Age: 62 Years
Profession: Government Official
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 6”
|Service||Indian Administrative Services (IAS) (Retd.)|
|Retirement||31 August 2019|
|Date of Birth||15 February 1959 (Sunday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||62 Years|
|Birthplace||Meerut, Uttar Pradesh|
|School||Govt. Model Senior Secondary School, Sector-16, Chandigarh|
|College/University||• Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh
• Panjab University
• Magadh University, Bihar
|Hindustan TimesEducational Qualification||• Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering (1975-1979)
• MBA in materials management (1979-1981)
• Ph.D. in ancient history
|Controversy||After the appointment of Anup Chandra Pandey as the Election Commissioner, the decision was considered wrong by many people including senior Supreme Court lawyer Prashant Bhushan and CPI(ML) leader Dipankar Ghosh. Prashant Bhushan questioned the decision by posting a tweet on his Twitter account. Twitter|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- VC Pandey (Was a professor in Panjab University)|
|Siblings||Sister- Amita Pandey|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Anup Chandra Pandey
- Anup Chandra Pandey is a retired Indian Administrative Service (IAS) belonging to the 1984 batch, who has served in the state of Uttar Pradesh. He was appointed as the Election Commissioner of India by the President of India Ram Nath Kovind on 8 June 2021.
- Anup Chandra Pandey was born in Chandigarh, India and he completed his formal education from Chandigarh. He earned a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from the Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh. Further, he went to Panjab University to earn a Master of Business Administration degree in materials management. Anup Chandra also earned a Ph.D. in ancient history from Magadh University, Bihar.
- Anup Chandra passed out from the 1984 batch and started working as the Assistant Magistrate in Lucknow. He was appointed to many positions within the Government of Uttar Pradesh and the Government of India. He has served as the Chief Secretary of Uttar Pradesh, Additional Chief Secretary (Finance and Institutional Finance), and Finance Commissioner.
- He also became the chairperson for Udyog Bandhu and he also played a crucial role in planning, organizing, and coordinating the investor’s summit in 2018. The investor summit was attended by delegates from different parts of the world and the country received a collective investment of more than four lakh crores.
- While working as the Joint Secretary in the Union Ministry of Labour and Employment, Anup represented India in the G20 summit, ILO, and other international meetings.
- With a Ph.D. in ancient history, Anup Chandra wrote a book that focused on discussing the evolution, nature, scope, and related aspects of the Indian Civil Service System from the Rig Veda period to 650 AD. The book is titled ‘Governance in Ancient India.’
- Anup Chandra Pandey was appointed as the Election Commissioner by the President of India. He assumed office on 9 June 2021 and became a part of the three-member bench with Chief Election Commissioner Sushil Chandra and Rajiv Kumar.