Father: Balwinder Singh
Age: 30 Years
Hometown: Jaura Village, Tarn Taran, Punjab
|Nickname||Roopa The Tribune|
|Famous for||Being one of the eight suspected shooters in the Sidhu Moosewala murder case
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 172 cm
in meters- 1.72 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|Date of Birth||Year, 1992|
|Birthplace||Jaura Village, Patti, Tarn Taran, Punjab|
|Date of Death||20 July 2022|
|Place of Death||Bhakna Kalan village in the Amritsar rural belt|
|Age (at the time of death)||30 Years|
|Death Cause||Encounter The Tribune|
|Hometown||Jaura Village, Patti, Tarn Taran, Punjab|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status||Not Known|
|Parents||Father- Balwinder Singh (Agriculturist)
Mother- Palwinder Kaur (Homemaker)
|Siblings||Brother- Ranjot Singh (younger; Indian Army Personnel)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Jagroop Singh
- Jagroop Singh, alias Roopa, was an Indian criminal, who was one of the eight suspected sharpshooters involved in the Sidhu Moosewala murder case. He was an associate of the jailed Indian gangster Lawrence Bishnoi.
- Earlier, his father used to work as a driver, but at the request of his (Jagroop’s) younger brother, he started farming on his two acres of land in the village Jaura.
- In school, Jagroop fell into bad company and started consuming drugs under the influence of his friends. Afterwards, he left his studies mid-way and started working at a motorcycle agency. He worked there for a short span.
- Hooked on drugs, Roopa began selling his household items to collect money for drugs. Soon, his family came to know about his addiction to drugs. His parents tried to convince him to quit drugs, however, they failed miserably.
- He often used to force his mother to pay for his drugs. Apparently, when she refused to give him any money, Jagroop often snatched it from her by beating her and pulling her hair.
- His drug addiction further pushed him into crimes like robbery and dacoity.
- Disappointed with their son’s involvement in some serious crimes, his parents oust him from their house in 2017. Thereafter, he left the village, vowing not to come back again.
- Soon, he indulged in crimes like seeking ransom, quarrels, assault, and attempting to murder
- As per the Punjab Police, Jagroop is a Category-B gangster. He has around 17 cases of crime registered against him in cities like Tarn Taran, Amritsar, Jalandhar, and Ferozepur. The Tribune
- In April 2022, the Majitha police raided Jagroop’s house after they received a tip-off that Jagroop and his associate Gursharanjit used to supply drugs in their black Scorpio and had several illegal weapons. Apparently, a source told the police that they could find several illegal weapons at Jagroop’s house if they immediately conducted a raid there. The police right away reached his house. Although Jagroop fled his home along with his aide Gursharanjit, the police managed to seize a pistol with eight bullets, a revolver with 23 live rounds, alleged drug proceeds, Rs 4.92 lakh cash, and an SUV (Scorpio) from his residence. Later, a case under Sections 21-27A-61-85 of the NDPS Act and Sections 25/27/54/59 of the Arms Act was registered against Jagroop and Gursharanjit. The Tribune
- On 29 May 2022, some unidentified assailants killed the Punjabi singer and Congress leader Sidhu Moosewala in the Jawaharke village, Mansa. Apparently, Moosewala was driving his Thar jeep when the incident took place. He was accompanied by a friend and a cousin, who also suffered severe injuries. According to the police, Sidhu’s jeep was obstructed by a white Bolero and a dark grey Scorpio and around 40 rounds were fired at him by the sharpshooters. He was immediately rushed to a nearby hospital, however, the doctors declared him brought dead. Following Sidhu’s murder, the Indian gangsters Sachin Bishnoi, Lawrence Bishnoi, and Goldy Brar took to Facebook to claim the responsibility for Moosewala’s murder. Times Now
- As the police investigated the case, they suspected the involvement of eight sharpshooters in the case. In June 2022, the Mansa Police released the list of the suspected sharpshooters which included Jagroop Singh Roopa, Manpreet Singh Mannu, Harkamal alias Ranu from Punjab, Priyavrat Fauji and Manjeet alias Bholu from Haryana, Saurav Mahakal and Santosh Jadhav from Pune, and Subhash Banuda from Rajasthan.
- Post his name popped up in the murder of Sidhu Moosewala, a police team headed by Sub-Inspector Charan Singh, head of Sarhali police station, visited his village to conduct a raid on Jagroop’s house. When they reached the spot, they found the doors of his house locked. Afterwards, when his family was questioned about their absence from the house, Jagroop’s mother replied that they had gone to a relative’s place to attend a funeral and were not in hiding.
- In a media conversation, when asked about the criminal activities of her son, Jagroop’s mother said that she had last seen her son around four years ago. She also told the media person that earlier, when Jagroop lived with them, he used to commit the crime and run away, and later, the police used to harass the entire family.
- During the same conversation, she also said that if Jagroop’s name was involved in the murder of Sidhu Moosewala, he should also be shot dead by the police wherever he is found.