|Indian Actress, Dance Choreographer and Parliamentarian
|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 5”
|in Kilograms- 62 kg
in Pounds- 136 lbs
|Date of Birth
|13 August 1936
|Age (as in 2017)
|Triplicane, Madras Presidency, British India
(now in Tamil Nadu, India)
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign
|Sacred Heart Higher Secondary School
|Tamil Film- Vazhkai (1949)
Telugu Film- Jeevitham (1950)
Hindi Film- Bahar (1951)
|Father- M. D. Raman
Mother- Vasundhara Devi (Actress)
|Playing Golf, listening to devotional songs
|Dev Anand, Dilip Kumar
|Boys, Affairs and More
|Chamanlal Bali (m. 1968–86)(his death)(Physician)
|Son- Suchindra Bali
Some Lesser Known Facts About Vyjayanthimala
- Does Vyjayanthimala smoke?: No
- Does Vyjayanthimala drink alcohol?: No
- Vyjayanthimala’s mother Vasundhara Devi was a leading Tamil Actress.
- Vyjayanthimala used to call her mother by her name and her mother was only sixteen years older than her.
- Vyjayanthimala was raised primarily by her maternal grandmother, Yadugiri Devi.
- When Vyjayanthimala was seven years old, she was chosen to perform a classical Indian dance for Pope Pius XII while her mother was an audience in 1940 at Vatican City.
- While Guru Vazhuvoor Ramiah Pillai taught her Bharata Natyam, she has been trained in Carnatic music by Manakkal Sivaraja Iyer.
- Y. G. Parthasarathy was her maternal uncle, who was Tamil playwright and film actor.
- Director M. V. Raman saw her dance and wanted her to act in his film. He tried to convince her grandmother, who did not want her to act in films. Her grandmother was very worried about her dance and study.
- In 1954, Vyjayanthimala acted in Nagin movie with Pradeep Kumar. The movie became the highest-grossing movie of 1954.
- In 1984, for the first time, Vyjayanthimala tried her hand in Politics. When she contested in 1984 Tamil Nadu general elections for the South Chennai constituency as the nominee of the Indian National Congress opposite Era Sezhiyan, the leader of Janata Party.
- Filming of Sangam commenced in early 1960, Raj Kapoor was playing the male lead. During the filming, Vyjayanthimala is said to have been romantically involved with Kapoor and almost married him. Later in her autobiography, Vyjayanthimala denied this affair. She mentioned that it was the publicity stunt by newspapers in North India to link her with Raj Kapoor and Dilip Kumar and that she was never in any relationship with her co-stars.
- Vyjayanthimala is a Vaishnavite and a pure vegetarian. She is a devotee of Aandaal, one of the 12 Alvar saints of South India. She used to invoke Aandaal before any public performance to gain blessings.
- Vyjayanthimala has received 18 awards and 19 nominations in her life.
- She was honoured with Padma Vibhushan, the second-highest civilian award, in 2024.