Father: Kumar Mangalam Birla
Age: 26 Years
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ananya Birla
- Ananya Birla is the eldest daughter of industrialist Kumar Mangalam Birla, Chairman of the Aditya Birla Group. Notably, Kumar Mangalam Birla is the eighth richest Indian on the Forbes 2016 billionaire list, with a personal wealth of $6.1 billion.
- Ananya went through a rough phase in her early teens when she switched schools because she struggled to fit in. In an interview, she said, “I switched schools because I could not handle being around people who didn’t understand me because of my surname. I was then forced to drop out of high school to pursue my A levels.”
- In March 2013, Ananya laid the foundation of a microfinance company named Svatantra. The organization aims at providing affordable financial and non-financial solutions to rural women. As of May 2016, the organization had close to 1,20,249 clients across three states (Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh) with a gross portfolio of INR 128 crore.
- With entrepreneurship ‘flowing’ in blood, the aforesaid was just the beginning of a promising career. In June 2016, Ananya entered the e-commerce market with the launch of her online store, Curocarte. At Curocarte, people can buy elite contemporary handcrafted products globally.
- Ananya supports as many as 5 tattoos on her body. When asked about this in an interview, she said, “One says conquer, another Svatantra, a third- mind over matter. Additionally, I have a heart on my collar bone, and another tattoo saying Always Mommy’s Girl.”
- A Philanthropist by heart, Ananya, feels that there is lot of stress these days. In order to counter it, she along with her mother is planning to launch a holistic centre where young adults can get help through different forms of therapy at economical rates.
- On 12 November 2016, Ananya Birla in collaboration with internationally acclaimed music producer, Jim Beanz, released her debut singles track titled Livin’ the Life. The live concert, which was held in Mumbai’s Taj Lands End hotel was witnessed by many Bollywood celebrities like Hrithik Roshan, Dino Morea, Sohail Khan, Suraj Pancholi, etc. Notably, Jim Beanz has previously worked with international stars viz. Nelly Furtado Cheryl Cole, Demi Lovato and Jason Derulo.
- She now writes lyrics, composes music, and has plans to launch a soul and R&B album in the coming year.
- On 24 October 2020, she took to Twitter to slam a US restaurant for being “racist.” In the tweet, she shared her ordeal of confronting racism by an Italian-American dining place that “literally threw” Ananya and her family out of their premises.
This restaurant @ScopaRestaurant literally threw my family and I, out of their premises. So racist. So sad. You really need to treat your customers right. Very racist. This is not okay.
— Ananya Birla (@ananya_birla) October 24, 2020