|Real Name||Dhirajlal Hirachand Ambani|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 6”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 80 kg
in Pounds- 176 lbs
|Hair Colour||Salt and Pepper|
|Date of Birth||28 December 1932|
|Place of Birth||Chorvad, Gujarat, India|
|Date of Death||6 July 2002|
|Place of Death||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Cause of Death||Stroke|
|Age (at the time of death)||69 Years|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Capricorn|
|School||Bahadur Kanji High School, Junagadh, Gujarat|
|Educational Qualifications||10th standard|
|Awards/Achievements||• In 1998, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania awarded him "Dean's Medal."
• In 2000, FICCI named him the "Man of 20th Century."
• In 2016, Government of India awarded him Padma Vibhushan (posthumously).
|Family||Father- Hirachand Gordhanbhai Ambani (school teacher)
Brother- Ramaniklal Ambani, Natwarlal
Sisters- Trilochana Ben, Jasumatiben
|Caste||Vaishya (Gujarati Modh Bania)|
|Controversies||He was often criticized for manipulating bureaucrats, media houses and politicians.|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Marriage Date||Year 1955|
|Children||Sons- Mukesh Ambani, Anil Ambani
Daughters- Nina, Dipti
|Net Worth (approx.)||$2.9 billion (as in 2002)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Dhirubhai Ambani
- Did Dhirubhai Ambani smoke?: No
- Did Dhirubhai Ambani drink alcohol?: No
- He was born in a Modh Family to Jamnaben and Hirachand Gordhanbhai at Chorwad in Junagadh city and was the 2nd son of his parents.
- His father was a school teacher.
- He started his entrepreneurial career by selling chaat-pakoda to pilgrims in Mount Girnar.
- He left his studies after the 10th standard.
- At the age of 16 in the year 1955, he moved to Aden, Yemen to join his elder brother- Ramniklal who was working there at that time.
- His 1st job in Aden was that of a gas-station-attendant.
- While in Aden, he also worked with A. Besse & Co (Antonin Besse) for a salary of 300 INRs.
- When he came back to Mumbai from Aden in the year 1957, he had only 500 INRs in his pocket.
- In 1960, he co-founded a company- Reliance Commercial Corporation with his brother- Champaklal Damani. The main business of Reliance Commercial Corporation was to export spices and to import polyester yarn.
- He set up his 1st office at the Narsinathan Street in Masjid Bunder, Mumbai. It was a 350 square feet room with a telephone, 2 tables and 3 chairs.
- In 1965, the partnership of Dhirubhai and Champaklal Damani was ended and Dhirubhai decided to continue the polyester business of the firm.
- In 1966, he renamed the company as Reliance Textiles Industries Pvt. Limited and established a synthetic fabric mill at Naroda in Gujarat in the same year.
- He issued his company’s 1st Initial Public Offering in 1977 which was over-subscribed by 7 times.
- In 1985, he renamed the company from Reliance Textiles Industries Pvt. Limited to Reliance Industries Limited.
- In 1986, he suffered a stroke, which had paralyzed his right hand. He handed over the control of Reliance to his sons Mukesh and Anil Ambani in the same year.
- In 1996, Reliance Industries became India’s 1st private sector company to be rated by International Credit Rating Agencies.
- In 1998, an unauthorized biography of Dhirubhai Ambani with the title- The Polyester Prince was published by Hamish McDonald but he couldn’t sell the book in India because of the legal threat by the Ambanis.
- On 24 June 2002, he suffered a major stroke and was admitted to the Breach Candy Hospital in Mumbai.
- After being in a coma for more than a week, he died on 6 July 2002.
- A Hindi film- Guru was released on 12 January 2007, which was based on the life of Dhirubhai Ambani.
📢⚡TRENDING: Watch the biography of REAL "Gully Boy" - Naezy⚡