Ashok Gehlot Age, Wife, Children, Family, Biography & More
Caste: 'Mali' (Gardener) Community (OBC)
Salary: ₹55,000/month + Other Allowances
Wife: Sunita Gehlot
|Nickname||“Gilli Billi” Business Standard|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet inches- 5’ 7”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 75 kg
in pounds- 165 lbs
|Eye Colour||Hazel Green|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress
|Political Journey||1974: President of the Rajasthan unit of NSUI.
1979: Appointed as the President of City District Congress Committee, Jodhpur.
1980: Elected to the 7th Lok Sabha from Jodhpur parliamentary constituency and represented the Jodhpur constituency in 8th, 10th, 11th and 12th Lok Sabha.
1980: Elected as the Member of Public Accounts Committee.
1982: Appointed as the General Secretary, Rajasthan Pradesh Congress Committee.
1982: Elected as the Union Deputy Minister, Department of Tourism.
1983: Became the Union Deputy Minister for Tourism and Civil Aviation.
1984: Served as the Union Deputy Minister for Department of Sports.
1985, 1994, 1997: Became the President of the Rajasthan Pradesh Congress Committee.
1991: Appointed to the Consultative Committee on Communication (Lok Sabha).
1991: Became a member of the Standing Committee on Railway (10th & 11th Lok Sabha).
1998: Became the Chief Minister of Rajasthan.
1999: Appointed as an MLA from Sardarpura (Jodhpur) assembly constituency.
2008: Served as the Chief Minister of Rajasthan again.
2017: Elected the General Secretary of All India Congress Committee.
|Date of Birth||3 May 1951|
|Age (as of 2023)||72 Years|
|Birthplace||Mahamandir, Jodhpur, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Taurus|
|Hometown||Mahamandir, Jodhpur, India|
|College/University||Jodhpur University, Rajasthan|
|Educational Qualification||• Bachelor of Science
• Bachelor of Laws
• Masters in Economics
|Caste||Backward 'Mali' (Gardener) Community (OBC) Rediff.com|
|Controversies||• In 2017, his name was highlighted among the politicians in the list of "Paradise Papers" in an investigation by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalism. However, his name was cleared from the case since no evidence was found against him.
• In 2011, Ashok Gehlot was caught in a controversy when Rajasthan Government gave assets and contracts worth ₹11,000 Crore, allegedly to the firms having financial links with family members of Ashok.
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||November 27, 1977|
|Children||Son- Vaibhav Gehlot
|Parents||Father- Babu Laxman Singh Gehlot
Mother- Name Not Known
• Kanwar Sen Gehlot (died in 2018)
• Agrasen Gehlot
Sister- 1 (Name Not Known)
|Favourite Snack||Parle-G Biscuit|
|Assets/Properties||Bank Fixed Deposits: ₹55 Lakhs
Jewellery: ₹10 Lakhs
Total value: ₹67 Lakhs
|Salary (as the CM of Rajasthan)||₹55,000/month + Other Allowances (as in 2018) Hindustan Times|
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹6.5 Crore (as in 2018)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ashok Gehlot
- Does Ashok Gehlot smoke?: No
- Does Ashok Gehlot drink alcohol?: No (he is a teetotaler) Business Standard
- He hails from a magician’s family of Jodhpur in Rajasthan.
- According to sources, his father, Babu Laxman Singh Daksh, was a popular magician who travelled across the country to perform. In his childhood, Ashok used to accompany his father and perform magic tricks. Reportedly Ashok Gehlot also used to perform magic tricks before a young Rahul and Priyanka Gandhi in the presence of Indira Gandhi.
- Mr. Gehlot is deeply religious and has grown up practicing several Gandhian ways of life; as he is greatly inspired by the teachings of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Ashok Gehlot is a teetotaler who believes in eating only Satvik meal and avoids eating anything after sunset till dawn.
- Before entering the politics, Gehlot wanted to become a doctor and had even taken admission in a Medical College, which he quit later.
- In 1971, he served in the refugee camps during the East Bengali Refugee Crisis.
- He was an active participant in the student politics in his college. He was also the President of the youth wing of the Congress party, NSUI, from 1973 to 1979.
- When Indira Gandhi was on one of her regular visits to the refugee camps, she first noticed Gehlot’s organizational skills there and invited him to join politics; at that time, he was 20 years old.
- Gehlot has also worked in close association with Rajiv Gandhi; when Rajiv was the Prime Minister of India.
- He worked in the camps organized by the Tarun Shanti Sena in Indore, Sevagram, Aurangabad, and Wardha.
- According to sources, during the 7th Lok Sabha Elections in 1980, he was running out of money and had to circulate and stick his campaigning posters himself. Following the elections, he became one of the youngest Member of Parliaments at that time.
- In 1982, for his sworn-in ceremony as the Union Deputy Minister, Department of Tourism, he went to the Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi on an autorickshaw.
- In the mid-1980s, when the controversial godman Chandraswami started developing closeness with the Indian National Congress Party, Gehlot had opposed him strongly.
- In 1989, Ashok Gehlot also served as the Home Minister of Rajasthan.
- Ashok has served as the Chief Minister of Rajasthan twice, first from 1998 to 2003 and then again, from 2008 to 2013.
- In 2013, when Narendra Modi, the then Chief Minister of Gujarat, hugged Gehlot at a public function on stage; the incident had created a buzz in the media. Talking about the incident, Mr. Gehlot explained-
Mere to haath niche hi reh gaye the. Socha yeh ekdum se kya ho gaya aur log kya sochenge (My hands were left down as I was taken aback…I thought what people will think).”
- He has founded the Bharat Seva Sansthan, which provides free books through the Rajiv Gandhi Memorial Book Bank and also gives ambulance services.
- Reportedly, in 2013, when Ashok Gehlot was the Chief Minister of Rajasthan, he had given strict instructions to the Rajasthan Police not to come under pressure any pressure while conducting its probe into allegations of sexual assault against self-styled godman Asaram Bapu.
- In 2018, Ashok Gehlot was trolled online for making a statement, after which people started mocking him as #ScientistGehlot. The video was apparently an incomplete and trimmed clip of his speech. As soon as Gehlot came across the trolls, he took to the Twitter and posted the real video of his speech.
ये इनकी असलियत है और इनकी फितरत में है कि मुझ जैसे साधारण इंसान को भी #ScientistGehlot का दर्जा दे देते हैं।
This is the original, which was edited.. pic.twitter.com/KGygG7RPMn
— Ashok Gehlot (@ashokgehlot51) June 5, 2018
- Click Here to view the video of Ashok Gehlot’s biography.
|↑1, ↑4||Business Standard|