|Real Name||Waris Yusuf Pathan|
|Profession(s)||Politician & Lawyer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 187 cm
in meters- 1.87 m
in feet & inches- 6’ 2”
|Political Party||AIMIM (All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen)
|Political Journey||• MLA of the constituency of Byculla, Mumbai (2014-19)
• AIMIM National Spokesperson (2020-present)
|Date of Birth||26 November 1966 (Saturday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||53 Years|
|College/University||• Mumbai University
• KC Law College, Mumbai
|Educational Qualification||• B.com
|Address||Hi-cons Residency, 7th Floor, 702 , 26th Road, Bandra (West),Mumbai - 400050|
|Controversies||• On 15 March 2016, Waris Pathan was unanimously suspended from the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly on the grounds of disrespecting the country, when he refused to say "Bharat Mata Ki Jai." TimesofIndia
• In September 2017, during Ganpati celebrations at Byculla, Waris Pathan chanted "Ganpati Bappa Maurya" while addressing the devotees present in the programme, for which he was criticised by a few Indian Muslim clerics (Maulvis) as well as some of his party members TimesNow
• On February 2020, while addressing an Anti-CAA rally in Kalaburagi, Waris Pathan got involved in a controversy when he said "The time has come now for us to unite and achieve freedom. Remember, we may be 15 crores but can dominate over 100 crores." Later, he was charged for the alleged hate speech. under the Indian penal code sections - 117, 153, and 153A NDTV
|Relationships & More|
|Wife||Gazala Waris Pathan
|Children||Son- Arbaz Waris Pathan (Advocate)
Daughter- Ayesha Waris Pathan
|Parents||Father- Yusuf Pathan (retired sessions court judge)
Mother- Name Not Known
|Assets/Properties||15.80 crore (as in 2019) TheIndianExpress|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Waris Pathan
- His father, Yusuf Pathan was the first NDPS sessions court judge in Mumbai.
- Waris Pathan has had a successful law career before joining politics in 2014. He has fought several high profile cases including Mumbai Blasts 1993 case (defence lawyer), Bollywood actor Salman Khan’s “hit-and-run” case (defence lawyer), and many more.
- He accidentally entered politics in 2014, just a few days prior to the Mumbai Legislative Assembly elections, when AIMIM party members proposed him to contest the upcoming MLA election for Byculla constituency on the ticket of AIMIM; he accepted the proposal and filed his nomination, just a day before the nomination deadline.
- By Campaigning for just 12 days before Byculla assembly polls, Waris Pathan was successful in beating congress’ Madhu Chavan, the then incumbent MLA from Byculla, by 20023 votes.
- Waris Pathan is friends with a number of Bollywood actors.
Today coffee with my Friend Saif ali khan pic.twitter.com/1ska7wyfAN
— Waris Pathan (@warispathan) July 21, 2018
- Waris Pathan and his wife Gazana Pathan were strongly against the introduction of the Tripple Talaq Bill.
I proudly see my wife Gazala Pathan as part of the fuss against interruption in Islamic Laws on streets of Mumbai, We have been working together from a week. when it comes to Islamic law we stand together irrespective of Gender, Ideology, Color, Faith & Creed. Thnk u Mumbai. https://t.co/ml0TzZ2dGK
— Waris Pathan (@warispathan) March 31, 2018
- In August 2019, Waris Pathan was detained by the Mumbai police for allegedly offering prayers for the people of Kashmir at a mosque in Madanpura, Byculla.
- On 22 February 2020, a sedition case was filed against the former MLA, following his “15 crore Muslim can dominate 100 crore Hindus” remark, while addressing an Anti-CAA rally in Kalaburagi, Karnataka.
References/Sources: [ + ]