Hometown: Ludhiana, Punjab
Age: 34 Years
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ajay Pal Sharma
- Ajay Pal Sharma is an IPS Officer from the Uttar Pradesh Cadre of 2011. He is known for his clean image and bold decisions. He often tries ways to make the police efficient and often conducts surprise checks on police officers. This has made him quite popular on social media.
- Sharma was a dentist before he joined the civil services.
- In November 2008, he decided to quit dentistry and be a civil servant.
- Sharma had joined a coaching institute in Chandigarh to prepare for his civil services exam. Although, he returned home in Ludhiana in a few weeks, as he did not find the coaching useful, and then he studied by himself.
- He cleared the written exam of the civil services in 2009, but he was rejected in the personal interview round.
- In the same year, Ajay attempted the exam again, and he passed with an AIR (All India Rank) of 160.
- He was selected as an IPS officer in 2011.
- Ajay has earned a reputation as the “Encounter Man“. In his 9 years of service, he has carried out more than 30 encounters.
- Sharma is known for his bold decisions and quick actions. He has taken several steps during his past postings to increase the efficiency of the police. He has also introduced a grading system, which helps in increasing the quality of work in the police stations.
- Reportedly, wherever he is posted, he meets around 150-200 people of his area daily. Ajay interacts and discusses their problems. He believes that people should trust and know the police or the people would not come forward, help them, or approach them.
- In 2018, he was felicitated by the Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister, Yogi Adityanath, for his exemplary work in reducing criminal gangs from UP.