|Full Name||Mohammad Hamid Ansari|
|Profession||Civil Servant, Diplomat, Politician|
|Major Designations||1961: Joined the Indian Foreign Service (IFS) and served in Indian missions in Baghdad, Rabat, Jeddah and Brussels.
1976-1979: Ambassador to the United Arab Emirates.
1980-1985: Chief of Protocol to Govt. of India.
1985-1989: High Commissioner to Australia.
1989-1990: Ambassador to Afghanistan.
1990-1992: Ambassador to Iran.
1993-1995: Permanent Representative to the UN, New York.
1995-1999: Ambassador to Saudi Arabia.
Dec 1999-May 2000: Visiting Professor, Centre for West Asian and African Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
2000-2002: Vice-Chancellor, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh.
2002-2006: Distinguished Fellow, Observer Research Foundation, New Delhi.
2003-2005: Visiting Professor, Academy for Third World Studies, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
2004-2006: Co-Chairman, India-U.K. Round Table.
2004-2006: Member, National Security Advisory Board.
2004-2005: Chairman, Advisory Committee for Oil Diplomacy, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
March 2006-July 2007: Chairman, Fifth Statutory National Commission for Minorities.
11th August 2007 to 10th August 2012: Thirteenth Vice President of India and ex officio Chairman, Rajya Sabha.
11th August, 2012: Re-elected as Fourteenth Vice President of India and ex officio Chairman, Rajya Sabha.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 6”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 60 kg
in Pounds- 132 lbs
|Date of Birth||1 April 1937|
|Age (as in 2017)||80 Years|
|Birth Place||Delhi, British India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Aries|
|Hometown||Ghazipur, Uttar Pradesh|
|College||St. Stephen's College, Delhi University|
|Educational Qualifications||BA (Hons)
MA (Political Science)
|Family||Father- Mohammad Abdul Aziz Ansari
Mother- Aasiya Begum
Brother- Not Known
Sister- Not Known
|Books Published||2005: Iran Today: Twenty Five Years After the Islamic Revolution, (ED)
2008: Traveling Through Conflict: Essays on the Politics of West Asia
2013: Teasing Questions: Exploring Disconnects in Contemporary India
2016: Citizen and Society: Selected Writings
|Awards/Honours||1984: Padma Shri
2011: Honorary Doctorate for International Relations, Mevlana University Konya, Turkey
2016: Honorary Doctorate, Mohammed V University, Rabat, Morocco
2017: Honorary Doctorate, Yerevan State University, Yerevan, Armenia
|Major Controversies||• In 2006, he courted a controversy by criticising comments made by Pope Benedict XVI as anti-Islamic.
• He was criticized for the abrupt adjournment of the House on 30 December 2011, when the Rajya Sabha was witnessing discussion on the Jan Lokpal Bill in the wake of the Anna Hazare movement. Around midnight, Ansari came on his seat and the stroke of midnight, he abruptly adjourned the House even though the debate was underway.
• He also has to face criticisms for not attending the First International Yoga Day on 21 June in 2015. Pranab Mukherjee (the then President of India) held the function at Rashtrapati Bhavan and all ministers took part in it. However, Ansari was the only senior constitutional office-bearer not to take part in Yoga Day. For the past 3 years, Ansari has been skipping it every time.
• He also courted controversy for not saluting the national flag when it was hoisted, and the national anthem was being sung at Rajpath on the Republic Day of 2015. Alongside Mukherjee, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, then visiting US President Barack Obama (who was also the Chief Guest at the parade), US First Lady Michelle Obama and Manohar Parrikar (the then Defence Minister of India), Ansari was seen standing at attention.
|Favourite Sports||Golf, Cricket|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
Daughter- Nuriya Ansari
|Net Worth (approx.)||Not Known|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Hamid Ansari
- Does Hamid Ansari smoke?: Not Known
- Does Hamid Ansari drink alcohol?: Not Known
- He was born in a Muslim family in Calcutta, British India. Though his family belongs to Ghazipur in Uttar Pradesh.
- He is the grand nephew of former Congress President Mukhtar Ahmad Ansari who was also a leader of the Indian Independence Movement.
- After completing his education, he started preparing for the Civil Services and in 1961, he cleared the UPSC Examination and was allotted the Indian Foreign Service (IFS).
- After retiring from foreign service, Ansari served in various academic positions.
- In 2006, he had to quit the membership of Congress Party after the Congress party selected him as its candidate for the vice-presidential elections.
- In 2007, he won the vice-presidential elections by defeating his nearest rival, Najma Heptullah of BJP, with a margin of 233 votes.
- In 2012, he again defeated the BJP nominee Jaswant Singh by 252 votes for the another term as the Vice President of India.
- Ansari is known for his role ensuring relief and compensation for the 2002 Gujarat riots Victims.
- With his several years of diplomatic postings in the Middle East countries, he developed a reputation as a scholar of that region.
📢⚡TRENDING: Watch the biography of REAL "Gully Boy" - Naezy⚡