Age: 49 Years
Profession: Police Officer
|Full name||Sachin Hindurao Vaze The Indian Express|
|Famous For||Being the 'encounter specialist' with the Mumbai Police and for his alleged involvement in the Mukesh Ambani Bomb scare case|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 183 cm
in meters- 1.83 m
in feet & inches- 6’
|Year of Joining||1990|
|State||Maharashtra Police Force|
|Positions Held||• Sub-inspector in Mumbai Police (1990)
• Head of the Special Squad of Thane Crime Branch
• Head of Crime Intelligence Unit (CIU), Mumbai Police
|Date of Birth||22 February 1972 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||49 Years|
|Political Inclination||Shiva Sena The Times of India|
|Controversies||• On 3 March 2004, Sachin Vaze was suspended from his services in Mumbai Police along with three other police officers on murder charges for the death of Khawaja Yunus in custody. Yunus was a suspect in the December 2002 Ghatkopar bombing case. Mid-Day
• In 2017, a government doctor and Right To Information activist Anil Yadav was arrested by Mumbai police for his involvement in cases of money extortion and for threatening builders. Yadav named Sachin Vaze as one of his accomplices in the case.
• In March 2021, Sachin Vaze was removed from his position in the crime branch of Mumbai Police because of his possible involvement in the murder of Mansukh Hiren. Vimla Hiren, Mansukh's wife, alleged that Sachin was involved in the murder of her husband. Mansukh Hiren was a part of the on-going investigation in the Ambani bomb scare case as the Scorpio car with explosives that was found outside Ambani's house on 25 February 2021 belonged to Hiren. Reportedly, Mansukh Hiren had filed an FIR against his stolen car at a police station in Mumbai. The Hindu
• On 11 May 2021, he was sacked by the Mumbai Police for his alleged involvement in the Mukesh Ambani/Antilia bomb scare case. NDTV The order for Waze's dismissal read, "API Sachin Hindurao Waze has been dismissed from police service. Order has been issued today under Provision of 311(2)(B) Constitution of India by Commissioner of Police, Greater Mumbai."
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status||Not Known|
|Sibling||Brother- Sudharma Vaze|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sachin Vaze
- After completing his education, Sachin joined the Mumbai State Police service in 1990. He joined the service as a sub-inspector, and his first posting was in the Naxal-affected area of Gadchiroli.
- In 1992, Sachin Vaze got posted to Thane City Police, where he became famous for solving several big cases related to the people associated with India’s most wanted fugitive Dawood Ibrahim and other big gangsters and drug lords.
- After his promotion from sub-inspector to the head of the Special Squad of the Thane Crime Branch, Sachin Vaze began his encounter spree. Later, he was moved to the elite Crime Intelligence Unit of the Mumbai Police.
- During his police career, Sachin was known for using high-tech instruments to solve a case. With the encounter of over 63 criminals during his police career, Sachin Vaze earned the tag of ‘encounter specialist’ in the Mumbai Police.
- In 1997, a special squad was formed by the Mumbai Police to look after the cases of growing extortion demands and open violence. After his service in Crime Intelligence Unit (CIU), Vaze was transferred to Anti Extortion Cell (AE Cell) with his fellow officer Pradeep Sharma, where the AE department, since its inception, witnessed its first encounter. The AE Cell was a six-year-old division, and this was the first encounter that took place at that time.
- On 3 March 2004, Sachin Vaze and three other police officers were suspended for the murder of Khwaja Yunus in police custody. Yunus was a suspect in the December 2002 Ghatkopar bomb blast. Reportedly, Sachin Vaze had been applying for his reinstatement in the service for a long time, but every time his request was rejected by the Maharashtra Government. In November 2007, he decided to resign from the police service, but the government did not accept his resignation.
- On 6 June 2020, Sachin Vaze’s suspension was revoked and he was reinstated in the force due to a shortage of staff during the COVID-19 crisis in Mumbai.
- On 25 February 2020, a Scorpio car was parked outside Mukesh Ambani‘s house and on further inspection, it was found that the car was filled with gelatin sticks (a type of explosive). The owner of the car, Mansukh Hiren, was found dead on 5 March 2021. Devendra Fadnavis, the leader of the opposition party, demanded the arrest of Sachin Vaze for the alleged murder of Mansukh Hiren. Mumbai Mirror After the allegations, the Maharashtra Government transferred Sachin Vaze from the Crime Branch Unit and he was transferred to Citizen Facilitation Centre (CFC). The Hindu
- After serving the Mumbai police for 30 years, Sachin Vaze was suspended in 2003 for 16 years because of his involvement in the murder of the criminal Khwaja Yunus.
- Sachin Vaze was appointed to handle the case of Arnab Goswami when he was accused of rigging the TRP of his channel by bribing people to watch Republic News. Sachin was a part of the arresting squad and some officials informed that Sachin Vaze kicked Arnab Goswami in the elevator while taking him down to the lobby. Goa Chronicle
- In 2012, Sachin published a book ‘Jinkun Harleli Ladhai’ based on the tragic events of the 26/11 terror attacks in Mumbai.