|Profession||Actress, Assistant director|
|Known for||Her role as Baby's mother in the Malayalam film Kumbalangi Nights (2019)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 4”
|Hair Colour||Salt and Pepper|
|Debut||Malayalam film: Kisan (2006) as Ammalu
Assistant Director: Malayalam film Krishna Gopalakrishna (2002)
|Last Film||Malayalam film Paapam Cheyyathavar Kalleriyatte (2020) as Philomina
|Date of Birth||6 July 1963 (Saturday)|
|Date of Death||27 June 2022|
|Place of Death||Ernakulam, Kerala|
|Age (at the time of death)||58 Years|
|Death Cause||Cardiac arrest The Hindu|
|Address||Reportedly, she resided near Thiruvambadi Temple in Thrissur.|
|Hobbies||Hanging out with friends, Painting|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Divorced|
|Husband/Spouse||Name Not Known|
|Parents||Father- Rao Chettan (Marathi artist)
Mother- Name Not Known
Note: One of her brother's name is Ajith Warrier, who is a Tabla player.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ambika Rao
- Ambika Rao was an Indian actress and assistant director who was predominantly known for working in Malayalam films. She was known for her role as Baby’s mother in the Malayalam film Kumbalangi Nights (2019). On 27 June 2022, she died of cardiac arrest.
- She liked watching movies since childhood. She used to go to the cinema hall with her father and siblings to watch movies.
- She got divorced at the age of thirty-six and made a comeback to films.
- Before working in films, she worked as a data entry operator.
- In an interview, she said that she had also worked in hotels as a waiter.
- Before becoming an assistant director, she was asked to teach Malayalam to actors. She also helped Usha Uthup learn Malayalam for various songs.
- In an interview, she said that her flat became a spot for many actors to stay while shooting for their films.
- She directed the first short film titled ‘Smarana’ in 2016. The film was shot in her flat because she had less budget to direct the film.
- In 2007, she assisted in the film Nagaram, and in 2009, she assisted in the film Daddy Cool.
- In 2010, she helped the costume team with shooting the film, ‘Flying Lessons.’
- She was suffering from kidney failure since 2017 and after shooting for the film Kumbalangi Nights in 2019, she was diagnosed with dialysis. Her brother went through a cardiac arrest in 2020, due to which her treatment was delayed. In 2020, she appealed to her fans to financially support her and said,
The dialysis has been very taxing on my health; I am unable to work as before. Moreover, the lockdown and subsequent restrictions have seriously affected the film industry and my job opportunities. We need more money to pay for all medical expenses. Hence, I thought of starting a fundraiser on Ketto.org to seek help from the people.”
- She was known by the name ‘The Coach’ on the movie sets.
- She appeared in other movies including Lord Livingstone 7000 Kandi (2015), Virus (2019), Safe (2019), and Kumbalangi Nights (2019).