|Other name||Pei Yu Facebook- Bright Tech Talk|
|Famous For||Being the founder and CEO of Nothing Technology Limited, a London-based consumer technology company
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 167 cm
in meters- 1.67 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 6”
|Affiliations||• Nokia (2010)
• Meizu (2011)
• Oppo (2011-2013)
• OnePlus (2013-2020)
• Nothing (2020- Present)
|Awards||• Included in the Marketing Week Vision 100 list (2016)
• Included in Forbes 30 Under 30 list for his influence in the technology industry (2016)
• Included in the Fortune Fortune 40 Under 40 list (2019)
|Date of Birth||11 September 1989 (Monday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||33 Years|
|College/University||Stockholm School of Economics, Stockholm, Sweden|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Science (2008-2011; dropout) Carl Pei- LinkedIn|
|Food Habit||Non-vegetarian Carl Pei- Instagram|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Name Not Known
Mother- Name Not Known
|Siblings||He has a younger sister.
|Entrepreneur(s)||Jeff Bezos, Steve Jobs|
|To-Do List Manager(s)||Email Inbox, Calendar, Asena, Trello, Jira|
|Quote||“Life can be much broader once you discover one simple fact. And that is everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you. And you can change it-you can influence it, you can build your own things that other people can use.” by Steve Jobs|
|School of Philosophy||Stoicism|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Carl Pei
- Carl Pei is a Swedish entrepreneur and the co-founder of the Chinese consumer electronics manufacturer OnePlus. On 29 October 2020, he founded Nothing, a London-based technology company.
- A few months after his birth, his family moved to the U.S. from China. His family spent a few years in U.S. and then relocated to Stockholm, Sweden, where Carl Pei grew up.
- Although Carl Pei was good in subjects like Science and Philosophy, he managed to get average grades in school due to a lack of attention to his studies. During a media conversation, he revealed that due to his interest in computers, it was hard for him to focus in school. He further revealed that he used to spend minimal time in school and invested all his time on the computer once he was back home from school.
- At the age of 20, he began his career with the telecommunications and technology venture Nokia and worked there for around three months.
- In 2011, Pei dropped out of his course to venture into the Chinese smartphone industry.
- Soon, he made a fan website for Meizu, a Chinese consumer electronics company. The Hong Kong branch of the company came across the website in 2011 and offered Carl Pei to work with the marketing team of Meizu.
- In November 2011, Pei joined Oppo as an international markets manager. At Oppo, Carl Pei worked under Pete Lau (Chinese Entrepreneur).
- In 2013, Pei joined hands with his colleague Pete Lau to establish OnePlus in Shenzhen, Guangdong. He was 24 years old at that time. Pei handled the design and marketing part of OnePlus and was positioned as the Global Director of the company. In April 2014, OnePlus launched its first smartphone OnePlus One, which earned a revenue of around $300 million; the company sold around a million units of the phone in its first year. The second device of the company OnePlus 2 was launched by the company through a virtual reality video on YouTube. The video amassed more than 3 lakh views until October 2020. Subsequently, OnePlus launched one of its fastest-selling smartphones OnePlus 5.
- Pei left OnePlus in 2020 to start his new firm.
- On 29 October 2020, he founded Nothing, a consumer technology firm based in London. His venture is backed by many popular investors like Tony Fadell, the inventor of iPod, Kevin Lin, the co-founder of Twitch, Steve Huffman, the CEO of Reddit, and Casey Neistat, an American YouTuber. The company’s mission is to remove barriers between people and technology and create a seamless digital future.
Nothing’s first product ‘ear (1)’ was launched on 27 July 2021. The company released its first smartphone ‘Phone 1’ globally on 12 July 2022. With a unique design and a transparent back, Phone 1 was launched in India at Rs. 32,999.
- Shortly after Nothing released its smartphone Phone 1, #DearNothing started trending on Twitter in India. The Indian twitter users did not use the hashtag to support the phone’s sale or to promote its specifications, but to express their displeasure towards the brand. Apparently, South Indian people got enraged after a popular YouTube channel named ‘Prasadtechintelugu’ uploaded a fake Phone 1 unboxing video in which the creator was seen unboxing the newly launched Nothing Phone 1 box. As he opens the box, it appears to be empty with a letter inside it that read,
Hi Prasad, this device is not for South Indian people. Thank you.”
The letter was written in the same dotted font as the one used by Nothing in its promotional material. The video was a prank video made by the creator of the channel and was made as a protest against Nothing for not providing Nothing phone (1) promotional units to regional content creators in India. However, the people took it to be an official communication from Nothing and started criticising the company and its founder Carl Pei for their act. The Chhattisgarh One of the tweets read,
#DearNothing…Even we are part of India!”
- Carl Pei loves travelling, reading books, and listening to music in his leisure time.
- He is well-versed in three languages English, Swedish, and Chinese.
- During an interview, Carl disclosed that his workspace is usually very messy. He said,
My workplace is actually very messy. I’m trying to get all my work done in the office and not take any home. Oftentimes, it means staying very late and having a lot of stuff on my desk. My workplace setup consists of a 27-inch iMac with a Magic Trackpad left of the keyboard. For music, I use a nuForce u-DAC 2 and a Graham Slee Solo amp together with the Sennheiser HD650s. It’s bliss.”
- Carl Pei is a social drinker.
- In one of his interviews, Carl revealed that he used to own nine same print T-shirts a few years back and used to wear one each every day.
- Carl is a trained Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) artist.
- In an interview, Pei revealed that he was once a fanatic for Apple products.
- Pei has expressed his admiration for the American business magnate Steve Jobs on several platforms. He has placed a small bobblehead of Steve on his work desk (ever since he started working). Pei once went to see Job’s film barefoot as a tribute to him. Pei shares a similar career path with Steve Jobs; both of them first co-founded a technology firm and then went on to form their own company.
- Holding a flair for short and impactful taglines, Carl coined the popular term ‘Flagship Killer.’ He has also fabricated the popular OnePlus tagline ‘Never Settle.’
- He prefers eating ice cream to satisfy his sweet tooth.
- In one of the ‘Ask Me Anything’ sessions on his Instagram account, Carl confessed his love for animes. In 2019, during Halloween, he dressed up like Naruto Uzumaki from the popular Japanese Manga series.