|Real Name||Nidhi Chauhan|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 160 cm
in meters- 1.60 m
in feet inches- 5’ 3”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 60 kg
in pounds- 132 lbs
|Figure Measurements (approx.)||34-30-36|
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Debut||Film (Cameo): Ehsaas: The Feeling (2001)
TV (Judge): Indian Idol Season 5 (2010)
Singing (Bollywood): "Ladki Deewani Ladka Deewana" of film 'Shastra' (1996)
Album: Aira Gaira Nathu Khaira (1998)
Singing (Marathi): "Kande Pohe" from the film "Sanai Choughade" (2008)
Singing (Punjabi): 'Muqabla' from the film "Pind Di Kudi" (2004)
Singing (Tamil): 'Kundu Kundu' from the film "Dhool" (2003)
Singing (Telugu): Mallika (D) (1999)
Singing (Kannada): 'Aeeeyy Aeeyyii' from the film "Hollywood " (2003)
Singing (Pakistani): "Peehu Peehu" from the film 'Pyar Hi Pyar Mein' (2002)
• Filmfare RD Burman Award for the Most Promising Newcomer for her song "Ruki Ruki Si Zindagi" of the film, Mast (1999)
• Kelvinator GR8! FLO Women Award
• Indian Television Academy–GR8! Women Achiever Award for GR8! Women Achiever in Music
• Massal Award for Best International Female Vocalist Award
• Dadasaheb Phalke Award for Best Playback Singer(Female)
• Received Honorary Doctorate from Rai University in 2016
Note: Along with these, she has many other awards, honours, and achievements to her name.
|Date of Birth||14 August 1983|
|Age (as in 2018)||35 Years|
|Birthplace||New Delhi, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Leo|
|Hometown||New Delhi, India|
|School||Greenway Modern School, New Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||12th Standard|
|Address||2 B / 183, Winder Mayer, Andheri West, Mumbai|
|Hobbies||Dancing, Travelling, Driving
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||• Bobby Khan (Director/Choreographer)
• Hitesh Sonik (Music Composer)
|Marriage Date||• Year, 2002 (with Bobby Khan)
• 24 April 2012 (with Hitesh Sonik)
|Husband/Spouse||First Husband: Bobby Khan (Director/Choreographer; 2002-2003)
Second Husband: Hitesh Sonik (Music Composer)
|Children||Son- Tegh Sonik (born on 1 January 2018)
|Parents||Father- Dushyant Kumar Chauhan (Theatre Artist at Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra)
Mother- Name Not Known (Homemaker)
Sister- Suneha Chauhan (Younger)
|Favourite Dessert||Ice Cream|
|Favourite Actor(s)||Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan|
|Favourite Actress||Rekha, Madhuri Dixit|
|Favourite Singer(s)||Lata Mangeshkar, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Sukhwinder Singh, Shakira|
|Favourite Musician(s)||Mariah Carey, Beyoncé|
|Favourite Song||"Always Be My Baby" by Mariah Carey|
|Favourite Colour(s)||Red, Black, Yellow|
|Favourite Cricketer||Sachin Tendulkar|
|Favourite Holiday Destination||Cuba|
|Car Collection||• Maruti Suzuki RitzPatrika
• Honda Accord
• Mitsubishi Pajero
• BMW X5
|Salary (approx.)||₹6-7 lakhs/song|
|Net Worth (approx.)||$10 million|
- Does Sunidhi Chauhan smoke?: No
- Does Sunidhi Chauhan drink alcohol?: No
- Her father is basically from Uttar Pradesh but, Sunidhi Chauhan was born and brought up in Delhi.
- At the age of 4, Sunidhi Chauhan started performing at local gatherings and competitions.
- She was introduced to music by her father and has credited her powerful voice to him. Even, his father left his job and moved to Mumbai only for her singing career.
- Before his family shifted to Mumbai, his father played the role of Ram at the annual Ram Lila of Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra in New Delhi for 12 years.
- The film actress “Tabassum” first noticed her singing during a show in Delhi and gave her the opportunity to sing live in her show, Tabassum Hit Parade.
- At the age of 8, she became a lead singer in music director Kalyanji’s Little Wonders troupe.
- After schooling, she left studies to pursue her musical career.
- Sunidhi never had any professional training for singing; she learned singing by listening to CDs and cassettes of popular singers.
- When she turned 11, she started singing English songs as well.
- When she was 13 years old, she released her first music album based on children. After launching her first album, Sunidhi realized her ‘limitations’ and decided to take formal training in music. She earned classical music from Gautam Mukherjee.
- In 1996, she won a singing reality TV show, Meri Aawaz Suno that was aired on Doordarshan.
- In 1996, she got the chance to sing a song “Ladki Deewani Ladka Deewana” for the film, Shastra, which was her Bollywood singing debut.
- In 1998, she made her album debut with HMV’s Aira Gaira Nathu Khaira containing 5 tracks like ‘Swapna Paree,’ ‘Govinda Kal Mere Ghar Aaya,’ ‘Jiyo Magar Haske,’ ‘Badra,’ and ‘Chudiyan.’
- Thereafter, she worked as a background vocalist for 2 years.
- She received huge fame in 1999 when she recorded a song “Ruki Ruki Si Zindagi” for the film, Mast. The famous singer, Sonu Nigam recommended her name to the music director, Sandeep Chowtala for that song. She has also sung the song “Suna Tha” for that film.
- In 2002, at the age of 18, Sunidhi married a director/choreographer “Bobby Khan.” They first met while working on the album, Pehla Nasha. However, the marriage didn’t go long, and they got divorced a year later.
- In 2005, she, along with sixteen other artists, recorded a single titled ‘Zindagi Pukarti Hai’ to raise money for the victims of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami.
- She made her international singing debut with the song “Heartbeat,” with Enrique Iglesias. This song was included in a special Indian edition of Enrique Iglesias’ album, Euphoria.
- In 2006, she sang the English song “Reach Out” at the opening ceremony of the 15th Asian Games in Doha, Qatar.
- In the same year, she hosted a Radio City 91.1 FM’s morning show, Musical-E-Azam as a guest Radio Jockey.
- In 2007, Microsoft hired her to sing the Windows Vista song “Wow is Now.”
- She made her cameo and special appearances in several Bollywood films like ‘Ehsaas: The Feeling’ (2001), ‘Bhoot’ (2003), ‘Hawaa Hawaai’ (2014), ‘Rangoon’ (2017), etc.
- Sunidhi Chauhan also lent her voice in some animated films like ‘Rio’ (2011) for the role of Jewel and ‘Sons of Ram’ (2012) for the role of Sita.
- She has sung in various languages like Hindi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi, Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Oriya, Nepali, Assamese, and Punjabi.
- She also works as a model and has walked the ramp for various fashion designers.
- The legend, Lata Mangeshkar called her the Numero Uno singer of the generation.
- Sunidhi Chauhan is also popularly known as the modern version of Asha Bhosle.
It was her mother who influenced her singing career.
- On 24 April 2012, she got married to the music composer “Hitesh Sonik” after being in a relationship for more than two years. They both know each other since her childhood days.
- After marriage, she had put on 20 kg weight and was getting breathless on stage. She then joined the gym and started following a strict diet to get fit.
- In 2012, her name was on the list of the Forbes Celebrity 100.
- Sunidhi was also named on the list of Forbes India’s “Top 5 Celeb100 Singers and Musicians.”
- In 2013, she was named on the list of FHM India’s “World’s Sexiest Asian Woman” at the twenty-eighth position and also on the list of MensXP’s “Hottest Female Bollywood Lead Singer.”
- She has also collaborated with the famous Pakistani band ‘Junoon’ and has sung for several Pakistani films including ‘Armaan’ (2013).
- Once, she was scheduled to record a song for Khalid Kidwai’s film, and she even visited Kailash Kher‘s studio to record it. She told Khalid Kidwai and director Ranjeet Gupta to change some lines in the song, as there were some bold political intonations in the lyrics but, they refused to change lines and then, gave this song to Indu Sonali to sing.
- Sunidhi Chauhan has judged many singing reality TV shows like ‘Indian Idol’ Season 5 & 6 (2010 & 2012), ‘The Voice India’ (2015), ‘The Remix’ (2018), ‘Dil Hai Hindustani’ Season 2 (2018), etc.
- In 2016, she did a short film ‘Playing Priya,’ in which she played the lead role of Priya.
- As of 2018, she has sung more than 2000 songs.
- She has also done a number of singing live shows in various countries.
- Sunidhi is an active philanthropist. She has performed for various charity shows and events.
- Chauhan lent her voice for John Lennon’s ‘Imagine’ music video. The video was created as a part of a global campaign by UNICEF to celebrate the ’25th anniversary Convention on the Rights of Child.’
- According to Sunidhi, her voice suits best on the actresses Priyanka Chopra, Katrina Kaif, Kajol, Parineeti Chopra, and Urmila Matondkar.
References/Sources: [ + ]