|Other Name||Asit Kumar Modi Facebook - Asit Kumar Modi|
|Profession(s)||TV Producer, Director, Actor|
|Famous For||Being the creator and producer of the Hindi sitcom ‘Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah’ (2008)
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 6”
|Debut||TV (Producer): Hum Sab Ek Hai (1998); aired on Sony TV
|Awards||Indian Television Academy Awards
• 2009: Best Serial-Comedy- Neela Tele Films for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2010: Best Serial-Comedy- Neela Tele Films, Asit Kumarr Modi for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2013: Scroll Of Honour- Neela Tele Films Pvt. Ltd. for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2014: Best Serial-Comedy- Neela Tele Films for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2015: Best Serial-Comedy- Neela Tele Films for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
Indian Telly Awards
• 2009: Best Sitcom: Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2010: Best Sitcom- Asit Kumarr Modi for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2010: Best Comedy Show: Asit Kumarr Modi for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2012: Sitcom/Comedy programme- Asit Kumarr Modi for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2012: Certificate of Appreciation: Asit Kumarr Modi
• 2013: Sitcom/Comedy programme- Asit Kumarr Modi for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2014: Sitcom/Comedy programme- Asit Kumarr Modi for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2015: Indian Telly Awards Best Continuing TV Programme- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
Zee Gold Awards
• 2010: Best TV Show (Comedy)- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2011: Best Comedy Show (Fiction)- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2012: Best TV Show (Comedy)- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2013: Best TV Show (Comedy)-Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2014: Best TV Show (Comedy)- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2015: Best TV Show (Comedy)- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• Golden honour for completing 1000 episodes- Asit Kumarr Modi for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
SAB Ke Anokhe Awards
• 2012: SAB Ka Anokha Show- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2013: SAB Se Anokha Achievement- Asit Kumarr Modi for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2014: SAB Se Anokhe Entertainers- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2014: SAB Se Anokha Show- Asit Kumarr Modi for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2014: SAB Ke AnokheAwards- Asit Kumarr Modi for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2009: Maharathi Award- Asit Kumarr Modi for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah by 9th Annual Gujarati Screen & Stage Awards
• 2010: Most Entertaining Television Fiction Show- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2011: Laadla Parivaar Award for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2012: Favourite TV Comedy Show Award- Asit Kumarr Modi for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2013: Gujarati TV9 5th Anniversary Celebration Award- Asit Kumarr Modi by STAR Parivaar Award
• 2013: Best TV Series- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2013: Zee Rishtey Awards for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2014: Best Comedy Drama Series- Neela Tele Films for Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
• 2015: 5th National Conference organized by The HR Club
• 2015: Game Changer Award- Asit Kumarr Modi
|Date of Birth||24 December 1966 (Saturday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||56 Years|
|School||Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Vidyalaya and Jr. College, Mumbai (1969-1982)|
|College/University||Shri Chinai College of Commerce & Economics, Mumbai|
|Educational Qualification||B.Com (1983-1987) LinkedIn - Asit Kumarr Modi|
|Ethnicity||Gujarati The Times of India|
|Controversies||• Allegation of Non-Payment of Fees
In 2020, Asit was accused of non-payment of fees by the Indian actor Neha Mehta, who played the role of Anjali Mehta in the Hindi sitcom ‘Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah’ (2008). In the same year, she left the show after working in it for more than 12 years. In an interview, when she was asked the reason behind quitting the show, she said,
"I acted in Taarak Mehta as Anjali for 12 years before quitting in 2020. The last six months’ money is pending. After I quit the show, I called them a few times regarding my pending dues. I don’t like complaining… hopefully, there will be a solution soon and I will get my hard-earned money.”
Later, one of the officials of Asit’s team shared in an interview that Asit was upset with Neha’s remark and said that she quit the show without informing the makers. She even stopped answering their calls. The official said as she failed to complete the exit formalities, she would not get any full and final payment. Hindustan Times A year later, another actor from the show Shailesh Lodha, who played Taarak Mehta’s role in the sitcom decided to quit the show after working in it for more than 14 years. According to sources, the reason for his exit was also non-payment of his fees. He even filed a complaint against the makers of the show and initiated a corporate insolvency resolution under section 9 at the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT). Lodha took to his Instagram account to share a cryptic post hinting towards Asit. Later, in an interview, an official from Asit’s team talked about the matter. The official said,
"There isn’t much to say that hasn’t been said earlier. Shailesh Lodha has been like a family only. When he left we respected that. And on numerous occasions through email and on telephone we have requested him to come to the office to sign all required paperwork and take his remaining numeration. We have never denied or refused to give his payment. In every company when people leave, they have to sign full and final papers before complete payment is released. Where is the issue? Instead of going around and complaining, isn’t it better to simply follow the regular procedure? We are not pursuing any case, because we did not refuse to give his payment. We have already informed sir (Lodha) to take his dues and sign the required papers.”
In an interview, while talking about the allegations, Asit said that he never refused to pay Lodha his dues. Asit was also upset with Shailesh for targeting him with his (Shailesh’s) poem and couplets at various events. Shailesh once said that no producer could be bigger than the actor. Hindustan Times After quitting Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah in April 2022, Shailesh Lodha filed a lawsuit against Asit Modi for not paying his dues. In August 2023, Shailesh won the suit following which it was reported in the media that Asit Modi would pay him Rs. 1.05 crore. Hindustan Times
• FIR For Sexual Harassment
In 2023, the Indian TV actress Jennifer Mistry Bansiwal, who played the role of Mrs. Roshan Sodhi in the Hindi sitcom Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah, accused Asit and two of his team members named Sohil Ramani and Jatin Bajaj of sexual harassment. In an interview, she said that the makers of the sitcom were always unfair to her and created problems for her when she tried to get a leave from work. She further shared that Asit Kumarr Modi even passed vulgar comments on her several times. While sharing such an incident, she said that once Asit said to her,
"Aj toh anniversary nahi hai. koi guilt nahi hai, aa jao room mein. The next day, he says aap bohot sundar lag rahi ho, tumhare hoth bohot sundar hai, mann kar raha hai pakadh ke kiss kardu.”
In an interview, when Asit was asked about the sexual harassment allegation, he said,
"We will take legal action as she is trying to defame me and the show both. Since we terminated her services, she is making these baseless allegations.”
Later, the team members of Asit Modi shared that Jennifer's behaviour was not good with the team members, and once, she even damaged the sets’ property. DNA India
|Relationships & More|
|Children||He has a daughter and a son.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Asit Kumarr Modi
- Asit Kumarr Modi is an Indian TV producer, director, and actor. In 2022, his Hindi TV sitcom ‘Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah’ became the longest-running sitcom on TV (by episode count). Guinness World Records
- Asit Kumarr Modi aka Asit Modi Times Now won many awards for directing and acting in plays while he was studying in school and college.
- At the beginning of his career, he worked as a lighting designer for a few Gujarati theatre plays.
- He then managed the production and creative departments of TV serials like ‘Kabhi Yeh Kabhi Woh’ (1994; Hindi) for DD Metro and ‘Kondmara’ (1996; Marathi) for DD Marathi.
- Asit has also handled the production and marketing departments of Gujarati TV serials like ‘Miyan Fuski,’ ‘Parinam,’ and ‘Aahwan.’
- He has performed in various theatre plays and also worked as a technician and assistant director in a few theatre plays and TV serials.
- He started Neela Film Productions Private Limited, a film & TV production house in 1995, which he named after his wife Neela.
- In 2001, he bought the rights to a column ‘Duniya Ne Undha Chasma’ published in Chitralekha magazine. Asit wanted to make a TV series on it and approached various Hindi TV channels but all channels rejected his proposal as during that era, saas-bahu serials were in demand. After almost eight years, SAB TV agreed to make a TV series on his script. In 2008, he worked as a creator and producer of the popular Hindi sitcom ‘Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah.’ The Times of India He has also made a cameo appearance in a few episodes of the TV show.
For the popularity of the show, Asit, along with his team of the show, has received felicitations from various publication houses like Mumbai Samachar, Feelings Magazine, and Creative Club of Ahmedabad.
- He has also produced a few other Hindi TV serials like ‘Krishnaben Khakhrawala’ (2010; Sony), ‘Wah! Wah! Kya Baat Hai!’ (2013; SAB TV), and ‘Sab Khelo Sab Jeetto’ (2013; SAB TV).
- In 2015, Asit Modi, along with his team of Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah, was nominated by PM Narendra Modi as the first nine citizens of India to Swachh Bharat Abhiyan. The Times of India In an interview, while talking about it, Asit said,
I am very fortunate that I got a chance to congratulate PM Narendra Modi Ji in person for taking this brave initiative today to fight the terrorist activities against our country. Modi Ji spared generous time for me and we discussed about ‘Swachhta Abhiyan’, our show and the current situation with our neighbouring country. The Prime Minister also congratulated the team of TMKOC for our achievements and for spreading the awareness of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.”
- Asit has been invited as a guest speaker at various events. In 2015, he appeared as a guest speaker at the Aditya Institute of Management Studies and Research, Mumbai.
- In 2018, he attended one of the events of TEDx Talks as a speaker.
- In 2021, an animated TV series ‘Taarak Mehta Ka Chhota Chashmah’ was produced by Asit which is based on the Hindi sitcom ‘Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah.’ The animated series is aired on Sony Yay.
- Asit is fluent in a few languages like Hindi, English, Gujarati, and Marathi.