Age: 51 Years
Wife: Sunita Kejriwal
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet inches- 5’ 5”
|Political Party||Aam Aadmi Party
|Political Journey||• In November 2012, he laid the foundation of the Aam Aadmi Party.
• In the 2013 Delhi Assembly Elections, he defeated Sheila Dikshit from the New Delhi constituency by a margin of 25,864 votes.
• On 28 December 2013, he became the Chief Minister of Delhi.
• On 25 March 2014, he declared to contest the Lok Sabha elections against Narendra Modi from the Varanasi constituency and lost by a margin of around 3,70,000 votes.
• On 14 February 2015, he became the Chief Minister of Delhi for the second time with a huge majority of 67 out of 70 seats.
• On 16 February, Kejriwal was sworn in as the Chief Minister of Delhi for the third time at the Ramlila Maidan in Delhi.
|Date of Birth||16 August 1968|
|Age (as in 2019)||51 Years|
|Birthplace||Siwani, Bhiwani district, Haryana, India|
|Hometown||Siwani, Bhiwani district, Haryana, India|
|School||• Campus School, Hisar, Haryana, India
• Christian Missionary Holy Child School, Sonipat, Haryana, India
|College/University||Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, West Bengal|
|Educational Qualification||Graduated in Mechanical Engineering|
|Caste||Vaishya (Baniya) NDTV|
|Address||Resident- 87 Block, B.K.Dutt Colony New Delhi- 110001|
|Hobbies||Reading, Doing Yoga, Vipasana, Watching Movies, Listening to Music|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||Ramon Magsaysay Award (2006)
|Controversies||Cases Where Charges Framed
• 4 charges related to Voluntarily causing hurt to discourage public servant from his duty (IPC Section-332)
• 5 charges related to Disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant (IPC Section-188)
• 4 charges related to Obstructing public servant in discharge of public functions (IPC Section-186)
• 4 charges related to Assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty (IPC Section-353)
• 4 charges related to Acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention (IPC Section-34)
• On 13 August 2018, Kejriwal, Sisodia among 15 named accused in Delhi Chief Secretary 'assault' case
Cases where Cognizance Taken
• 4 charges related to Defamation (IPC Section-499)
• 4 charges related to Punishment for Defamation (IPC Section-500)
• 4 charges related to Punishment for Rioting (IPC Section-147)
• 4 charges related to Every member of unlawful assembly guilty of offence committed in prosecution of common object (IPC Section-149)
• 3 charges related to Rioting, armed with deadly weapon (IPC Section-148)
• 2 charges related to Assaulting or obstructing public servant when suppressing riot, etc. (IPC Section-152)
• 2 charges related to Knowingly joining or continuing in assembly of five or more persons after it has been commanded to disperse (IPC Section-151)
Cases Where Convicted
• 1 charge related to Wantonly giving provocation with intent to cause riot-if rioting be committed-if not committed (IPC Section-153)
• 1 charge related to Joining or continuing in unlawful assembly, knowing it has been commanded to disperse (IPC Section-145)
• 1 charge related to wrongful restraint (IPC Section-341)
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year- 1995|
|Wife/Spouse||Sunita Kejriwal (IRS officer)
|Parents||Father- Gobind Ram Kejriwal (Electrical Engineer)
Mother- Gita Devi
|Siblings||Brother- Manoj (younger)- Software Engineer in IBM, Pune
Sister- Ranjana (younger)- doctor in Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), Haridwar
|Street Food||Golgappe Kitchen Tak YouTube|
|Cuisine||Chinese Kitchen Tak YouTube|
|Sweet Dish||Jalebi Kitchen Tak YouTube|
|Food Joint||Taste of Chine, Connaught Place, Delhi Kitchen Tak YouTube|
|Social Activist||Anna Hazare|
|Salary (as the Chief Minister of Delhi)||Rs. 3.67 lakh (as in 2018) The Economic Times|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 2.09 Crore (as in 2015) Rediff|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Arvind Kejriwal
- Does Arvind Kejriwal smoke?: No
- Does Arvind Kejriwal drink alcohol?: No
- After completing his study from IIT Kharagpur, he served in TATA steel.
- He met his wife, Sunita during their Civil Services Training.
- He is a pure vegetarian. He begins his day with Yoga.
- Kejriwal cleared the Civil Services exam in his first attempt.
- He has also worked with the social activist and Nobel Laureate, Mother Teresa.
- One of his classmates revealed in an interview that in college days in Kharagpur, Arvind used to go to slums to teach kids who could not afford to study.
- In 2006, Arvind Kejriwal was awarded Ramon Magsaysay Award for playing a significant role to enact RTI in India.
- He donated his Magsaysay award money to an NGO.
- During the days when he used to work as an IRS officer, Kejriwal refused to have a peon and used to clean his table himself.
- In 2006, he resigned from the Indian Revenue Service to devote his full time to social services.
- Neither does he celebrates his birthday nor his children.
- In 2011, Kejriwal, along with Anna Hazare, staged India Against Corruption (IAC) movement in Ramlila Maidan, Delhi, to pass the Jan Lokpal Bill, which got failed due to political tactics of Congress, BJP, and other political parties.
- After the failure of the movement, Arvind Kejriwal and many other IAC team members decided to launch a political party to fight against the corruption in India. However, Anna Hazare, Kiran Bedi, and many other IAC team members were against entering politics.
- He has a habit of checking each and every document file, each and every line of documents, marking main lines with the marker and making sure that everything is correct. Once, his Colleagues said that he had cross-checked the Jan Lokpal Bill about 100 times.
- Once his blue Wagon R car was stolen near Delhi Secretariat. Software Engineer Kundan Sharma had gifted this car to Kejriwal. However, it was found abandoned in Ghaziabad.
- On 20 January 2015, while going to file his nomination in the 2015 Delhi Assembly Elections, he had to postpone it for the next day. A similar event took place during the 2020 Delhi Assembly Elections when he had to postpone his nomination; even the date was the same, i.e., 20 January. In both the scenario, the reason given by Kejriwal for the postpone of his nomination was that a huge crowd of his supporters had created almost a traffic jam like situation, and hence, he could not reach the collectorate to file his nomination.
References/Sources: [ + ]