|Nickname||AKASA Indian Express|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 5”
|Debut||Playback: Kheech Meri Photo from the film ‘Sanam Teri Kasam’ (2016)
Single: Thug Ranjha (2018)
|Date of Birth||2 April 1994|
|Age (as of 2021)||27 Years|
|College/University||Mithibai College, Mumbai|
|Religion/Religious Views||Sikhism millenniumpost
Note: She was born into a Namdhari family. The Namdharis are followers of 'Kookaism' that differs from mainstream Sikhs.
|Hobbies||Dancing, Reading Books, Riding Bullets|
|Tattoo(s)||• A sign of melody inked on the back of her neck
• “you are enough” inked on the inside of her left arm
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Arvinder Singh (Singer and Music Director)
Mother- Ameeta Singh (Professional Kathak dancer)
|Sibling||Brother- Aasa Singh (Singer-Musician)
|TV character||Joey (from the television series Friends)|
|Actress||Alia Bhatt, Deepika Padukone, Priyanka Chopra|
|Film(s)||Pretty Woman (1990), The Notebook (2004)|
|Singer(s)||Sunidhi Chauhan, Beyoncé, Adele, John Mayer|
|Music Genre||Punjabi Folk Music|
|Cities||Mumbai, New York|
|Car Collection||Volkswagen Polo
Some Lesser Known Facts About Akasa Singh
- Akasa Singh is an Indian singer who is popular for her song Kheech Meri Photo from the film ‘Sanam Teri Kasam’ (2016) and single Naagin (2019).
- Born to a musically inclined family, with a singer father and brother, Akasa was interested in music since childhood. She spent her childhood watching her father performing various stage shows and learning dance moves from her dancer mother. In an interview, she said,
During my formative year I was so inspired by my dad as I watched him perform and listened to his music playing all day at home. At a very young age I was certain that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.”
- Thereafter, she decided to try her hand at acting and started auditioning for various roles. She began her career as an actress when she secured a lead role in a punjabi daily soap at the age of fifteen. She worked as an actor for a year during which she starred in various teenage shows on Channel V and other channels.
- At 17, she joined Indian singer Mika Singh’s band, which gave her an opportunity to travel throughout the world for concerts and live stage performances. Mika Singh was a family friend of Akasa’s family.
- Later, she uploaded a couple of YouTube videos, which went viral. The videos caught the attention of the makers of a reality show, who cast in a singing reality show.
- In 2014, she gained recognition when she appeared as contestant Indian singing reality show ‘India’s Raw Star.’ She was one of the top five contestants, but she did not win the show. During the show, she was mentored by the well-known Indian singer and music director Himesh Reshammiya, who promised to give her a break in Bollywood.
- Himesh Reshammiya kept his promise and offered Akasa to work as a playback singer for the song “Kheech Meri Photo” from the film ‘Sanam Teri Kasam’ (2016). The song went on earn immense appreciation and was dubbed as the selfie anthem.
- She appeared in women empowerment oriented show ‘Angels of Rock’ (2016) by MTV. Along with other Bollywood singers Jasmine Sandlas, Shalmali Kholgade, and Anusha Mani, Akasa toured across India on a bullet; meanwhile, making acquataince with women with inspiring stories. She wrote and composed two songs for the show.
- She played the role of Piya in in an episode of the romance anthology series ‘Yeh Hai Aashiqui’ (2016). The stoyline of the episode revolves around Nick, an orphan boy who earns a living by working in a garage and winning bike races, and Piya, Nick’s arch-rival Adi’s girlfriend. In the episode, Adi gives Piya the task to distract Nick from winning an upcoming race.
- Her debut pop single “Thug Ranjha” (2018) became the most-watched Indian video worldwide on YouTube in the same year. The New Indian Express Composed by the popular singer-songwriter Vayu, the chartbuster song crossed 27 million views in one month.
- She hosted MTV Beat’s ‘Secret Side’ in 2018. While talking about her debut as a host, she said,
I have always loved talking and interacting with people (and apparently I ask a lot of questions), so the hosting makes it legit.”
- She has worked as a playback singer for numerous Bollywood songs like “Kudi Gujrat Di” from the film ‘Sweetiee Weds NRI’ (2017), “Aithey Aa” from the film ‘Bharat’ (2019), and “Prem Pujari” from the film ‘Drive’ (2019).
- Apart from films, she also lent her voice in the web series ‘Maaya: Slave of Her Desires’ (2017) for the songs “Take Me Higher” and “Rafta Rafta” and “Twisted 2” (2017) for the song “Raat Ki.”
- In 2019, she voiced the song “Dil Na Jaaneya” from the film ‘Good Newwz’ for which she collaborated with American pop artist LAUV.
- She lent her voice for the party song “Maaserati” in 2019. In the same year, she rose to prominience with the crowdpuller song “Naagin,” which garnered over 180 million views within three months of its release.