1971|
|Age (as of 2022)||51 Years|
|Birthplace||Bombay, Maharashtra, India|
|Hometown||Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh|
|School(s)||• Campion School, Bhopal, India
• The Doon School, Dehradun
|College/University||• Harvard University
• Stanford Graduate School of Business
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Graduation in Economics from Harvard University
• M.B.A. from Stanford Graduate School of Business
|Address||Jai Vilas Palace, Lashkar, Gwalior 470 004, Madhya Pradesh|
|Hobbies||Cricket, Swimming, Reading, Travelling, Photography, Playing Golf|
|Controversies||• Jyotiraditya filed a legal claim over the property of his late father, worth Rs. 20,000 Crore; claiming himself the sole inheritor, which was challenged by his aunts in the court.
• A legal notice was filed by Jyotiraditya against the Bharatiya Janata Party chief, Nand Kumar Singh Chouhan over the allegations that a hospital in Madhya Pradesh, which was inaugurated by a Dalit BJP MLA, Gopilal Jatav, was 'cleaned by sprinkling Gangajal,' just before Jyotiraditya's visit to the Hospital. To which BJP refused to back down on their claims, stating the act insulted the entire Dalit community.
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||December 12, 1994|
|Wife/Spouse||Priyadarshini Raje Scindia (from the Gaekwad Family of Baroda)
|Children||Son- Mahanaryaman Scindia
Daughter- Ananya Scindia
|Parents||Father- Madhavrao Scindia (Politician; died on 30 September 2001)
Mother- Madhavi Raje Scindia
Sister- Chitrangada Raje Scindia
|Relatives||Paternal Aunt- Vasundhara Raje (Politician)
|Assets/Properties||Bank Fixed Deposits: Rs. 83 Lakhs
Bonds, Debentures, Shares: Rs. 1 Crore
Jewellery: Rs. 24 Lakhs
Total Value: Rs. 2 Crore (as in 2014)
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 33 Crore (as of 2014)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Jyotiraditya Scindia
- He belongs to the Scindia Family who once ruled the city, Gwalior.
- His grandfather was Jivajirao Scindia, the last Maharaja of the then princely state, Gwalior; which in 1947, joined the Dominion of India.
- His father, Madhavrao Scindia, became the titleholder of his royal family after the demise of Jivajirao Scindia, but in 1971, after the 26th amendment, all the official symbols of princely India, including privileges, titles, and privy purses were abolished by the Government of India.
- His father died in a plane crash in the year 2001, after which, Jyotiraditya joined politics.
- He represents the Guna constituency of Madhya Pradesh as a Member of Parliament.
- He was one of the richest ministers (in the UPA Government) with assets around Rs. 25 Crores including foreign securities and investments worth over Rs. 16 crores as per a source in 2014.
- He has also been the Chairman of the regional Madhya Pradesh Cricket Association (MPCA).
- He spoke against the corruption in Indian Cricket after the spot-fixing scandal of the Indian Premier League came into light, following which a member of the MPCA, Sanjay Jagdale, resigned from his post of secretary from the Board of Control for Cricket in India.
- He has also served as an investment banker at Merrill Lynch and Morgan Stanley.
- Jyotiraditya was an intern at the UN Economic Development Cell.
- In 2016, a man died after colliding with a car carrying Jyotiraditya, near Alappuzha in Kerala. Jyotiraditya sent his car and driver to the police station after the incident occurred. He later tweeted about the incident also.
Devastated – sad loss of life – unfortunate accident betw Cochin-Allepy. Arranged for hospital immediately – on way to meet bereaved family!
— Jyotiraditya M. Scindia (@JM_Scindia) August 10, 2016
- Apart from his inherited wealth, Jyotiraditya also has shares in the following nine companies: ARS Trustee Company, PRS Trustee Company, MJS Trustee Company, Ananya Raje Tavern, Priyadarshini Raje Resort, Earth Financial Advisors, Moonrise Financial Advisors, Mahanaaryaman Resort, and Shivali Financial Advisors.
- In 2018, the most gossiped wink by the Congress President, Rahul Gandhi in the Parliament, after he hugged the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, was delivered to Jyotiraditya Scindia. To which, Scindia replied to the press that, “Farmers are committing suicide, women are being raped, Dalits are being oppressed, the lands of tribals are being snatched and unemployment is rising. In spite of all this, the fourth pillar of democracy (press) is more concerned about someone winking.”
- In 1994, Jyotiraditya got married to Priyadarshini Raje Scindia. It was love at first sight for Jyotiraditya. They met over a family dinner for the first time in 1991.
- Here’s a conversation between Jyotiraditya Scindia and journalist, Navika Kumar.