|Full Name||Ajay Singh|
|Profession||Entrepreneur, co-founder of SpiceJet|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 9”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 75 kg
in Pounds- 165 lbs
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Date of Birth||Year- 1965|
|Age (as in 2017)||52 Years|
|Birth Place||Not Known|
|School||St. Columba’s School, New Delhi|
|College||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
University of Delhi
Cornell University, New York
|Educational Qualifications||Bachelor of Engineering (B.E) from IIT Delhi
Degree in Law (LL.B.) from University of Delhi
MBA in Finance from Cornell University
|Girls, Affairs and More|
Daughter- Avani (Stanford University alumnus)
|Net Worth||Not Known|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ajay Singh
- Ajay Singh, whose father and mother hailed from Alwar and Meerut respectively, spent most of his childhood in Delhi’s Maharani Bagh area.
- During his school days, Singh was an avid sportsperson. Perhaps a born leader, he was the captain of his school’s Cricket and Hockey teams. In addition, he even represented his school in various Football tournaments.
- Interestingly, actor Shah Rukh Khan, who was a batch junior to Singh at St. Columba’s School, was the wicket-keeper of their school’s cricket team.
- While at the Cornwell University, he served as the president of the university’s India Association.
- After completing his MBA, Singh came back to India and joined his family’s business of real estate and fashion accessories.
- In 1996, he was appointed to serve on the board of Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) by the then transport minister of Delhi, Rajendra Gupta. Under Singh’s guidance, DTC’s fleet of 300 buses rose to around 6,000 in just 2 years.
- When Pramod Mahajan took charge as the Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Minister in 1998, he appointed Singh his officer on special duty (OSD), and gave him the responsibility of transforming and revamping ‘Doordarshan’. Under his tenure as the OSD, Doordarshan launched two new channels- DD Sports and DD News.
- Mahajan was so impressed by his performance that when he made a transition to the Telecom ministry, he took Singh along with him.
- Singh, along with Bhupendra Kansagra, then acquired and renamed grounded ModiLuft Airlines to SpiceJet. Notably, SpiceJet sold 38,000 tickets on its first day of operation and had a load factor of over 90%.
- When Singh bid adieu to SpiceJet in 2010, the airline had over INR 800 crore in the bank.
- Kalanithi Maran, Sun Group’s Chairman and Managing Director, then took control over the airlines’ ownership. However, Maran failed miserably in controlling the company’s expenses, thus forcing the company into huge debts by the end of 2015. Nonetheless, Singh came back into the scenario and bought Maran’s majority shares.
- A report that came to light in 2017 stated that Singh had re-acquired the company from Maran by paying just INR 2. This transaction perhaps marks the lowest amount at which a listed company has ever been taken over in India.
- Not many people know that the slogan, “Abki Baar Modi Sarkaar”, which took the entire nation by storm during the 2014 Lok Sabha Elections, was coined by him.
- Singh bought Daewoo Motors India Ltd. in 2010; however, this time he failed to revive a debt-ridden company.
- As an angel investor, he reportedly has stakes in a nanotechnology company in Bangalore and an IT company in Mumbai. In addition, he has also made investments in a real estate company, which builds luxury apartments in central Delhi.
- Also, multiple reports suggest that he is in a public-private partnership with the Delhi government for operating low-floor buses.