|Profession(s)||Vegetable Seller and Plastic Hawker|
|Known For||Killing and Dismembering 7 people from 1998 to 2007 in Delhi|
|Known As||The Butcher of Delhi MensXP|
|Physical Stats & More|
|The Indian Express Height||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|Date of Birth||Year, 1967|
|Age (as of 2022)||55 Years|
|Birthplace||Ghosai, Madhepura, Bihar|
|Hometown||Ghosai, Madhepura, Bihar|
|Educational Qualification||Upto Class 8 India Today|
|Food Habit||Non-vegetarian The Cinemaholic|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Second Marriage- Year, 1997|
|Wife/Spouse||• First Wife- Name Not Known (seperated within a year of their marriage)
• Second Wife- Mamata (works at shoes factory)
|Children||He has five daughters from his second wife.|
|Parents||Father- Radhey Kant Jha (worked in irrigation department)
Mother- Champadevi (school teacher)
|Siblings||He has five siblings named Nityanand, Indranand, Kalanand, Sadanand, and Deepak Kumar. One of his brothers works at the Central Reserve Police Force, and his other brother works at Bihar State Police.|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Chandrakant Jha
- Chandrakant Jha is an Indian serial killer, who is known for brutally killing his associates from 1998 to 2007 in Delhi.
- He was born into a well-to-do family. His mother being a working woman could not spend much time with him and was of aggressive nature. In childhood, Chandrakant used to feel the absence of his parents at his home. He used to hate his parents for not taking care of his education and food.
- In 1986, after completing class 8 in a local school in his village, he shifted to Delhi in search of a job. In Azadpur Mandi, Delhi, he started working as a vegetable seller in a sabzi mandi. He also worked as a plastic hawker.
- In his initial years in Delhi, he was once attacked by a goon from Delhi who stabbed him in the chest. He was even taunted by the goons for being a ‘Bihari Migrant.’ After the attack, only his friend came forward for his help and took him to the doctor. He was deeply affected by the incident, and he decided to learn Karate for self-defence. He then killed the goons who attacked him earlier.
- Reportedly, at that time the local police used to demand money from the poor vegetable hawkers, and even the union leaders used to unfairly deduct money from vegetable sellers’ daily wages.
- In 1998, Chandrakant decided to take action against his union leader, who was known by the name Pandit in that area. Jha and Pandit then had a fight in which Pandit got injured, and he filed a complaint against Jha. Pandit even dragged Jha’s wife into the matter, and she was also jailed. In the jail, he was tortured by the local police, especially Balbir Singh. He was beaten and stripped naked in front of other prisoners. The incident shooked Jha from inside, and he started believing that violence is the only answer for every injustice. Gradually, he started developing an aggressive nature and became a short-tempered person.
- After the incident, he shifted his wife and daughters from Delhi to some other place, and Jha started living alone in JJ Colony, Haiderpur, Delhi. At that time, he used to help the migrants from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar to get jobs in Delhi. Jha used to provide them accommodation in his locality and used to keep them like his children. By that time, he became very short-tempered and aggressive over petty things like drinking, smoking, lying, and eating non-vegetarian food. He had become so aggressive that he started brutally murdering his friends (migrants from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar) for such small mistakes.
- In 1998, he killed Mangal, alias Aurangzeb, in Adarsh Nagar, and this was Jha’s first murder. The local police then arrested him. However, in 2002, he was released due to the lack of evidence.
- In June 2003, he committed his second murder. He killed his associate named Shekhar for being a drunkard. After the murder, he threw Shekhar’s body somewhere in Alipur, Delhi.
- His third murder was in November 2003. He killed one of his co-workers named Umesh for lying and betraying him. He threw his body near gate number 1 of Tihar Jail, Delhi.
- In November 2005, his associate named Guddu was murdered by Jha for smoking ganja. He threw the body near Sulabh Sauchalya in Mongol Puri, Northwest Delhi.
- He killed his other associate named Amit in October 2006 for being a womaniser. Jha cut Amit’s head, arms, and legs and the rest of the body was thrown in front of Tihar Jail by Chandrakant.
- The other murders committed by Jha were in April 2007 and May 2007. In April 2007, he killed Upender (his associate) for having an affair with one of his daughters, and a month later, he killed his friend Dalip for eating non-vegetarian food.
- After committing the murders, he used to cut the head, limbs, and genitals from the body and throw it in different places to confuse the local police. He used to challenge the Delhi Police by keeping notes with the bodies thrown out of Tihar jail. In one of the murder cases, he left a note in which he wrote,
Till now I have been facing an illegitimate case, but this time I have really committed murder. You people will never be able to catch me, I am not afraid of opening the case. If you can catch me in this murder, then catch me and show me, your father and brother-in-law, CC.”
- According to some media sources, Chandrakant used to start the death ritual by 8 pm every time after tying the victim’s hands. After killing the victims, he used to eat in the same room in the presence of the victim’s dead body and blood spread on the floor. He used to belive that throwing the heads of the victims in river Yamuna would provide him moksha.
- From 1998 to 2002, he was arrested in the murder cases several times, but due to the lack of evidence, he was released. In February 2013, he was arrested and found guilty of three murders. He was charged with a fine of Rs 20,000 and was sentenced to death by the Rohini Court, Delhi. On being arrested he said that he had no regrets. He further said that he was the master of chopping bodies. Reportedly, Jha was taking revenge from the Delhi Police for punishing him for the crimes he had never committed. However, in 2016, his death sentence was changed to life imprisonment. As of 2022, he is imprisoned in the same jail in front of which he used to throw the parts of dead bodies.
- In an interview, when the Delhi Police officials were asked about the arrest, they said,
Jha has some psychological issues which led him to such heinous crime. Jha’s first mistake was to send a letter to the police after leaving his fourth victim’s (Amit) torso in front of Tihar last October 20. Jha had blamed former Additional Deputy Commissioner Manish Agarwal and Head Constable Balbir Singh in the letter for forcing him to take to the killing spree. In the letter, Jha also admitted to having committed a murder in November 2003 and dumping the body near Tihar. It proved that he was already out of Tihar by November 2003, so we had to look for a person who was lodged before 2003.”
The officials further continued,
Jha made another mistake by calling up the Hari Nagar SHO immediately after dumping the body last October 20. We ensured that the SHO spoke with the killer as long as possible and got more clues. The conversation lasted for seven minutes. Our next clue was to compare the handwriting on the note found with the bodies and handwritten statements of externes. We suspected Jha was the killer but the difficult part was identifying his hideout because he changed his address every fortnight. We knew at least four hideouts: Yamuna Vihar, Alipur, Badola village and Haidarpur. Our last clue was that he drove a scooter-fitted rickshaw. We combed all four places and finally found him in Alipur while he was eating halwa with his children.”
- Later, when reporters asked Chandrakant’s wife Mamata about her husband, she said,
We had a love marriage. He is tall and good-looking and very smart. He was 13 years older than me. His parents were big people his father retired from the government, and his mother was a school teacher. I don’t know how far he studied, but he loved reading newspapers. He could never kill someone for eating non-vegetarian. He used to love eating meat and fish. He liked rich, oily,non-vegetarian curries with his rotis, and I like it the same way.”
When she was asked about the murder cases, she shared a completely different story. She said,
The police said that we lived apart when he was attempting the murders. How could we stay apart? I could not make him stay away from me, even if I tried. According to the police, they were all his associates were ever known to him. If there were people coming from his village to stay with him, I would have known about it. We never had rented the room in Haiderpur, where he is said to have committed the murders.”
He never let me step out of the house. He would work all day and then come home to me. I never imagined I would have to work to earn a living. I was expecting my sixth child when he was arrested for the second time on May 19, 2007. I was making halwa. My children were playing and he was watching me cook. My neighbours told me later that the whole street was crowded when the police came. The police picked up my husband, put him in one car and got me and my children to sit in another car. We were kept in different lock-ups in the same police station for four days. I did not eat or drink, I was so scared. My children would keep crying. I suffered a miscarriage after we came home four days later.”
- In July 2022, a series named ‘Indian Predator: The Butcher of Delhi’ was released on Netflix which is based on the murders committed by Chandrakant Jha. According to the series, Jha is on parole as of 2022.